Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Entry level O/U question

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I looked at a newer one yesterday and liked the feel of it. But was unsure about them or there reputation.
    I think they have a good reputation. Like I said, mine has operated flawlessly for over 20 years.

I went to school with the grandson of the Turkish prime minister and he’s the one who turned me on to Huglu.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I think they have a good reputation. Like I said, mine has operated flawlessly for over 20 years.

I went to school with the grandson of the Turkish prime minister and he’s the one who turned me on to Huglu.
    Does the one you own have extractors or ejectors?

I have an older red label in 20. I love that gun. They are getting proud of them again on GunBroker/armslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I've regretted buying a few cheap guns but I've never regretted or missed the money after buying a nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    Does the one you own have extractors or ejectors?
    Ejectors

Are we really having a serious discussion on Turkish shotguns? Lock it the fuck up

I got a Stoeger condor in 20ga. I used it upland hunting. Probably close to 1k shells through it and never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I've regretted buying a few cheap guns but I've never regretted or missed the money after buying a nice one.
    I was trying to think how to say that...you've said it perfectly.

Money "spent" on a good gun is money in the bank...money spent on a cheap gun is gone forever.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I was fortunate enough to be able to lock down my last auto hopefully with a members help on here yesterday. When I started the look, I knew I'd spend more for what I really needed it for. I have zero regrets

If you buy the yildiz at academy and it f’s up and they can’t fix it they’ll replace it

Whatever you get, make sure it's chambered for a minimum of 3" shells. My Citori is chambered for 3.5" and both the 12 ga. and 20 ga. barrels for my backup Condor are chambered for 3".
    “Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.” Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I was fortunate enough to be able to lock down my last auto hopefully with a members help on here yesterday. When I started the look, I knew I'd spend more for what I really needed it for. I have zero regrets
    What did you get?

I recently bought a stevens 555 compact 20ga for turkey hunting. It takes the mobil chokes and is shorter than anything else I could find. I've been pleased so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    What did you get?
    Teknys in a 12.

I do kinda want a UGB, probably because I'm just a smidge eccentric

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Teknys in a 12.

I do kinda want a UGB, probably because I'm just a smidge eccentric
    Sweet- hope it works out great for you.

thanks

it's a 391 like the rest of my favorite autos.. just prettier. I kinda always held off on buying one, then they got boogery to find the right one.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Kinda depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you ever plan on a significant volume of shooting such as clays, then that puts you in a different class of shotgun. Cheap O/Us may work well for a while and you may be satisfied with it but in the long run you will probably wish that you had spent your money on something more durable like a used Beretta 686. They are very durable. The Citori’s are a bit clunky but fit me better than the 686’s for some reason, but either will be serviceable for a long time.

A younger friend wanted an O/U for the cool factor. He bought a lightweight Yildiz that kicked the crap out of him, especially pounding his cheek. Now he has a bad flinch and picks his head up. His shooting went to pot. Your situation may be very different, but this is something to be aware of. It is your money.....and buying another gun is a good thing��, but there are definite negatives to cheap and lightweight O/Us.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Kinda depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you ever plan on a significant volume of shooting such as clays, then that puts you in a different class of shotgun. Cheap O/Us may work well for a while and you may be satisfied with it but in the long run you will probably wish that you had spent your money on something more durable like a used Beretta 686. They are very durable. The Citori’s are a bit clunky but fit me better than the 686’s for some reason, but either will be serviceable for a long time.

A younger friend wanted an O/U for the cool factor. He bought a lightweight Yildiz that kicked the crap out of him, especially pounding his cheek. Now he has a bad flinch and picks his head up. His shooting went to pot. Your situation may be very different, but this is something to be aware of. It is your money.....and buying another gun is a good thing��, but there are definite negatives to cheap and lightweight O/Us.
    I really just want one for shooting doves and a few wood ducks just to change the experience some. I mostly shoot an A391 for ducks and a Montefeltro 20 for doves and other critters. I don’t expect to really shoot it much that’s why I’m hesitant to spend a lot but i guess if I buy a nicer one I can look at it as an investment haha.

I didn't think I'd shoot my o/u as much as I do, now more often than not it's my go to.

Seen used Citoris with interchangeable chokes go for $1200 on gunbroker recently. I have a Miroku which is essentially a Citori and picked it up for ~$700 some years ago. Killed doves and wood ducks galore with it. It's been a fun gun to shoot.

Of course I also use it when I shoot skeet, at least until I splurge on a quality gun with at least 32" barrels.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-09-2021 at 08:23 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaslayer View Post
    I recently bought a stevens 555 compact 20ga for turkey hunting. It takes the mobil chokes and is shorter than anything else I could find. I've been pleased so far.
    You don't have that extra length for the action. Looking at one in .410 myself.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft