Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    The ones I know of all lease land and set up shitty campers and spend weekends in them to shoot does and basket racked 6 points. Why TF anyone would travel TO SC to deer hunt is beyond me.....
    Look at the classified adds from a Jacksonville, FL newspaper right about now. I don't get it either but it is certainly happening.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    That one hasn't been heard around here in a looooooong long time...
    More sunlight more food
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    ...from North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. FIFY
    Show me where any state who has opened up Sunday hunting has lost anything to neighboring states. Cite something other than your feelings or opinion.

Again, we are not a destination hunting state. We are not special. We dont have anything but "trophy" blue catfish and wild pigs to attact an OOS hunter. Everything else is in the decline.

This Sunday thing isn't free. The open dates for almost every one of our WMA's are already shorter than the statewide season. Adding additional weekend days will increase harvest (duh). At best, most of our WMA's are balanced and most are over harvested for any given species. So, the open dates for each WMA will have to be adjusted for harvest which means shorter open windows or the over harvest will worsen and the balance will slip into over harvest.
    Take off your swami hat and show me the studies and numbers to support your argument. You can use the ones Glenn has provided, or scour for something else.

That "duh" comment is what is wrong with your argument, and overall the "management perspective" so prevalent in our state. Management is done by perspective, or personal objectives not by science. We pay all these biologists but dont ever use them for management purposes. It's public input and some pimping and whoring by the GA that determines what goes into the rule book. There is published market material out there that proves there are no adverse affects to wildlife from pressure or overharvest. It's just like this damned public meeting crap. DNR needs a public consensus before they can even make a recommendation to the GA when there is zero evidence to support anything beyond feelings. Did you read the harvest report on wild turkeys on our WMA's this year? Did it even make a full percentage point of total harvest?

So, the trade-off will be something like a 6-week open period without Sundays or a 4-week open window with Sundays. How is that better? How is more harvest better and which WMA species that we have can take additional harvest?
    What...? Trade offs? You're already talking about trading off something in exchange for something else and cant cite any data to support any of the arguments you've offered aside from a "duh". Each property is managed individually, at least according to my rule book. Manage the properties accordingly.

I'll gladly debate and entertain opposing viewpoints but stop making stuff up please. Just be honest and say you want no hunting on Sundays because that's how you were raised.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'll add our game laws were written and DNR was structured by carpet baggers and other such ilk back when they were raping, pimping, or whoring our state's resources, and properties after and during reconstruction. This is why nothing can be done by DNR without direction from the GA and honestly why we have stupid silly shit like protecting trophy blue catfish written in our game laws and blue laws on state hunting properties while we were gifted hunting and fishing as an inalienable right, as is now outlined in the state's constitution.

Everyone wants to talk shit about how awful SCDNR is, but all headaches people feel are a direct result of the interference by the GA.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I'll gladly debate and entertain opposing viewpoints but stop making stuff up please.
    I've already explained it. But I do it again and you're not as open minded as you claim to be...

Sunday hunting on a WMA without a corresponding decrease in the number of open days (probably 2 week days for every Sunday) will lead to over harvest on that WMA. That's the duh but, you're right it was rude and childish of me so I'll put it in terms of mathematics: 7/7 > 6/7.

So do we compensate and shorten the internal seasons for each WMA - certainly not, according to many on this thread, it's our land and we hunt it now...which by the way, they're not, there's almost internal seasons for WMA so to take them at their argument we have to open all WMA to anything that is legal to hunt on private lands in the same Game Zone...wait a minute - Game Zones? It's our land and we hunt it now...

Limit OOS hunters to tags on turkeys and deer is my suggested trade off for harvest. Glenn, Big Brother, Rubberhead, et. al., all have access to private land Limiting the value and pressure on the private land by reducing OOS hunters to one buck tag and one turkey tag is a good trade off. It might even let some of the Sunday advocates hunt their own property so they doesn't have to slip into government woods on Sunday to shoot some poor work-a-day laborer's spike on Sunday.

Just received an email from SCDNR with a link for a survey regarding Sunday hunting on WMAs. Here's the link...I think. You may have to copy and paste in your browser.

https://clemson.ca1.qualtrics.com/jf...very&utm_term=

Some of y'all can complicate anything. I just want to shoot a whitetail buck deer in a wma river swamp on a Sunday afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Some of y'all can complicate anything. I just want to shoot a whitetail buck deer in a wma river swamp on a Sunday afternoon.
    As do I.

But apparently it will cause the extinction of every species in the forest as it has done in the other 40 states that allow unrestricted hunting.

I've already explained it. But I do it again and you're not as open minded as you claim to be...

Sunday hunting on a WMA without a corresponding decrease in the number of open days (probably 2 week days for every Sunday) will lead to over harvest on that WMA. That's the duh but, you're right it was rude and childish of me so I'll put it in terms of mathematics: 7/7 > 6/7.
    Heavens.

I am a product of our state's education system. I was a mediocre math student, at best... and after some head scratching, I got what you mean by the greater than and less than thing.

What's giving me pause though, is how do you conclude that harvest rates will increase? Where is your data? Which state that relaxed the Sunday hunting restriction, saw an increase in harvest rates after they let the heathens kill all them deer, bo? I've looked at them. Have you or do you propose to legislate and bargain based on solely on conjecture and perception?

So do we compensate and shorten the internal seasons for each WMA - certainly not, according to many on this thread, it's our land and we hunt it now...which by the way, they're not, there's almost internal seasons for WMA so to take them at their argument we have to open all WMA to anything that is legal to hunt on private lands in the same Game Zone...wait a minute - Game Zones? It's our land and we hunt it now...

Limit OOS hunters to tags on turkeys and deer is my suggested trade off for harvest. Glenn, Big Brother, Rubberhead, et. al., all have access to private land Limiting the value and pressure on the private land by reducing OOS hunters to one buck tag and one turkey tag is a good trade off. It might even let some of the Sunday advocates hunt their own property so they doesn't have to slip into government woods on Sunday to shoot some poor work-a-day laborer's spike on Sunday.
    Most hunters aren't going to go from hunting 20 days a year to 30-40 days just b/c they can hunt on Sunday. They will probably hunt about the same amount as always, just have more options to do so.
    Last edited by Remy; 07-12-2021 at 01:25 PM.

When Sunday hunting was allowed in the Upstate it was the same discussion. Turned out it is rare to hear a shot on Sunday still now.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Most hunters aren't going to go from hunting 20 days a year to 30-40 days just b/c they can hunt on Sunday. They will probably hunt about the same amount as always, just have more options to do so.
    Look. There's conjecture that's actually subscribes to logic and which coincidentally happens to be why Rubberhead or anyone else cant provide a state that had to increase restrictions after relaxing the hunting ban.

I am a product of our state's education system.
    Me too...that's probably the biggest hurdle in the whole thing.

Data? - it's incumbent on the guys that want the change to supply the data. Where's yours that says it won't increase harvest to unmanageable levels? The data I can supply is simply that if we go from hunting 6 days a week to 7 days a week that harvest will increase, especially if that additional day is a weekend day. It's the whole reason folks are asking for it - to kill stuff.

I think there's a lot of "pro" Sunday hunters that are simply lashing out because they were forced to go to Sunday School when they were kids. Like I said, I hunt on Sundays.

Matter of fact, my Sunday batting average is better than it is on Saturday. Unless I've been taking vacation, I go into Saturday as a "cold" day. I might luck into something on Saturday but more likely I'll simply pick-up on whatever pattern the animals are in and am better prepared to exploit it on Sunday. I like hunting on Sundays (and, Yes, I'm a believer in Jesus Christ).

People aren't asking for Sunday so they can hunt less - that's ridiculous. People will hunt more. If that wasn't true nobody would be bothering to ask for Sundays.

People aren't asking for Sunday so they can hunt less - that's ridiculous. People will hunt more. If that wasn't true nobody would be bothering to ask for Sundays.
    You do realize you can hunt more and not harvest more right? I stand by my assessment that most hunters aren't going to hunt any more than normal. Most people have busy lives and aren't going to all of a sudden be able to hunt drastically more, no matter what day is available to hunt.

And I personally don't hunt on Sundays and probably never will no matter what the rules are. But, I believe others should have the full right to do so.

Honest question. Do any of y'all know of people OOS that just long to hunt public SC land? I just don't see it.
    People wanting to shoot a velvet buck- it would suit me, and many others I know, if the season start and end dates were moved 30 days- start Sept 15 and end Jan 31

Data? - it's incumbent on the guys that want the change to supply the data.
    https://congressionalsportsmen.org

It's all in there. It's been supplied ad nauseum and the basis behind the push.

Every possible opposition to relaxing Sunday hunting bans has been proposed in every state where it was rolled back. All of them. We're not special or unique and neither are your arguments. They're all listed in that link and they are all addressed. Emotional, broad, unfounded and sweeping claims are the norm.

You're smarter than the average bear. Dicto simpliciter isnt your style.

https://congressionalsportsmen.org

It's all in there. It's been supplied ad nauseum and the basis behind the push.

Every possible opposition to relaxing Sunday hunting bans has been proposed in every state where it was rolled back. All of them. We're not special or unique and neither are your arguments. They're all listed in that link and they are all addressed. Emotional, broad, unfounded and sweeping claims are the norm.

You're smarter than the average bear. Dicto simpliciter isnt your style.
    I think I've stepped through most of that stuff and there's not one piece of it that speaks to the Sunday Hunting issue. Okay, sportsmen spend a lot of money but how does that support a decision to open land for Sunday Hunting. There are few hunters every year. Okay, how will Sunday hunting change that? Hunters are to thank for the today's abundant wildlife and fish populations but what does that have to do with Sunday hunting?

There's a bunch of numbers but there's no data. I'm interested, though, if there's a way to look at this data that I'm missing because I there is no case made for Sunday hunting simply from the numbers they provided.

I think I've stepped through most of that stuff and there's not one piece of it that speaks to the Sunday Hunting issue. Okay, sportsmen spend a lot of money but how does that support a decision to open land for Sunday Hunting. There are few hunters every year. Okay, how will Sunday hunting change that? Hunters are to thank for the today's abundant wildlife and fish populations but what does that have to do with Sunday hunting?

There's a bunch of numbers but there's no data. I'm interested, though, if there's a way to look at this data that I'm missing because I there is no case made for Sunday hunting simply from the numbers they provided.
    What you're asking for is to prove a negative. Which cannot be done. The data you seek exist in 40 active case studies across the nation. Go find the groups in those states asking for Sunday hunting restriction to be enacted based on your theories of falling skies.

They do not exist. Period. These arguments are Quixotic at best.

This Sunday thing isn't free. The open dates for almost every one of our WMA's are already shorter than the statewide season. Adding additional weekend days will increase harvest (duh). At best, most of our WMA's are balanced and most are over harvested for any given species. So, the open dates for each WMA will have to be adjusted for harvest which means shorter open windows or the over harvest will worsen and the balance will slip into over harvest.

So, the trade-off will be something like a 6-week open period without Sundays or a 4-week open window with Sundays. How is that better? How is more harvest better and which WMA species that we have can take additional harvest?
    so how would you feel if the rest day was a weekday instead of Sunday?
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston