Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pick my next rifle

I’ve got a 3-15x56 Vx5hd on mine, Low Talley Modern Sporting rings on a Talley 20moa base.

If you want hunting turrets, the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 or x56 is hard to beat. I got the 44 for a slightly smaller profile after a long talk with a guy at the Leupold factory that convinced me that I wasn't getting a sufficient advantage by going up in objective size. The duplex with the Fire Dot is hard to beat.

If you want a first focal plane scope with exposed turrets, get the LE discount registered and get the Leupold Mark 5 3.8-18x44 and pic a good reticle. I got the Mark 5 5-25 with the Horus Tremor 3 to go on my Tikka TACT-A1, but I don't plan on hunting with it. It's big. The 3.8-18 is a little more svelte.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    If you want hunting turrets, the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 or x56 is hard to beat. I got the 44 for a slightly smaller profile after a long talk with a guy at the Leupold factory that convinced me that I wasn't getting a sufficient advantage by going up in objective size. The duplex with the Fire Dot is hard to beat.

If you want a first focal plane scope with exposed turrets, get the LE discount registered and get the Leupold Mark 5 3.8-18x44 and pic a good reticle. I got the Mark 5 5-25 with the Horus Tremor 3 to go on my Tikka TACT-A1, but I don't plan on hunting with it. It's big. The 3.8-18 is a little more svelte.
    I'm looking right now at the NF NX8 and the Mk5. I've got the LE price for the NF, just waiting on the other. How you like the 5-25?

Just one man’s opinion. I find all of Night Forces reticles too busy for hunting use.

I have a couple and they are great, but overly cluttered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    Just one man’s opinion. I find all of Night Forces reticles too busy for hunting use.

I have a couple and they are great, but overly cluttered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There’s better option for the same or less money for low light.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    I'm looking right now at the NF NX8 and the Mk5. I've got the LE price for the NF, just waiting on the other. How you like the 5-25?
    Just put a nightforce NXS on Doubke D’s deer slayer and I like it more than the vx5hd. Bergara B-14 wilderness in 6.5.
    CF4D77C5-D31F-409D-8F73-B98BA2FE1A28.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Just put a nightforce NXS on Doubke D’s deer slayer and I like it more than the vx5hd. Bergara B-14 wilderness in 6.5.
    CF4D77C5-D31F-409D-8F73-B98BA2FE1A28.jpg
    Nice looking gun there!
    Bone....

What rings are those? New style Talley?

Tried to get some of the new Talley “modern sporting rings” for a HMR and they told me they don’t mount in the shop anymore. Putting a 56mm NXS on it. Guess I’ll end up with NF rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    I like it ... a lot. It's light for such a big scope, which is a plus for me. It is not illuminated, though. That jacks the price waaay up. I can bring it in one day and you can look at it. I'm just waiting on the mounts to come available. Going to use Spuhr mounts.
    Last edited by Swamp Rat; 07-12-2022 at 04:48 AM.

If you’re going to buy a NF scope get the ATACR. It’s worth the extra coin IMO. More forgiving eyebox than the NX8s, better scope all around.
    A 5-25 is way overkill for a 500 yds rifle IMO. If you’re looking at the Mark 5 the 3-18 would be my choice. I’ve shot a bunch of matches and killed game WTF out there and rarely shoot anything past 15-18 X. If you were shooting a 300 Norma at small targets beyond 1 K a 5-25 would make sense. That 3-18 is more than enough scope for anything you will do with a 308.
    I’ve got a VX5 HD 3-15. It’s a good set it and forget it hunting scope, but it’s not a precision optic. Some dial accurately and some don’t. That the case with most Leupolds.
    Last edited by FLS; 07-12-2022 at 07:20 AM.

This rite Cher…..

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post

Tried to get some of the new Talley “modern sporting rings” for a HMR and they told me they don’t mount in the shop anymore. Putting a 56mm NXS on it. Guess I’ll end up with NF rings.
    Those are Talley modern sporting rings. They’ve been awesome on several rifles I’ve got.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post

Those are Talley modern sporting rings. They’ve been awesome on several rifles I’ve got.

Just go get a cheap 30-06 throw a decent scope on it and have fun!
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    If you’re going to buy a NF scope get the ATACR. It’s worth the extra coin IMO. More forgiving eyebox than the NX8s, better scope all around.
    A 5-25 is way overkill for a 500 yds rifle IMO. If you’re looking at the Mark 5 the 3-18 would be my choice. I’ve shot a bunch of matches and killed game WTF out there and rarely shoot anything past 15-18 X. If you were shooting a 300 Norma at small targets beyond 1 K a 5-25 would make sense. That 3-18 is more than enough scope for anything you will do with a 308.
    I’ve got a VX5 HD 3-15. It’s a good set it and forget it hunting scope, but it’s not a precision optic. Some dial accurately and some don’t. That the case with most Leupolds.
    I’m currently shooting a mk4, and while I like it I don’t love it. I also have a NXS and ATACR on other rifles. The ATACR is noticeably clearer but a bit outside what I’m willing to spend. I reckon I’ll go with the 3-18 mk5. I do love magnification to a point, but I’m usually shooting it in the middle of the day. Probably not needed on a majority hunting rifle.

Those Rings lows by chance?

People like to shit on Vortex, but the Razor line is pretty good and this is a really good hunting scope. I’ve got two and they dial accurately, the glass is really good, and it’s one of the best “ precision hunting “ reticles I’ve used. I zero the dot at two hundred and dial for anything past 300. I’ve killed parried dogs out to 400 with it on my Creedmoor and big game a good bit further. I prefer second focal on a hunting scope.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razo...iflescope.html

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    People like to shit on Vortex, but the Razor line is pretty good and this is a really good hunting scope. I’ve got two and they dial accurately, the glass is really good, and it’s one of the best “ precision hunting “ reticles I’ve used. I zero the dot at two hundred and dial for anything past 300. I’ve killed parried dogs out to 400 with it on my Creedmoor and big game a good bit further. I prefer second focal on a hunting scope.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-razo...iflescope.html
    For a basic DMR setup for an AR (15 or 10), what's your opinion of the Viper PST?

The Gen 2 is a decent scope, but read a lot of stuff about their durability. I’ve had two and no issues. I didn’t keep either long enough to give them a good test.
    I’ve shot Bushnell DMR Series since they came out. I’m currently shooting a Bushnell DMR3 and shot the DMR Pro before that. Ive NEVER had a failure and I don’t baby my rifles. They track true, and every tracking test I’ve seen confirms that. The glass is HD from LOW, and is right there with the the rest of the high end Jap glass. Better than everything in the NF line except the ATACR. There is nothing in the Leupold line I’d choose over one. They’re the in house scope at GA precision. George Gardner developed the reticles. It’s the best scope in its class by a wide margin IMO. You’ll have to spend a lot more to see minor improvements. Is a ZCO, March or S&B better? Yes. Worth 2-3 times the price? Hell no. I wish they would bring the 3-12 back. It was the perfect optic for an AR.
    IMG_2507.jpg
    Last edited by FLS; 07-14-2022 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post

Our local gun smuggler we both know talked with Leupold at great length about the objective size. They talked him out of a 50. Seems glass quality plays a bigger part on the light. And the lower mount helps too.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.