Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horse Problem!

Default Horse Problem!

I'm a member of a hunt club in Georgetown off of Gapway Rd and we have a problem with 2 horses that have decided to take up residency on our 1080 acre lease. We have contacted DNR, a horse rescue in Moncks Corner, and our land manager. No body seems to know where they came from. They showed up on our property in April. The horse rescue wants us to build a corral and feed them so they can come and get them. Most of us live over an hour away and this is not an option. DNR is taking a hands off approach. The horses are to the point now that if they see a vehicle that they take off. If anybody wants them let me know or have any ideas how to handle them. Someone has tried to sweet feed them and because everything is greened up they aren't interested in it.

SSS
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Just leave them. They’re animals, they can figure out how to survive on their own, or maybe they can’t and problem solved.
    Last edited by wskinner; 07-12-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Which club? We’re off Gapway as well. Got pigs all over, might as well have horses.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'm just trying to appeal to anyone who wants "free horses" and i don't want to feed "wild" horses at my stands when the green stuff goes away as corn gets expensive. Kinda useless like feeding bears. Trying to leave SSS as a last option.

Have you tried visiting the local tack shop or feed store to ask if anybody knows about them? Horse people can be clichey and may advertise their lost pets in places you never look. Not everybody uses craigslist.

Only thing crazier than a cat woman is a horse woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

They aren’t lost. The former owner either got smart or got broke and tried to sell them then give them away to no avail so he/she turned them loose to be your problem.

It’s more common out west but not unheard of here in the SE. You won’t get any help from anyone. And nobody wants a horse which is why you have two horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    They aren’t lost. The former owner either got smart or got broke and tried to sell them then give them away to no avail so he/she turned them loose to be your problem.

It’s more common out west but not unheard of here in the SE. You won’t get any help from anyone. And nobody wants a horse which is why you have two horses.
    An honest answer. And I hope the op has access to a backhoe.....

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

Knowing some of the folks that live out that way, I’d put money on this being the case.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

The last two posts are spot on. And pro tip on the back hoe. Dig the hole quick and deep. I was on a fellows land once and saw a mound of dirt that stuck out. He explained he had to bury one of his horses. But by time he put the horse in the hole rigormortis had set in and the legs were sticking straight up in the air. Couldn't exactly pull it back out of the hole so he piled up the dirt mound.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Only thing crazier than a cat woman is a horse woman.
    Indeed.

Folks out west drive them to BLM and national forest lands and go all Born Free with those nasty things. And then act like they’ve done something admirable. Somewhere there’s some horse enthusiast sitting around thinking what a great thing they’ve done in “saving” these horses you have.

Bring back US horse slaughter facilities so those dumb hay burners have some economic value and this junk will stop.

Can't imagine hitting a horse on the highway at night in my truck. Much less in a car.

Have a lottery draw in your club for a zebra hunt, couple cans of black and white spray paint before the photo shoot and your set.

this could turn into a money maker to offset the rising cost of leases

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Can't imagine hitting a horse on the highway at night in my truck. Much less in a car.
    Dads buddy was comin back from ATL about 6 months ago and 4 had been hit on 85. All cars were completely shit wacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

There are some good horse owners, then there are some horrible horse owners.. the bad ones are on par with pitbull owners. The worst ones masquerade as if they have money.

We were cooking a hog at a buddies house one night and a fellah in a last 80s model f150 hammered on of the neighbors horses.. He went down the rd turned around and came back... said fellah had been at the bar a little late and swore he had hit a mail box.... I don't see how he drove that truck back up that hill...

Keep it between you and said horses.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan