Thread: Meatballs..

Default Meatballs..

I need a meatball recipe.

Try to throw in something halfway constructive in between all the jokes that are sure to come.

Let's have it...

What kind of meatballs?
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

What type of meat are you going to use?
    “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!” - Dr. Seuss

Here ya go,eggin's opttional,just add some ketchup!
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 pound ground venison
    1/4 pound ground pork
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    Creole seasoning
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup flour
    1 quart veal or chicken stock
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons cold butter
    2 pounds fresh pasta ribbons
    1/2 cup chopped green onions

In a large saute pan set over medium high heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on paper towels. Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes. In the bowl of a food processor, process the onions and garlic into a smooth paste, then set aside to cool.
    In a large mixing bowl combine the venison and veal. With an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, blend the meats together on low speed. (Alternately, blend together the ingredients with a large wooden spoon.) Slowly add the bacon and onion mixture, and once incorporated, gradually add the buttermilk, breadcrumbs and cheese in stages. Add the salt, pepper, rosemary and sage, and blend thoroughly.
    Form the meat into 20 even sized balls. Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add the meatballs to the pot in batches and sear on all sides. Remove the meatballs and add the red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour the pan juices into a cup and reserve. Add the remaining vegetable oil and flour to the pan and cook over medium heat to make a light brown roux, stirring constantly, about 5 -- 10 minutes. Add the veal stock to the pan and stir until the roux is completely dissolved. Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the sauce reduce for 15 minutes, then stir in the Dijon mustard and cream. Return the meatballs and reserved pan juices to the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta ribbons to the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8 -- 10 minutes. Drain the pasta, toss lightly with olive oil and keep warm.
    Swirl the cold butter into the sauce and adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve the noodles topped by meatballs and sauce, garnishing each serving with chopped green onions and grated Parmesan cheese.

Your ingredients listed ground pork but you used veal in the description.

Which one is the typo?

Sounds very good by the way.

A guy I used to know in school made 'em some way and just dropped them into his sauce raw and cooked them that way all day. They were unreal.

Any in that neighborhood?

Pork

Okay so here is what I did. I didn't have time to hit the grocery so I improvised with what I had in stock at the house.

I took in what you told me up there and bastard-ized it like I do most any other recipe.

I got my sauce going and had it simmering slightly. While that was going I mixed up the balls.

1lb of deer burger, one egg, drizzled some olive earl over it, ground oregano till it looked right, ground basil till it looked right, cracked black pepper, a dash or two of red pepper and just a grunt of sugar.

Didn't have any bread crumbs so I used plain dry oatmeal instead. it worked well.

I sauteed my onions and garlic like you said. After they were done/clear/soft I added them to my bowl and mixed it all up with my old knuckle buster tater masher seeing as how I don't have a paddle mixer.

After everything was good and mixed I started rolling the meat (Bwahaha) into 1 inch +/- sized balls and dropped them raw into my sauce, 10 at a time for about 10 minutes. Pulled them out and in went the next 10 or so for same time. After all had had a good sauce bath, they all went back in for about another 1/2 hour or so.

Served 'em over a bed of al dente sketti noodles and had at it.

I was very pleased with how they turned out. The flavor was great and I very much appreciate the tips and advice above.

Glad I coud help. Try that whole recipe if'n you get a chance, its pretty solid. I hate makin meatballs, but they are tasty little boogers.

One thing I found out about cooking them in the sauce is you want to have your sauce a little on the thin side because the balls soak up some juice. Made it real thick in the end.

Could have just been due to the extra cooking time and just naturally reducing down.

Either way, start out a little on the thin side.

I'll give it a hurl Foy when I get a chance to hit the grocery.

Tanks again.

Starches in the bread crumbs or in your case oatmeal is what causes your sauce to thicken.

off subject, foie- Johnson & Whales?

Had a summer room mate that graduated as pastry chef from there bout 2 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

Went to CCI for a little while, but didn't finish. Been workin in restaurants since high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Foie Gras View Post
    Went to CCI for a little while, but didn't finish. Been workin in restaurants since high school.
    Got ya. nice going.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

From the Bowman cookbook:
    3 lbs of ground meat (we use dead deer)
    1 pkg of onion soup mix
    3 beaten eggs.

Mix together well.
    Roll into balls the size of the above cat knuts.

The recipe says brown in skillet, we always do in mass quantity (several times the above ingerdients) and we broil instead of brwoning in skillet. You will need to turn the balls once when they are brown on one side. This is a lot easier to clean up and quicker. We freeze balls in bags.

For Swedish meat balls:

Sauce:
    1 jar of chili sauce
    1 jar of water
    2 tbsp of lemon juice
    1/2 pt of grape jelly (not KY Glenn)

Heat until jelly melts. Mix with balls from above over heat until warm.
    Last edited by rp; 01-31-2009 at 11:22 AM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 pound ground venison
    1/4 pound ground pork
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    Creole seasoning
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 cup dry red wine
    1/4 cup flour
    1 quart veal or chicken stock
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    4 tablespoons cold butter
    2 pounds fresh pasta ribbons
    1/2 cup chopped green onions

In a large saute pan set over medium high heat, render the bacon until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on paper towels. Add the onions to the pan and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes. In the bowl of a food processor, process the onions and garlic into a smooth paste, then set aside to cool.
    In a large mixing bowl combine the venison and veal. With an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, blend the meats together on low speed. (Alternately, blend together the ingredients with a large wooden spoon.) Slowly add the bacon and onion mixture, and once incorporated, gradually add the buttermilk, breadcrumbs and cheese in stages. Add the salt, pepper, rosemary and sage, and blend thoroughly.
    Form the meat into 20 even sized balls. Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat and heat 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Add the meatballs to the pot in batches and sear on all sides. Remove the meatballs and add the red wine to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Pour the pan juices into a cup and reserve. Add the remaining vegetable oil and flour to the pan and cook over medium heat to make a light brown roux, stirring constantly, about 5 -- 10 minutes. Add the veal stock to the pan and stir until the roux is completely dissolved. Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let the sauce reduce for 15 minutes, then stir in the Dijon mustard and cream. Return the meatballs and reserved pan juices to the pot and cook for 20 minutes.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Add the pasta ribbons to the boiling water and cook until al dente, about 8 -- 10 minutes. Drain the pasta, toss lightly with olive oil and keep warm.
    Swirl the cold butter into the sauce and adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve the noodles topped by meatballs and sauce, garnishing each serving with chopped green onions and grated Parmesan cheese.

I made this last night.

Holy Sheet it was good.

I don't think I've ever used so many dishes, but it was worth it.

Good Recipe Foie!

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm kinda spoiled by a professional kitchen....all the pots, pans, bowls, and utensils I ever need and someone to wash them for me.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm kinda spoiled by a professional kitchen....all the pots, pans, bowls, and utensils I ever need and someone to wash them for me.
    That's the key!

Just printed the recipe out Foie and will definitely give it a try. Thanks!! I'll be sure to post pics when I do.
    Reality is only an illusion
    that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by badfaulkner View Post

......Some of you guys are fastidious and choosy to the point of near faggotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    That's the key!
    Sho' ya right.