Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summerton Duck Fest

Duck fest started as a way for the small town of Summerton to try and capitalize on some of the revenue generated by the duck pond craze. The small business owners and the small town revitalization committee wanted to try and keep some of the money in town instead of going to manning, santee, sumter, etc. Summerton doesn't have much to offer but realized that if some fella from Charlotte was crazy enough to lease a blind in Rimini for 20k then he must be crazy enough to shop the local gift shops, bakery, and such. I'm just a summerton resident and I try to participate any way that I can. It's a fun event that's growing quickly. Our mayor, who is a longtime SCWA employee works unbelievably hard for this town. I will add that this festival is no way connected to scwa outside of an employee being our mayor. In the last 20 years some folks have really prospered from the duck pond explosion and some have really lost. As I already said, Summerton doesn't offer much in the form of businesses but is trying to gain from some of this out of town money that flows into Clarendon county each fall.
    U serious Clark?

My brother in law in the contest there
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    "Our mayor, who is a longtime SCWA employee works unbelievably hard for this town. I will add that this festival is no way connected to scwa outside of an employee being our mayor."
    I have no words...

Let me add that I have no problem with Summerton promoting itself. It should and it must to survive. One can only hope that they take the high road instead of slouching towards the gutter...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I have no words...
    Everybody has to work somewhere unless you live on mailbox money.
    cut\'em

Yep.

I understand a brother's gotta make a living, but a man willingly being employed by SCWA would immediately call me to question the man's ethics and moral compass. I don't care if all he does is cut the grass.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 07-12-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I used to love the diner. I probably still might, it's just been a while.

Plan on being there for sporting clays and calling contest
    80-20 Genaration

I’ll outshoot you and out call you Dwayne
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 07-12-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I used to love the diner. I probably still might, it's just been a while.
    Thats the reason I go
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’ll outshoot you and out call you Dwayne
    Huh ? What you been smoking ? 😂
    80-20 Genaration

I had no clue there was a place in Pinewood that has a Spring Clays course.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    I had no clue there was a place in Pinewood that has a Spring Clays course.

There isn't. I went last year and the sporting course was setup at Featherhorn. Rick Hemmingway brought in the trap machines and setup a course on the property.

They do have a permanent 5 Stand on the property with an impressive number of trap machines. I'm thinking they had something like 12 trap machines setup.

So it's a temporary throw together type course? That's disappointing I guess.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Correct. Rick did a good job of setting up a nice course but it all comes down after the event. It's a shame someone hasn't opened up a course somewhere in that area. There really aren't any gun clubs between Columbia and the coast.

A gun club in Summerton with make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    It's a shame someone hasn't opened up a course somewhere in that area. There really aren't any gun clubs between Columbia and the coast.
    Jump on it. It would be nice to see Summerton revitalize and who knows shooting courses better than you?

The only way to make it is to already own the property. You would need about 100 acres to do it properly. Plus you would need about 35 trap machines which would run you about $100k. Then shooting stands, a club house, golf cart rental, brush clearing, insurance. It gets expensive fast. At $35 - $40 a round, you would need a lot of traffic coming in. It takes time to build a customer base.

Trust me, I have seriously considered it on another piece of property my GF family owns.

Summerton is the Duck hunting capital of South Carolina because I say it is. It could also be the capital of other things that are not as cool as Duck Hunting.