Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Hunting Update, Again...

This is the most entertaining web site in the universe. And if you own any custom turkey accessories, your turkey accessories are no where near as cool as you think they are. Welcome, and one other thing, cormorant season is priority # 1 bro. No hesitation. Get it done.

Sunday hunting should be archery only.

Can you be a conservative and also believe in public ownership of vast swaths of the land, and the public hunting that comes with it?

Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Can you be a conservative and also believe in public ownership of vast swaths of the land, and the public hunting that comes with it?
    Yes, but not a true libertarian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Sunday hunting should be archery only.
    There ya go. That way everyone can go buy a crossbow and say their a bow hunter
    80-20 Genaration

You should lose your hunting privileges if you use a crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    You should lose your hunting privileges if you use a crossbow.
    Only if you use it during archery season. Using it during gun season is fine because, after all, it is a gun that shoots an arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Only if you use it during archery season. Using it during gun season is fine because, after all, it is a gun that shoots an arrow.
    Nope, even if you shoot it at targets in your yard during July.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Warning up someone's lunch

For those of you that are for it, serious question.

Is it more of a principle thing… (we hunters should be able to use the land on Sundays if the general population can for free) Or is it more of an actual desire to hunt on Sundays?

Do supporters simply support because they feel like their hunting rights are being infringed upon?

^^^Dr. Phil in the house?

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post

Is it more of a principle thing… (we hunters should be able to use the land on Sundays if the general population can for free) Or is it more of an actual desire to hunt on Sundays?

Do supporters simply support because they feel like their hunting rights are being infringed upon?

It’s more of a that’s 50% of all the time a working man has to hunt. Add in kids, sports, other obligations and he quickly runs out of Saturdays to hunt. And for ground usage, if I can’t go hunt those teva wearing hippies shouldn’t be able to hike the same land. Or camp. Or fish. You can buy lottery tickets (gamble) on Sunday, but you can’t deer hunt on land your tax dollars pay for. No Sunday hunting is quite possibly the dumbest law on the books.

I’m for Sunday hunting because you can duck hunt public waters on Sundays but you can’t duck hunt public land on Sundays. Shit just don’t make sense as it stands now.

Quote Originally Posted by CreekGeek View Post
    I’m for Sunday hunting because you can duck hunt public waters on Sundays but you can’t duck hunt public land on Sundays. Shit just don’t make sense as it stands now.
    Zackly. I can go duck hunt “public waters” on Sundays, or go catch all the fish I want on Sundays, but heaven forbid I hunt WMA grounds those days.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Nope, even if you shoot it at targets in your yard during July.
    No matter how good lookin you are.

I feel like Sunday hunting will lead to increased potentially unsustainable pressure in the area I am in. Already sounds like a war every Saturday morning and quite a few weekday mornings during duck season. People do not coordinate on public land and the same areas get hammered day after day. I would also venture to say a majority of those doing the shooting could care less about managing the resource.

Maybe allow still hunting for deer or whatever on Sundays but I tend to lean towards liking the woods quiet on Sundays and it has nothing to do with my religion.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post

All of the above. As someone above said, it is quite possibly the stupidest law in South Carolina. Let's break down the "reasons" for keeping it illegal:

It's the Lord's Day.
    Look, I am in church every Sunday morning worshipping Jesus and wish more people would. No doubt, all of our societal problems would be cured if we had more true Christians. However, it is not the Government's job to make rules based on religious participation. Matter of fact, they are explicitly prohibited from doing such a thing. Every single Blue Law has been repealed in SC except hunting. And only on WMAs. Because hunting on private land is ok via the Bible? But fishing public water is ok? Get outta here. Also, don't be shortsighted on this. Unfortunately, SC is turning Liberal in a lot of areas. If this trend continues, state government being able to make laws based on religious, or lack of, belief may affect us Christians negatively. Let's just keep government out of it completely.

Safety of non hunters (especially the horse riders)
    Not an issue in any other state. This is a made up fear to justify having Sundays to themselves on public land for those who want it that way. I'm from Tennessee originally. Spent 3 years in Minnesota before moving here. Both states allowed 7 day a week hunting. Nobody was shot off their horses like it was the Civil War. Same in the 42, and growing, states that allow hunting 7 days a week on public land. As for the hikers, horse riders, mushroom pickers, campers, dog walkers, frisbee throwers, etc., there are thousands of acres of public land in SC that doesn't allow hunting at all. Do those things there. We aren't asking to be able to hunt in state/county parks...though I'd like to!

Animals need a day of rest
    Possibly the silliest of all 3 arguments. All Sunday hunting will do is likely spread out some of the Saturday pressure to Sundays. Yall act like the total harvest of Saturday hunters will literally double because they'd be out there every Sunday as well and all our game would disappear. Again, look at other states. They aren't having game populations dropping because of Sunday hunting. The reasons we have game populations declining are related to management issues, not pressure. There are states with as much, maybe even more, public hunting pressure than South Carolina that are doing fine harvest and population wise.

Overall, yes it is absurd that 50% of the average working person's opportunity is taken away. Sometimes my Saturday gets squandered by work, or a 40 degree rainstorm. Not fun deer hunting weather. Why should I not be able to hunt on Sundays after church if I choose? The only way is to pay about $1500 to join a hunt club.

I joined a hunt club one year, absolutely hated it. Packed like sardines with people who couldn't find a set of deer tracks without 200 lbs of corn in a pile driving their stupid ATVs all over the place to dump more corn because they're too lazy to walk anywhere. It was such a pathetic thing to see. Really I only joined to be able to hunt on Sundays and hated it so much I didn't renew my membership. I did kill a doe, saw a few more deer, but overall saw very few. There was so much baiting that if you weren't baiting, you weren't seeing deer. I purposely avoided any baited areas because I'm not interested in doing it that way, so I barely saw anything.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 06-22-2022 at 07:22 AM.

If it were put on a ballot I would vote yes to allow for Sunday hunting, simply out of principle. But in reality this issue is not dear and near enough to my heart to call and really fight for it.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Hippie ass hipsters just want to wear their trendy camo and web belts an extra day a week.