Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas School

Banning guns today will not stop one school shooting. Banning school will stop every school shooting.

The democrats want total disarmament of the public no matter what they say or how they try to soften their responses. The term i have heard used is "strike while the iron is hot". They are on TV even before they have recovered the bodies trying to get every bit of mileage out of this tragedy. Division and throwing a tantrum is not the way to a solution if there even is one.
    Last edited by centurian; 05-26-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Banning guns today will not stop one school shooting. Banning school will stop every school shooting.
    The argument is not at all whether banning guns will prevent school shootings, the debate should be whether banning certain type of guns will inhibit the inability to kill large amounts of people quickly before you can be neutralized.

Quote Originally Posted by Test View Post
    The argument is not at all whether banning guns will prevent school shootings, the debate should be whether banning certain type of guns will inhibit the inability to kill large amounts of people quickly before you can be neutralized.
    The answer to that is no.

The discussion of killing a few vs killing a lot doesn't carry much weight. To minimize it, all guns must be banned & confiscated. Anything else is a pipe dream in utopia world.
    Last edited by Mars Bluff; 05-26-2022 at 09:35 AM.

from the reports i read, it seemed like the guy crashed his truck from being chased by police and then ran into the school.

if that's true, how in god's name does he get the opportunity to take that many lives with the police right behind him? when they heard the shooting start, how do they not make a concerted effort to gain entry into the school and neutralize the threat?
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

So we should ban a pump shotgun and buckshot as well? Or just the actual scary looking guns?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    from the reports i read, it seemed like the guy crashed his truck from being chased by police and then ran into the school.

if that's true, how in god's name does he get the opportunity to take that many lives with the police right behind him? when they heard the shooting start, how do they not make a concerted effort to gain entry into the school and neutralize the threat?
    Locked door & this never happens. A LOCKED DOOR!!!! He ran straight into a classroom & it was over at that point. LEO did a great job with what they had to work with.

I will be the very small minority in my opinions and that is okay.

I am a firm believer that one’s personal values and opinions SHOULD change over time, this doesn’t mean indecisive or valueless, it means open minded based on new life experiences as that is where most of our personal values come from.

I support the 2nd amendment, I own guns, support concealed weapons permit with proper regulations, and the ability of self defense at home.

I am in the business of caring for people for a reason, it is a calling and consistent with what drives me (intrinsic motivation) . I believe seeing first hand what gun violence does to families, communities is one of these experiences that has been a catalyst in my personal values, in todays times these values are considered political.

I no longer feel the 2nd amendment should be absolute without restrictions. Yes it is unfair, but our society has proven incapable to deserve this absolute freedom.

I have issues that a 18 year old and 1 day individual can go purchase 2 high capacity weapons in a course of a few days. This seems obvious. However I also respect the belief that if “we” give an inch they will take much more.

My believe that all law abiding citizens have right to bear arms will not falter, unfortunately I am also at point where I feel it should be “easy” for anyone to purchase a “tactical weapon” . I also believe that with freedom, you have responsibility, if someone has easy access to your weapons and murders someone for them , you should be held partially liable. There has to be incentive to not allow one’s freedom to lead to the loss of life of another.

With all this said, I still believe the primary focus should be on addressing the underlying reasons why an 18 year old would go out and kill others. There have been great comments on this in this thread I agree with.

So yes, I wish we as Americans could handle the freedom of unrestricted gun ownership for self defense and recreation, unfortunately we have proven we can’t in increasing examples, I don’t have all the answers but there are obvious restrictions that could be in place that don’t limit said ability of self defense and recreation while allow progress in making our communities safer.

I take my job of being advocate and provider of individual, family, and community health very seriously, it doesn’t take too many times treating a kid for depression from loss of family member, delivering a baby born to a fatherless family due to being on the wrong end of an argument, or getting covered in blood running a code in an ER for gun shot wound to have vast changes on those “experiences” that all shape our personal belief whether moral, ethical, or political.

-former member known as Dawhoo

Yes I have moderators delete my account, but came on here to see thoughts on this issue and felt inclined to share my thoughts that I know are in small minority and will even anger some, I don’t give a shit.

I typed this on a phone in a hospital call room, forgive the poor grammar and typing.
    Simply…you are wrong. I’ve been soaked in blood several times during my career while trying to secure an airway on people who’d been shot or stabbed. One of the worst experiences of my career was having three small children rolling in on gurneys screaming for mommy and daddy In pain and fear; we’d just pronounced mom dead, and dad was still technically alive, but as I provided c-spine immobilization, his brain matter was hemorrhaging out of his skull in between my fingers.
    Maybe I’m weird, but I never once started down the path that our society was proving incapable of handling the freedoms we are allowed to drive automobiles, own firearms, or own knives. I somehow never thought that we should ban cars or ban driving at night because some piece of shit chose to drive into that family while smashed out of his gourd.

I coulda stopped at “you are wrong,” but I want to make sure you know that attaching your “position of authority” on the subject to your piss poor logic and dangerous opinion won’t float very far with us or anyone else with decent sense for that matter.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Ok. You just lost any shred of credibility you may have had. What are you doing on this site when you have zero understanding of basic firearms. You are a troll and a closet leftist lib…go away please.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

What does it take to get your account deleted by moderators?

The govt could control guns about like they control pot. Stoners are gonna get stoned, crazies are gonna get crazy
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Would you pull the plug on a morbidly obese patient having a heart attack because they weren't able to manage their body better?

Please don't delete anybody's account because of a disagreement on this issue, please. Test is welcome to be here, as is the silent few who might agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post

If you’ll recall, the “police” in parkland were also there and they stayed outside hiding behind trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If you’ll recall, the “police” in parkland were also there and they stayed outside hiding behind trees.
    Sounds like the same may have happened here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-na...132129728.html

My solution is simple. Make parents liable for the actions of their children.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    My solution is simple. Make parents liable for the actions of their children.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Heck no, dude. With all due respect, that's a crazy idea. However, if a parent is proven to be complicit in a crime, that's another thing. Prosecute the piss outta them.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I'm so tired of reading the same shit over and over again. 2nd amendment, put God back in schools, social media, now one of you wants to arrest parents who's kids are crazy..

Take the emotion on both sides out of this discussion and it's pretty simple. Not 100% reliable but better than continuing to do the same thing over and over again with the same shitty result.
    Lock doors from the outside and have full time, armed police / security guards, appropriate for the size of each school. It won't stop all crazy people willing to die to inflict harm on innocent children but it will stop most of them.

Doors get left open for parents who are going to attend an awards assembly. Doors also get propped open by teachers too cool to keep their keys in their pocket. There are a many safety compromising actions that on the wrong day can lead to disaster.

Like in sports, you perform in real time like you do in practice. And "we" suck at practicing at safety in our day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by w33kender View Post
    Doors get left open for parents who are going to attend an awards assembly. Doors also get propped open by teachers too cool to keep their keys in their pocket. There are a many safety compromising actions that on the wrong day can lead to disaster.

Like in sports, you perform in real time like you do in practice. And "we" suck at practicing at safety in our day to day.
    Good points, especially your last one. I guess my rebuttal would be those things should no longer be an option but the reality of that being enforced is another thing entirely. I still think armed personnel should become the standard. Nothing will work 100% but anything is better than the current plan.