Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For you Vets and dog trainers

A dog won't resent you for being alpha male, in fact they'll love you for it. And every so often they will test you to see if it's their turn to take over. It's just normal dog pack rule etiquette. wcrites307 described the correct procedure to assert your authority. Roll them over and hold them down by the neck until they look away. Whatever you do, don't start and then let them win the battle. If you get bit, bite back.

Quote Originally Posted by wcrites307 View Post
    if its just puppy biting "playing" Ignore it, it will stop when his adult teeth come in . If he is being aggressive and biting. Snatch his ass up with both hands by the neck, put him on his back and scream and act like a maniac while you hold his ass down. If performed correctly, he should piss himself. After he quits squirming, let him up and give him some good pets and forget that shit ever happened. It wont. .. All my dogs have tried me at least once. I have 7 right now.
    Yep

If you or any of your family members in the house refer to it as a "doggo" or "puppers", you've already lost the battle and the war.

I still will hold my dog down by the neck until he gives. I do it every so often when I can tell he is starting to slip and needs a little refresher that I’m still the alpha and can put him down with ease.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    I still will hold my dog down by the neck until he gives. I do it every so often when I can tell he is starting to slip and needs a little refresher that I’m still the alpha and can put him down with ease.
    This is what I have always done as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBallin is offline prognosticator of prognosticators

I have got lucky fixing a couple of nippy dogs by holding their mouth shut and biting their nose every time they bit. Usually don't take many times. As instructed above or a similar variation to determine dominance. If there is children repeat with children standing over dog as well. Don't give it long commands it doesn't understand like "don't do that, bring my trailer hitch back over here little girl". They don't under stand that kind of stuff. Keep your commands short and once you are sure your dog understands, never use it unless you are at that moment ready to reinforce bad behavior.
    You can grow up to be just like me....

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    My dog aggressively nipped at me once....just once. Hasn’t done it since after correcting him.

I have a spaniel that will grab what he shouldn’t around the house as well. Only seems to do it when he wants to be an ass and get attention regardless of punishment.
    Think he just want to play sometimes

I have a spaniel that will grab what he shouldn’t around the house as well. Only seems to do it when he wants to be an ass and get attention regardless of punishment.[/QUOTE] Got that right
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Decipher 101; Shoulda got a Lab.
    Had two. One chocolate that decided to challenge a car, Gues who won?
    Bluetick

2th has a pet Griffin??? How fucking awesome is that? Don't tell Sheldon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    2th has a pet Griffin??? How fucking awesome is that? Don't tell Sheldon.
    Where you been? That's old news that has already been made fun of.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'd suggest a full work up. CBC, Chem 17, lytes, T3/T4/FT4/TSH, ACTH Stim, B12 absorption test, Fecal and full body x-rays.

Should be able to hook you up for $5-600
    Solid advice right here, you wanna rule out health problems before you choke him out.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Solid advice right here, you wanna rule out health problems before you choke him out.......
    Don't thinks that's the problem. He has a good vet
    Bluetick

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick1955 View Post
    Don't thinks that's the problem. He has a good vet
    I think you missed the sarcasm font.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by bluetick1955 View Post
    Had two. One chocolate that decided to challenge a car, Gues who won?
    Oh that explains it. Let me re-phrase. Shoulda got a black lab.

Quote Originally Posted by beanhunter View Post
    Put a collar on him and fry him when he nips. Saves your hand a beating.
    You can't teach a dog anything with a collar; just reinforce known behavior. Many a dog has been ruined using an e-collar on a dog that has not been collar conditioned.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Exactly what Crites said. Just be ready to take it to the next level. If he biting and resisting, you have to escalate as well. If done properly, the grip under the neck will not allow him to bite you. Especially when you’re holding his ass off the ground.

I’ve done this technique more than I care to count. Only problem is when you’re doing it to a 75lb muscle fueled lab. I’ve got up winded a bunch of times, but the bastards (and bitches) didn’t win.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    You can't teach a dog anything with a collar; just reinforce known behavior. Many a dog has been ruined using an e-collar on a dog that has not been collar conditioned.
    Sarcasm font wasn't used but should have been assumed. My bad. It just goes back to all the threads of how an ecollar is so debatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

I'm usually wearing a ball cap.
    When my dogs past and present needed corrections I'd beat their ass with the ball cap.
    They don't like it to the point that if I raise my hand towards my head even if I'm not wearing a cap they'd usually stop the offending behavior.
    I haven't "ball capped " my current lab in years but she still remembers the puppy days and will snap to if she thinks she's about to get smacked.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 07-11-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Set boundaries and have everyone in the house on board with them and enforce then as such. Exercise the dog to drain that energy. If you don't create a constructive outlet they will find a destructive one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Default For you Vets and dog trainers

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'd suggest a full work up. CBC, Chem 17, lytes, T3/T4/FT4/TSH, ACTH Stim, B12 absorption test, Fecal and full body x-rays.

Should be able to hook you up for $5-600
    I could agree. But depends on where you are sending it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 07-11-2018 at 09:42 PM.