Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audubon says...

Default Audubon says...

Ducks Are Moving North as Winters Warm

A new study confirms that some Southern waterfowl populations are dwindling as birds opt for northern locales that were previously too cold.

By Rachel Fritts
    Audubon magazine

Over the past several decades, waterfowl hunters in the South have witnessed a slow-motion disappearing act. Each year it seems fewer and fewer ducks are settling down for the winter in the wetlands of southeastern states like Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

Rick Kaminski, a Clemson University duck biologist and a longtime hunter, has seen the birds becoming scarcer firsthand. For example, annual U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service winter waterfowl surveys at the Tennessee National Wildlife Refuge counted thousands of American Black Ducks in the 1980s. “Now they’re still doing the surveys and they might see two or three hundred Black Ducks,” he says.

Kaminski wanted to gain a better understanding of why American Black Ducks and other species weren’t frequenting their usual winter haunts, and whether climate change was partly to blame for the dramatic changes he was seeing. He teamed up with National Audubon Society biologists to search for answers in decades’ worth of data from Audubon’s annual Christmas Bird Count (CBC).

The results confirmed what duck hunters have been observing for years. As the research team reports this week in the Journal of Wildlife Management, many North American ducks are indeed choosing to shorten their migrations by wintering in areas farther north where food and water might previously have been buried under snow and ice. “I was struck by the fact that most of the species are showing this trend of increasing wintering at more northern latitudes,” Kaminski says.

Launched in 1900, the CBC is the nation’s longest-running community science initiative. Every winter, birders fan out across the country to count wild birds in a methodical way. The many decades of surveys provide invaluable data that researchers use to inform conservation efforts. After Kaminski approached CBC lead analyst Tim Meehan with his research idea, the team decided to look at long-term duck data from the Mississippi and Atlantic flyways to see if it matched what duck hunters in the Southeast had been observing.

The scientists analyzed 50 years of CBC data on 16 common duck species. They looked at how duck abundance changed each year and compared the changes to average winter temperatures in the states and provinces within the study area. While not every species showed a discernible shift, the team found that at least 12 of them—including American Black Ducks, Northern Pintails, and Northern Shovelers—are growing more common during winter in the North while remaining stable or becoming less common in the South, apparently altering their winter ranges in response to warmer temperatures.

“When we related those trends to temperature, sure enough, there’s a very clear relationship,” Meehan says. “Basically, it’s confirmation of what people on the ground have been suspecting.”

Meehan points to American Black Ducks as a particularly striking example of this climate-driven trend. “People have been concerned in the mid-Atlantic and the South of the U.S. that the species is declining,” he says. “Folks hadn’t really been looking north of the border and realizing, wow, they’re actually increasing in Canada. So we’re not seeing a species decline, we’re just seeing a wholesale range shift—they’re just not coming so far down south anymore.”

Another species, the Northern Pintail, is declining in abundance overall; its numbers are increasing slightly in the northern part of its range, but these gains aren’t offsetting the dwindling numbers to the south. The Northern Shoveler, on the other hand, is becoming more abundant overall, but the uptick is concentrated in colder regions.

Along with matching hunters’ observations, the study’s findings track neatly with the future range shifts predicted by Audubon’s Survival by Degrees report, says Brooke Bateman, the group’s director of climate science. The 2019 report projects that, as temperatures warm, ducks will be able to find suitable winter habitat closer to their summer nesting ground, and their overall ranges will shift north. “It takes a lot of resources to migrate long distances, so if they’re able to save resources and not travel as far, from an evolutionary perspective that makes a lot of sense,” she says.

This new study shows these shifts are well underway. “We’re already seeing what is just the start of a larger trend,” Bateman says. “These species are going to continue to shift their range northward and disappear from parts of their range.”

That means habitat management for these species will have to change, too.

That means habitat management for these species will have to change, too. In southern areas, wildlife managers have long surveyed winter duck numbers and tracked how much food is available for the waterfowl that stay through the winter to determine how many ducks the landscape can handle—information that helps guide hunting bag limits and other management decisions. Such surveys will become increasingly important farther north in regions where ducks used to mostly pass through, according to the study.

That northward shift could also have important implications for conservation funding, since the South’s rich waterfowl-hunting culture helps support local habitat protections. Hunting licenses and fees on equipment are a major source of funding for conservation projects; sales of the federal duck stamp, a type of hunting permit, have alone raised more than $1.1 billion to set aside some 6 million acres of waterfowl habitat since 1934, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

“Conservation of wetlands has largely been driven by a passionate group of waterfowl enthusiasts,” says Michael Schummer, a waterfowl ecologist at the SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry who was not involved in the study. “A lack of ducks, geese, and swans spending time at southern latitudes may greatly change social and cultural relationships with these birds that help drive dollars from people for conservation.”

Meehan hopes that this study will prove to be a powerful message to duck hunters that warming winter temperatures are a driving force behind the decreases they’ve been witnessing. He also hopes that hunters and waterfowl-focused organizations like Ducks Unlimited will work together with Audubon and other groups to help mitigate the climate impacts on duck populations.

“What this means is we have an opportunity to slow down future changes,” Meehan says. “We can’t change what already happened in the past, but we can change what might happen in the future. At least, we have to hope that that’s the case.”

https://www.audubon.org/news/ducks-a...h-winters-warm

If true, won't some other species fill the void? Wouldn't this mean less competition for food for summer ducks?

Some smart wildlife biology grad student needs to look into bird migration and the shifting of true magnetic north.

“Folks hadn’t really been looking north of the border and realizing, wow, they’re actually increasing in Canada. So we’re not seeing a species decline, we’re just seeing a wholesale range shift—they’re just not coming so far down south anymore.”
    So this new waterfowl Mecca to the north. Where, exactly, is it?

I quit reading when is said “Clemson University Duck Biologist”

Anyone who knows anything about Clemson and their “wildlife biology” knows it’s a joke.
    Windows Down!

So what if it still said Mississippi State Waterfowl Biologist? The man isn’t stupid.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    So this new waterfowl Mecca to the north. Where, exactly, is it?
    Why can’t they acknowledge diminishing populations in addition to reduced migration south?
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    So what if it still said Mississippi State Waterfowl Biologist? The man isn’t stupid.
    I didn’t say the man was stupid, I said Clemson Wildlife is a Joke and that’s where I got a degree from!
    Windows Down!

He works at Clemson - he didn't "go" to Clemson...

Rick [Kaminski] has mentored over 40 graduate students at MSU after working four years as a research biologist for Ducks Unlimited-Canada and graduating from Michigan State University (M.S. and Ph.D., 1975 and 1979) and University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (B.S., 1972). Rick has taught courses at MSU on waterfowl ecology and management, wetlands ecology and management, wildlife techniques, wildlife management field practices, and professional communications.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Soooo climate change is the blame for less ducks in the south? Not thousands of acres of planted food sources just for ducks? Not thousands of refuge acres??? I am sure weather has a big part to play but we could throw trillion of dollars at "climate change" and not make a degree of difference...... So I hope they have a better plan than to battle "climate change". Idk maybe switch refuge grounds, change some rules on baiting and food sources, maybe change some limits in canada, better predator control...... Idk.... Just some ideas that seem a little better than battle climate change.....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    Soooo climate change is the blame for less ducks in the south? Not thousands of acres of planted food sources just for ducks? Not thousands of refuge acres??? I am sure weather has a big part to play but we could throw trillion of dollars at "climate change" and not make a degree of difference...... So I hope they have a better plan than to battle "climate change". Idk maybe switch refuge grounds, change some rules on baiting and food sources, maybe change some limits in canada, better predator control...... Idk.... Just some ideas that seem a little better than battle climate change.....
    Preach on brother.

Let’s try:

No flooding of row crops.

No feeding on refuges.

5 years. See what happens.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Preach on brother.

Let’s try:

No flooding of row crops.

No feeding on refuges.

5 years. See what happens.
    Agree, and add baiting for waterfowl is a 5 year loss of license and see how many ducks get posted on Facebook. ��
    Windows Down!

The reason for decreasing wintering populations in the southern end of the flyways is multifactorial I am sure...but if you look at the far northern ends of breeding grounds you will here consensus that the birds are remaining in the are much longer than in past. Interior alaska has historically had minimal and continues to have minimal artificial (agriculture) food sources yet the birds are persisting well into October now. This alone highly suggest warming weather at least plays a part.

I don't get the refusal of sportsman to acknowledge global warming as that is universally agreed upon by those with an understanding of science outside of a forum and conservative talk radio.... sure the debate on whether it is truly man made or not had validity but the fact is the earth is warming and evidence can be found in nearly every ecosystem.

So yes this is of no surprise that this at least plays a significant role, the degree of role remains up to debate.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Wish somebody would let the Canada geese know about this.

I will argue climate change all day. Hunting pressure and lack of food is the reason why we don’t see birds in the south. How far does the freeze line make it this way? If we were waiting on the water to freeze north of us we would never see birds.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    The reason for decreasing wintering populations in the southern end of the flyways is multifactorial I am sure...but if you look at the far northern ends of breeding grounds you will here consensus that the birds are remaining in the are much longer than in past. Interior alaska has historically had minimal and continues to have minimal artificial (agriculture) food sources yet the birds are persisting well into October now. This alone highly suggest warming weather at least plays a part.

I don't get the refusal of sportsman to acknowledge global warming as that is universally agreed upon by those with an understanding of science outside of a forum and conservative talk radio.... sure the debate on whether it is truly man made or not had validity but the fact is the earth is warming and evidence can be found in nearly every ecosystem.

So yes this is of no surprise that this at least plays a significant role, the degree of role remains up to debate.
    I'm sure as core temps have shown the earth has already been warmer than it is now. Yeah you can find data that shows the earth's temp is warming. That isn't something any I know is disputing.... You can also find data that shows and core samples that show the earth's temp has been higher than it is right now. You can also see the earth is greener than it has ever been. I don't mean green as in the liberal sense I mean actual greener..... I guess people forget plants use CO2.... If rising sea levels and global warming was such a big deal I am sure every real estate deal that took place along the coast plus any in states like FL should come with a warning.......
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    I will argue climate change all day. Hunting pressure and lack of food is the reason why we don’t see birds in the south. How far does the freeze line make it this way? If we were waiting on the water to freeze north of us we would never see birds.
    You should look into the flyways that feed into SC and look at time lines for food on the lakes planted corn rice and then look north and look at how many acres was planted to what is planted now......

You should look into the flyways that feed into SC and look at time lines for food on the lakes planted corn rice and then look north and look at how many acres was planted to what is planted now......
    Are you saying that the food is holding them up there?
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Are you saying that the food is holding them up there?
    I'm saying it's a factor.... Even if food doesn't freeze it would run out and they would still need to move but if they have an endless buffet of food why would they...

You can also see the earth is greener than it has ever been. I don't mean green as in the liberal sense I mean actual greener..... I guess people forget plants use CO2....
    Help me out here....what’s the point you’re trying to make?