Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 18 years ago

Default 18 years ago

I still remember it pretty clearly.

I remember.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I was in 2nd grade. I remember not doing a thing that day at school, my HR teacher went to NYC on the reg.. I remember her crying at her desk as we watched movies. I remember my mom telling me after school what happened but I didnt understand 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

i miss the nationalism(?) that came shortly after that tragic day. It made me proud to be an American.

These days, not so much....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Definitely didn’t have a clear understanding of it that day but I can vividly remember where I was.
    4th grade, Mrs. Mcutcheon’s English class. Another teacher came in and told her and she started crying and left the room to talk with other teachers. We knew it was something bad but didn’t know exactly what. Charlie, the boy sitting behind me thought it was a gas leak at the school. They came back in and explained to us what had happened and I remember we weren’t allowed outside for recess that day.
    That evening I remember riding with my dad to the gas station to fill up all our vehicles and how long the lines were at the pump and my grandparents coming to the house to talk about it.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I will never forget that day. And, like 2th, the response was awesome, but just 18 short years later, we're right back divided, it seems.

Thomas Jefferson

My how that day changed this country.

I remember clearly. Had a breakfast meeting in downtown Charleston that morning. Driving over the Cooper River Bridge around 8:45 am when the first plane hit, they came on the radio and shared. By 9 am or so, second one hit and then our lives changed forever. I mean think about how we lived on Sept 10, compared to every day since.

Never Forget.

I still remember all of the “United We Stand” bumper stickers. Our country definitely rallied together during those times.

11th grade US History. Watched the 2nd plane hit. Black Blaze on here was the first to tell me that morning that he thought a US Embassy had been bombed and little did we know it was New York. God bless all of those first responders and folks involved.

I was laying in my bed in Rehoboth Beach and my wife came in the bedroom and said,
    "you need to wake up and see this", referring to the breaking news.
    I had just gotten in late the night before from working in the Trade Towers on 9/10.
    I was inside one of the towers all day, the day before doing a presentation.
    I just sat there in shock for about an hour

I was walking into the chemistry building when everything ground to a halt. We just stood in front of the TV and watched.

ecu1084 - thats crazy!!
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I was laying in my bed in Rehoboth Beach and my wife came in the bedroom and said,
    "you need to wake up and see this", referring to the breaking news.
    I had just gotten in late the night before from working in the Trade Towers on 9/10.
    I was inside one of the towers all day, the day before doing a presentation.
    I just sat there in shock for about an hour
    Dang

Quote Originally Posted by justhuntin View Post
    Dang
    Yep, back then I was the Regional Director of Sales for Gateway Computers for the east coast and
    one of my reps had a large deal working with a financial company in NYC and it was several million dollars
    so I went with him to help with his presentation/bid.

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney, F-16 pilot, D.C. Air National Guard: This sounds counterintuitive, but when the magnitude of the situation hit me, I really lost all emotion. It was really much more focused on, What are the things I need to do to enable us to protect our capital? What are the things I need to do to facilitate us getting airborne?

Brigadier General David Wherley, commander, D.C. Air National Guard, Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland: My translation of the rules to Sass was, “You have weapons-free flight-lead control.” I said, “Do you understand what I’m asking you to do?” [Sasseville and Penney] both said yes. I told them to be careful.

Lt. Col. Marc Sasseville, F-16 pilot, U.S. Air Force: As we’re going out to the jets, Lucky and I had a quick conversation about what it is that we were going to do and how we were basically going to do the unthinkable if we had to.

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney: We would be ramming the aircraft. We didn’t have [missiles] on board to shoot the airplane down. As we were putting on our flight gear in the life support shop, Sass looked at me and said, “I’ll ram the cockpit.” I made the decision I would take the tail off the aircraft.

Lt. Col. Marc Sasseville: We didn’t have a whole lot of options.

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney: I had never been trained to scramble [mobilize] the aircraft. It would typically take about 20 minutes to start the jets, get the avionics systems going, go through all the preflight checks to make sure the systems were operating properly, program the computers in the aircraft. That’s not even including the time to look at the forms, do the walk-around of the airplane, and whatnot. We usually planned about half-an-hour to 40 minutes from the time you walked out the door to the time that you actually took off.

Col. George Degnon, vice commander, 113th Wing, Andrews Air Force Base: We did everything humanly possible to get the aircraft in the air.

It made me nauseous ... I couldn't believe they had gotten through and they managed to pull off this attack."-Marc Sasseville

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney: I just got my radios up, and I was yelling at my crew chief, “Pull the chocks!” He pulled the chocks and I push my throttle. The crew chief was still running under the tail so that my gear would come up—there are safety pins that are all in the airplane—and so they were pulling all those safety pins as I was taxiing to go do an immediate take-off. I didn’t even have an inertia navigation unit. I didn’t have any of that set up. It was lucky it was a clear, blue day because we didn’t have all the avionics. They were not yet awake when we took off.

Lt. Col. Marc Sasseville: I was thinking, Wow, we’re in a little trouble here.

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney: Sass and I fully expected to intercept Flight 93 and take it down.

Lt. Col. Marc Sasseville: I was going into this moral or ethical justification of the needs of the many versus the needs of the few.

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney: I genuinely believed that was going to be the last time I took off. If we did it right, this would be it.

"i genuinely believed this was going to be the last time I took off."-Heather Penney
    Major General Larry Arnold, commander of the 1st Air Force, the Continental United States North American Aerospace Defense Command, Tyndall Air Force Base, Florida: Bob Marr quotes me as saying that I told him that we would “take lives in the air to save lives on the ground.”

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney, F-16 pilot, D.C. Air National Guard: Seeing the Pentagon was surreal. It was totally surreal to see this billowing black smoke. We didn’t get high. We were at about 3,000 feet. We never got above 3,000 feet, at least on that first sweep out.

Lt. Col. Marc Sasseville: There was all this smoke in my cockpit. It made me nauseous to be honest with you—not from an Ugh, this stinks, it was more from an Oh my God, we’ve been hit on our own soil and we’ve been hit big. I couldn’t believe they had gotten through and they managed to pull off this attack.

Lt. Heather “Lucky” Penney: The real heroes are the passengers on Flight 93 who were willing to sacrifice themselves.

Lt. Col. Marc Sasseville: They made the decision we didn’t have to make.
    https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...excerpt-228001

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    ^^ BADASS ^^

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

I remember like it was yesterday when the wife came running out of the house asking me why they would shut down all the airports. It was weird that night looking up in the sky with no planes. God Bless
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I remember being in somewhat confusion until I swung by a jobsite and saw the second plane hit. It wasn't long after a buddy from my guard unit called and put us on notice. There was a subdivision going up near Fort Jackson that we needed to do a little more work on, but I got word the guy running the project told every one to go home not knowing what was going to happen next. Ended up making the day a little shorter than normal and went home to the lake, the wife and I just got married. We stayed up half the night watching everything unfold.

I was in a Business Law class at The Citadel when I first heard the news.