Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diversity

Quote Originally Posted by jasonw View Post
    If you are talking about diversity in the workplace, there are a number of studies that correlate it to success. Basic principle is that if a bunch of 40 year old white men make all of the decisions, their inherent cultural biases will work against them to come up with the absolute most successful product. Whereas if you take a mix of the population (age, sex, race, region, etc) then you get a more comprehensive view of the world in which ideas come together in a blender hopefully giving you the most successful product. The tradeoff is in agreement. You'll spend more time getting to the right answer getting a culturally diverse cohort to agree, but in the end, you'll have better results. The traditional cohort of 40 year old white males will come to consensus much quicker because they will be generally aligned on their worldviews.
    Trapper John and Hawkeye were 40 year old white men. Yet, the army kept them not because they fit in with the Army culture but because they were accomplished surgeons. Now all we have is Klingers...I hope I don't need surgery...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Is it really important? What does it really achieve? Don't people generally gravitate toward people with whom they share commonalities, and shouldn't that be our choice? Your thoughts?
    Their diversity is stereotyping.

If you are talking about diversity in the workplace, there are a number of studies that correlate it to success. Basic principle is that if a bunch of 40 year old white men make all of the decisions, their inherent cultural biases will work against them to come up with the absolute most successful product. Whereas if you take a mix of the population (age, sex, race, region, etc) then you get a more comprehensive view of the world in which ideas come together in a blender hopefully giving you the most successful product. The tradeoff is in agreement. You'll spend more time getting to the right answer getting a culturally diverse cohort to agree, but in the end, you'll have better results. The traditional cohort of 40 year old white males will come to consensus much quicker because they will be generally aligned on their worldviews.

Bottom line is that many companies are doing this to expect actual financial results, not just checking a PC checkbox.
    Sure, granted the hires are based on skill, aptitude, and/or experience.

That being said, decisions regarding equally-ranked candidates used to fall overwhelmingly to white folks; it's just how it was. However, I can almost guarantee you the scale has tipped heavily in the other direction. Worst thing you can be in this world right now is a heterosexual, white male. So it ends up being reverse racism, which defeats the point.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

That being said, decisions regarding equally-ranked candidates used to fall overwhelmingly to white folks; it's just how it was. However, I can almost guarantee you the scale has tipped heavily in the other direction. Worst thing you can be in this world right now is a heterosexual, white male. So it ends up being reverse racism, which defeats the point.
    Bingo

Most people self segregate even these days. Go into the break room at most manufacturing facilities or school and the black all sit together and the whites all sit together. There are a few blacks that sit with the whites mostly older workers. Same situation as when I was in high school except for the clicks (cheerleader, jocks, dopers, academics, and nerds) over rode that. Nobody forces this it just happens naturally. We associate with those that have a similar culture and economics for the most part
    Last edited by centurian; 05-19-2022 at 01:04 PM.

Diversity originated as a business strategy for corporations and no other reason.
    Make your company a mirror image of your customers. Hispanics, African Americans,
    Europeans, Asians, etc all shop and spend money
    So, have your workforce reflect them,

I truly dislike when companies tie diversity with equity. If anything it should be diversity and equality.

Companies quote studies where diverse companies are more successful. I've not bothered to look into the data but that is the mantra. I'm in software.

Y’all must have never been forced to hire a specific MBE or WBE contractor. Horror stories for some.

I don't do that.. but I have a few female employees that have tattoos galore. It almost makes me feel like I own a few head shops.

I once took a class for some business reasons on said topic. The cohort instructor was a fat chick with all sorts of hair color who was angry at every white person in the room. One topic was "why do all the black kids sit at the lunch table together". We had to "explore" this as a group. She tried to tell us that it was because they were afraid of whites and the system had always told them they should sit apart. A very engaging black man in the class said maybe they want to sit with other folks that look like them and come from similar backgrounds and similar family models. She went into a rage and basically told the gentleman he was "institutionalized" into thinking that way. He said, in a very calm voice, "no, I just don't want to sit with folks that might be eating bagels and cream cheese for lunch." The class erupted in laughter and she sent us home early.

How is it that humans never realized that large lesbians are the only choice for store managers before now?

All real lesbians look like linebackers with mullets. Model quality lesbians are libertine posers. Not that I don't like libertine posers.

Bottom line is that many companies are doing this to expect actual financial results, not just checking a PC checkbox.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/Z4VzLLBx8IQ
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 05-19-2022 at 08:01 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    You should watch White Hot on Netflix. It’s about how Abercrombie and Fitch tanked because they were not diverse and hiring other ethnicities or body types to promote their product. It is basically everything that is wrong w woke culture. If a successful brand that is generally marketed towards white people (bc the company understands their consumer base) only hires attractive white people to model and represent the brand then they are called racist.

What I found interesting about the show is at the beginning it talks about a girl who started off working at FUBU and other brands marketed toward black people. What the show doesn’t discuss is that no one has called out FUBU and others for their marketing scheme. I know your average FUBU customer does not want to see me (a white) in FUBU advertisements. Thus I’m not going to go apply there.
    I watched that a week or so back.

Was he a real racist? I think it’s clear he was.

BUT….. in a free society, a company should be able to cater to and promote a specific culture of their choosing.
    A&F got so big that other apparel lines probably got jealous and exploited his obsessive desire to cater to a specific clientele.

There is a certain standard and image that all companies want to represent them.
    I don’t think at it’s core, it’s discriminatory for wrangler jeans to not want a tranny with purple hair to be the head of their PR dept.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 05-19-2022 at 08:06 PM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    The tie breaker for "who's blacker" will have to come down to rhythm.
    I would lose that battle in epic fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I watched that a week or so back.

Was he a real racist? I think it’s clear he was.

BUT….. in a free society, a company should be able to cater to and promote a specific culture of their choosing.
    A&F got so big that other apparel lines probably got jealous and exploited his obsessive desire to cater to a specific clientele.

There is a certain standard and image that all companies want to represent them.
    I don’t think at it’s core, it’s discriminatory for wrangler jeans to not want a tranny with purple hair to be the head of their PR dept.
    Grown ups didn't wear that shit..

And this had to play a part

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I would lose that battle in epic fashion.
    I would know better than to enter that battle
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Well, of course you hire on skill, aptitude, experience (and potential). It's not a quota thing. You know I'm in "upper management" and we have never talked once about a quota, and I have never had to pick between two people based on skin color. Job always goes to the person who is best fit. If I like them both, I hire them both. That being said, if you want to promote diversity in your workplace, it's really about attracting diverse candidates to come interview for you to begin with. It's about where and how you recruit. Sometimes it's about the "brand" of your company, the reputation, some of the programs you run. For example, some of the companies that I have worked for offer things like leadership programs for females. What do you think HR and recruiting (typically dominated by females) talk about when they are sourcing female candidates? Which company will attract more women of child bearing age. A company with a 1 month maternity leave or a 3 month maternity leave?

That being said, I'm also in software which is somewhat diverse by nature.

Well, of course you hire on skill, aptitude, experience (and potential). It's not a quota thing. You know I'm in "upper management" and we have never talked once about a quota, and I have never had to pick between two people based on skin color. Job always goes to the person who is best fit. If I like them both, I hire them both. That being said, if you want to promote diversity in your workplace, it's really about attracting diverse candidates to come interview for you to begin with. It's about where and how you recruit. Sometimes it's about the "brand" of your company, the reputation, some of the programs you run. For example, some of the companies that I have worked for offer things like leadership programs for females. What do you think HR and recruiting (typically dominated by females) talk about when they are sourcing female candidates? Which company will attract more women of child bearing age. A company with a 1 month maternity leave or a 3 month maternity leave?

That being said, I'm also in software which is somewhat diverse by nature.

Should I be forced to hire white dudes who are lazy, strung out, never show up, bitch about everything, do shitty work while asking for a raise, with face tats and a felony background? If so I'm getting out
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid