Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken bawg done right

Pilau is just a bog with extra shit thrown in(bacon, squirrel, duck, shrimp, vegetables...)

Wait, hot sauce is a "black thing"?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Wait, hot sauce is a "black thing"?
    Yea WTF? I’m pretty damn white but I have 3 different hot sauces in my truck to make sure I got what I need depending on the meal.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    1st one looks like chicken bog. I don’t know what the rest of that bullshit is. Upstate gumbo??? Lowcountry chicken and bullshit?? Midlands we can fuck up chicken and rice???
    Chicken, rice, Hillshire or Roger Wood sausage, onion, salt, pepper. That’s it. It needs no improvement. Anything else and you’ve fucked it up.
    Home made pickles and a slice of white bread on the side. Hot sauce if you have Negro tendencies.
    Except for the hot sauce comment I do however agree with the rest of this!

Who the heck doesn't like hot sauce on we'll just say, all of the above, dishes???

Crystal is colorblind. Rassist.

Gotta be Crystal

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I don't use the eye twitching line, other than that..
    It was just an added effect.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Pileau needs fatback, Butts meat or at least bacon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    1st one looks like chicken bog. I don’t know what the rest of that bullshit is. Upstate gumbo??? Lowcountry chicken and bullshit?? Midlands we can fuck up chicken and rice???
    Chicken, rice, Hillshire or Roger Wood sausage, onion, salt, pepper. That’s it. It needs no improvement. Anything else and you’ve fucked it up.
    Home made pickles and a slice of white bread on the side. Hot sauce if you have Negro tendencies.
    This right here....but cook your onions down with some diced bacon before you start cooking the rice/adding everything else.

All these other variations are from someone, somewhere down the line, allowing their wife to put her two cents in on what belongs in a pileau, when they good and damn well it don't belong.

I fussed at someone the other day for putting damn button cap mushrooms in a Frogmore and calling it a "Lo Boil". Damn come-yas don't have a lick of sense sometimes.

ETA:. I didn't read all the way to the hot sauce comment...while it has it's place, the folks that slather hotsauce on everything they eat are more than likely the same ones that order a ribeye well done.
    Last edited by FishSticker; 11-08-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    This right here....but cook your onions down with some diced bacon before you start cooking the rice/adding everything else.

All these other variations are from someone, somewhere down the line, allowing their wife to put her two cents in on what belongs in a pileau, when they good and damn well it don't belong.

I fussed at someone the other day for putting damn button cap mushrooms in a Frogmore and calling it a "Lo Boil". Damn come-yas don't have a lick of sense sometimes.

ETA:. I didn't read all the way to the hot sauce comment...while it has it's place, the folks that slather hotsauce on everything they eat are more than likely the same ones that order a ribeye well done.
    I like my hot sauce on some things but a Ribeye is to be blue rare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue rare? Nah. Rare to medium rare? Yes.

Bog, perlo, whatever you wanna call em..... Kinda like Lowcountry boil, Beaufort stew, Frogmore stew.... It's all the same dayum thing.
    Perlo or bog must consist of the rice being cooked utilizing the stock from the sausage or chicken , period!
    If you start any other way its crap Yankee food!
    I cook more sausage perlo (venison sausage) than any other but always serve it up with butterbeans cooked in smoked neckbone. And, I love it served up with fresh, crunchy coleslaw.... The combo is outstanding IMO.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 11-09-2019 at 06:08 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Didn’t get a pic until a few hours after it was ready and all of the liquid had been soaked up.

8 pound hen, water, salt, pepper, onion, bulk sausage, bay leaf.

B205D883-F19C-4E6D-B4C3-F17064375D61.jpg

I know it ain't authentic, but I used Paula Dean's bog recipe and substituted saffron (yeller) rice and it's the tits. It may not be the true bog I used to cook on camping trips with rice, onions, sausage, pepper, and canned chicken, but it's damn good.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Saffron rice is great. I used Jasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by PUDDY-T View Post
    Calling it “bawg” or even “bog”, putting bell peppers in it, or cooking it on a stove top with a Le Creuset would likely get you stabbed in the uterus in places like Williamsburg County, where people know how to cook pileau.
    I guarantee that whoever makes the best pot of chicken/rice/sausage in the Pee Dee cannot spell pileau, and they aren't half as uppity as most of the people posting on this thread. Y'all try too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by WNM View Post
    I guarantee that whoever makes the best pot of chicken/rice/sausage in the Pee Dee cannot spell pileau, and they aren't half as uppity as most of the people posting on this thread. Y'all try too hard.
    Way too hard, it's not that damn complicated......

Chickens??? Can y'all shoot a dove? What about quail? I am given pheasants that work well. Ducks too. Those make a bog. Screw a chicken.

And the sausage comes from pigs at the hunt club. Ones with tusks. Not a farmer's lose sow.

I plan to try it with brown rice one day. Not not rice consumme brown, but real brown rice.

Sometimes we have used Carolina Gold BBQ sauce as gravy.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.