View Poll Results: Do you want to require a boater safety course for boaters born after 2007?

Voters
180. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

61 33.89%
  • No

107 59.44%
  • Yes because I am grandfathered

12 6.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boater safety poll

This legislation isn't coming from DNR. This is coming as a reaction to some well publicized boat accidents. Maybe you have heard of some? Did y'all see the other bill that mandates you must carry $50,000 worth of liability insurance for any boat motor of 70 HP or greater? You SHOULD if you have any sense or assets to protect, but seeing it coming from Hutto is so damned laughable...

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    50% of the average working person's hunting opportunity gone via a ban on WMA Sunday hunting - "Just join a club", "animals need a day of rest", "It's how we've always done it", "Quit complaining"

DNR wants you to take a (stupid, I agree) course before you can operate a boat - "DNR OVERREACH!!!!! CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND TELL THEM NOT JUST NO BUT HELL NO!!!!!"

I love this forum. And I do agree this proposed course is stupid and just another way for DNR to harass boaters and generate easy revenue via tickets.
    Yeah. Welcome to the hypocrisy that is public land vs public water.

The yes votes are bad enough.

But the yes because I’m grandfathered in votes are just flat out sorry.

I’m guessing 3 pages in this is not how DT expected it to go. Wonder if he still tries to help get the bill through, knowing how some of his constituents feel now.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-01-2023 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    50% of the average working person's hunting opportunity gone via a ban on WMA Sunday hunting - "Just join a club", "animals need a day of rest", "It's how we've always done it", "Quit complaining"

DNR wants you to take a (stupid, I agree) course before you can operate a boat - "DNR OVERREACH!!!!! CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVE AND TELL THEM NOT JUST NO BUT HELL NO!!!!!"

I love this forum. And I do agree this proposed course is stupid and just another way for DNR to harass boaters and generate easy revenue via tickets.
    Don’t forget the fees for the class and the license.

It won’t stop the folks who go to the boat show and buy a boat then pick it up Saturday and go to the lake on the way home. They will have the class. If they can get it backed down the ramp they can launch and then can’t figure out how to get it back on the trailer. We have all watch in amusement but get pissed how long it take to get off the ramp. Happens every Saturday in the warm weather
    Last edited by centurian; 05-01-2023 at 06:50 PM.

I just got a message from my Representative....he plans to vote no now on the bill and will look at the amendment. I'm fairly certain he was planning on voting yes earlier, contact with reasonable concerns can make a difference.
    Last edited by tsigmon; 05-01-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tsigmon View Post
    I just got a message from my Representative....he plans to vote no now on the bill and will look at the amendment. I'm fairly certain he was planning on voting yes earlier, contact with reasonable concerns can make a difference.
    Gilliam voted for my amendment last time. Will likely do it again. Thanks for reaching out to him.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I’m guessing 3 pages in this is not how DT expected it to go. Wonder if he still tries to help get the bill through, knowing how some of his constituents feel now.
    He has been trying to hamstring it, not pass it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Slight victory

Just hung up with DT

Bill is heading back to the senate.

Great job
    Thanks to all whom called and made the effort it paid off

We flipped 8

I can still come back and pass but with an extremely busy week the senate would have to take it up send it too a special committee strip DT’s amendment then back to the house for a vote

Pray the clock runs out on this one!!!

Great job boys
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Is it worth contacting senate members?

yes
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

The best boater safety measure would be to require pontoons to no wake and idle everywhere they go.

They have sent more people to surgeons than the NFL.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I reached out to my guy as well. I think based on his response he voted on your amendment DT. Glad we could help address it. Tk you DT again.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Duck Tape, do you have a vote break down?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The best boater safety measure would be to require pontoons to no wake and idle everywhere they go.

They have sent more people to surgeons than the NFL.

How many glitter boats run into pontoons verses glitter boats getting run into by pontoons?
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Are we supporting this bill because SC waterways are truly unsafe without it, or are we supporting it because metro area boat ramps are clogged on weekends with transplants that aren’t as boat savvy as we are?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    If anything maybe a class on parenting. That will help more than a boaters education course.
    Could not agree more. It’s not a generation of kids it’s a generation of parents that let their kids sit infront tvs instead of teaching them things.
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    How many glitter boats run into pontoons verses glitter boats getting run into by pontoons?
    The only one I know about was the pontoon totaling the Ranger bass boat last year in Tawcaw. The pontoon was at fault.

Pontoons put a set of 4 waves off the front and 4 more off the motor.

If they make a mandatory test for boating,...80% of pontoon owners would fail.

Sorry for not posting. It was a long day.

First, thanks for getting involved.

We, together, made a difference today. We convinced enough house members to vote for my amendment that the bill sponsors went along with it.

It could not have happened without your help. This site has the power to effect our issues. Period. You proved it and I am honored to have your help.

Our amendment passed and allowed people fishing or hunting with a valid license to be exempted from asking permission from government to boat on our public waters to exercise our constitutional right to hunt and fish.

They conceded the vote because we earned it. The final vote on our amendment was done by voice. You cannot see how each member voted. We obviously won.

But, the bill also passed. We amended the bill and sent it back to the senate. They can agree for disagree with the amended version. If they agree it goes to the governor.
    If they disagree both bodies will form a conference committee comprised of 3 senators and 3 house members.

If the committee can come to an agreement, the compromise will be sent to both the senate and house for a majority vote. If we can agree it is sent to the governor.

In the conference committee they can agree to remove my amendment. I fully expect them to. At that point I will try to kill the bill. I will need your help.

Thank you for your support. Together we can make a difference.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Sorry for not posting. It was a long day.

First, thanks for getting involved.

We, together, made a difference today. We convinced enough house members to vote for my amendment that the bill sponsors went along with it.

It could not have happened without your help. This site has the power to effect our issues. Period. You proved it and I am honored to have your help.

Our amendment passed and allowed people fishing or hunting with a valid license to be exempted from asking permission from government to boat on our public waters to exercise our constitutional right to hunt and fish.

They conceded the vote because we earned it. The final vote on our amendment was done by voice. You cannot see how each member voted. We obviously won.

But, the bill also passed. We amended the bill and sent it back to the senate. They can agree for disagree with the amended version. If they agree it goes to the governor.
    If they disagree both bodies will form a conference committee comprised of 3 senators and 3 house members.

If the committee can come to an agreement, the compromise will be sent to both the senate and house for a majority vote. If we can agree it is sent to the governor.

In the conference committee they can agree to remove my amendment. I fully expect them to. At that point I will try to kill the bill. I will need your help.

Thank you for your support. Together we can make a difference.
    Thank you. Just tell us who to contact next.