Thread: Guilty Until Proven Not Guilty, Then Still Guilty

Default Guilty Until Proven Not Guilty, Then Still Guilty

First of all the guy in this story, if true is a world-class piece of sh!t. If true, he solicited underage girls for sex then did so on duty as a sheriff's deputy then arrived in uniform in his patrol car to consummate his deal. Each and every element of that story sickens me. Now for the part that bothers me equally, the story says that upon hearing the news Sherrif Leon Lett said:

“That was something that made me sick to my stomach,” Lott said, “that one of my deputies that I trust, that we put out here in the community, is one of these monsters.”

Lott immediately fired the deputy and informed South Carolina’s police licensing agency so Vandenham can’t become a police officer again.

Lott said the arrest was one the most frustrating moments of his law enforcement career and “disgusted” him.

Again, IF TRUE, this guy deserves it all and much more, but isn't there a presumption of innocence? If the sheriff is so willing to try and convict him and make sure he never works again within minutes of learning of his arrest, then how could he ever find justice? Certainly, private employers do the very same each day of firing employees because they were arrested well before any adjudication but seriously when officers of the law/court bypass innocence, should we not be disturbed? Maybe I have watched one too many Netflix specials but it would seem to me that "put on leave without pay" would have been a more logical first step. Am I missing something? MG

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...233945087.html
    Dum Spiro Spero

agree, shouldn't he be "suspended" until his day in court?
    but I am sure Lott has seen the text messages, the emails and such and the guy is a creep but....
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-14-2019 at 09:26 AM.

We have a right to a trial by jury but we don't have a right to be a police officer or to wear a badge.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    We have a right to a trial by jury but we don't have a right to be a police officer or to wear a badge.
    But if you were suspended, you would not be an officer or wear the badge until after the trial correct? The sheriff said he made a call to make sure "he could never be an officer again." Sounds definitive to me. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Lott likes the press. The truth be damned. "Let's milk this thing for all we can get."
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

He'll get his day in court. He'll just be doing it as an ordinary citizen, defending himself and not with a county attorney representing him (as a deputy). Regardless of what he gets charged with or if he even gets convicted or not, what he was doing at the time of his termination was "Not within the scope of his duties". The sheriff is the boss and he fired him. He will surely sue and it attempt to get his job back with back, of course, if he's acquitted or if the charges get dismissed.

This actually pretty damning of police agencies across the state and everywhere else as well. I've seen it happen numerous times. A cop is fired from one agency for doing something illegal only to be hired by the next county or city over. They don't give a damn what the officer did and there is no way they aren't aware of his infractions. This guy wouldn't have to be stripped of his certification if these others would use some scruples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    He'll get his day in court. He'll just be doing it as an ordinary citizen, defending himself and not with a county attorney representing him (as a deputy). Regardless of what he gets charged with or if he even gets convicted or not, what he was doing at the time of his termination was "Not within the scope of his duties". The sheriff is the boss and he fired him. He will surely sue and it attempt to get his job back with back, of course, if he's acquitted or if the charges get dismissed.
    I imagine it would be a pretty big liability to keep him employed until he gets his day in court.

Shoulda turned off his uniform camera..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    But if you were suspended, you would not be an officer or wear the badge until after the trial correct? The sheriff said he made a call to make sure "he could never be an officer again." Sounds definitive to me. MG
    I'm just saying that qualifying to be or remain a police officer is a lot lower standard that a conviction in criminal court. There are a lot of people that I don't want locked-up but I don't want them being police officers either. In other words, even if he's found not-guilty I don't want him being a police officer.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    I'm just saying that qualifying to be or remain a police officer is a lot lower standard that a conviction in criminal court. There are a lot of people that I don't want locked-up but I don't want them being police officers either. In other words, even if he's found not-guilty I don't want him being a police officer.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

that "presumed innocent" stuff is just to make people feel good.

this dude got caught red-handed. he's guilty. end of story. I dont care what the courts say.

and i agree with rh. he sure as hell shouldnt be a cop.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    that "presumed innocent" stuff is just to make people feel good.

this dude got caught red-handed. he's guilty. end of story. I dont care what the courts say.

and i agree with rh. he sure as hell shouldnt be a cop.
    I'm fine with that. The system ain't perfect but I'd rather some guilty folks get off than an innocent man be wrongly jailed.

Lott is a hard core Democrat also. I don't care for him
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Lott is a hard core Democrat also. I don't care for him
    Democrat camera hog making waves for his constituents. I don't care for him either.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill