Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 AR platforms

Default .308 AR platforms

What yall got for recommendations on a semi auto/AR .308? Thinking I would like to stay at/under $1500 for the rifle. Already have an Eotech red dot but may switch to something else a little more accurate for low light, semi rushed shots out to 150yds or so.

Currently have a CIA AK that never gets used and thinking about selling AK and my .223 AR to purchase a .308. Primary use will be hunting (some at night) varmints, secondary personal defense.

There are plenty of “best .308 platform” articles that I have looked through, but everyone has their own opinions. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Building or buying complete?

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    Building or buying complete?
    Never built but not opposed to it

If I was doing one, I'd consider one of the LaRue kits. A lot of options on caliber and barrel length. You can buy one of their stripped lowers if you buy the kit. If I wasn't equipped to assemble the upper, I'd spring the $199 to have them put the upper together.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

If you want a .308 Remington cartridge, you are looking at an AR10. They are heavy as hell. I have one that sits in the safe most of the time. If you are only going to be shooting 150 yards with a dot scope, stay with a much lighter AR15 and go with a 300 blk or the 300 hammer.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If you want a .308 Remington cartridge, you are looking at an AR10. They are heavy as hell. I have one that sits in the safe most of the time. If you are only going to be shooting 150 yards with a dot scope, stay with a much lighter AR15 and go with a 300 blk or the 300 hammer.
    Or a 6.8 SPC II or 6.5G for flatter shooting/greater lethality at distance.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I think ya meant 308 Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    I have been looking/reading about AR-10 platforms. I realize that it will be heavier than my AR-15 but I am ok w that. Leaning toward .308 over .300 because I already have a bolt .308 and would like to keep it simple ammo wise.

I bought a cheap Palmetto Armory "brand" last year. Actually have it in the vise now mounting scope, lights and cleaned it real good. I shot it last year once just with iron sights. So I have no true input other than it appears to be well made for cost. I am hoping it works out well as a pig/coyote slaying gun that I don't mind if it gets a few scratches. Will post again once I take it to range to shoot.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Or a 6.8 SPC II or 6.5G for flatter shooting/greater lethality at distance.
    I think ya meant 308 Winchester
    Yep and Yep.

I built a 6.5 Grendel this year and I LOVE it. The Grendel has the oomph I was missing from bolt rifles. If I did it over, I might go with 6.8 SPC though just due to ammo availability. I was in love with the 300 BLK but it's been resting in the safe with the AR10 most of the year. I'd still use the 300blk for stalking or a pig slaughter because it has a quick pointing dot scope.

I've shot six deer this year with the Grendel and none have made it far, most dropped in their tracks even though I was taking lung shots hoping for a blood trail to train the new dog with. Longest shot so far with it has been about 225 yards and that left a horror movie blood trail.

I did mean .308 Winchester. I can't ever remember which company named which cartridge.

Shoulder an AR10 side by side with an AR15 and you'll feel the difference. AR10's are heavy.

I'm partial to Armalite. I've got an AR-10 that I've shot in 3 gun, Designated Marksman matches and hunted with it. Other than a bad batch of Hornady Steel Match ammo it been damn near flawless. They are heavy, no way around it., but I enjoy shooting the 308.

I “built” a .308 a while back using a stripped PSA upper and lower. Think I bought some of the lower small parts from PSA to make sure they fit. Can’t remember everything else that I put on it as it was done over time trying to buy quality parts when they went on sale. Had to do a lot of research to make sure what I was buying actually fit and functioned correctly. Pretty happy with how it turned out. No failures to fire or eject, and it shoots more accurately than I can. It really just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend.

PM sent
    Genesis 9;2

Armalite does make a good rifle. My personal AR-10ish platform is a Smith & Wesson M&P-10. Not really a standardized platform - kind of bastard child and nobody makes replacement barrels for it. But, it isn't that heavy, has a lightish contour 18" barrel. I really need to mod it into what I want it to be with a free floated handguard and probably an adjustable gas block.

This rifle?

You can buy a complete upper and lower from PSA for less than that with better furniture. The Gen2 PA10 has gotten pretty good reviews as well. I want to build one at some point myself.

I paid a good bit more than that for mine. You can see from that pic why I want to redo the front end.

It's the same weight as the 18" PSA lightweight gun. Not sure whose barrel would be better, but I have heard good things about the S&W (I haven't shot mine enough to know).

Really thinking about putting my Trijicon 2.5-10 on it with a green light for pigs. With a can.

The problem with anything PSA builds is it has zero resale. Their 308 platforms have been really hit or miss. I’ve seen a couple that ran well but most were a PIA to make reliable. If you decide on one see if you can get it without their BCG. Buy a KAK with the double ejector.
    All of the S&W ARs I’ve shot have been really nice rifles. The 308 uses a DPMS barr l nut , so any hand guard that fits a DPMS will fit the S&W.
    Last edited by FLS; 01-01-2019 at 11:17 AM.

I'd like my S&W better if I could drop a replacement barrel in it if I wanted. The barrel extension is proprietary, as is the BCG. Fortunately, it takes a DPMS low profile handguard.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 01-03-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Why did I call a barrel a battery?

I agree with FLS. Not sure how things are now, but I had heard about too many problems with complete .308 PSA lowers and rifles to buy one. Buffers and buffer tubes weren’t right for a while. Not sure if that has been straightened out or not. I think I used an aero buffer tube kit. Bought a Brownells bcg when they were on big sale. Figured with their guarantee it was worth a shot. It has worked great even with cheap Monarch ammo.