Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey bill

I would think public will abide by the GZ1 and 2 dates like it used to.

I honestly would like to see public lands go with the proposed dates of DNR just to see how it works and if the populations grow.

We will see a bumper hatch this Spring. The best in 5 years. A big boost in the population is coming and it has nothing to do with the season, but they'll say it was because they changed the season.

Never should have messed with any of it.
    Last edited by M2Field; 05-07-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    We will see a bumper hatch this Spring. The best in 5 years. A big boost in the population is coming and it has nothing to do with the season, but they'll say it was because they changed the season.

Never should have messed with any of it.
    I'm no where near bashing you, but what makes you believe that?
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Man is merely a two legged locust, devouring wild lands, developing and prostituting wildlife and fisheries under the guise of "use of the resource" for tremendous profit and moving on. Will it ever end?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I'm no where near bashing you, but what makes you believe that?
    Finally a dry Spring if this weather pattern holds.

Poults are hitting the ground in the best survival conditions we've had in years.
    Last edited by M2Field; 05-07-2019 at 07:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    Finally a dry Spring if this weather pattern holds.
    Dangit!!! Now we will get 3" today!!

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Birds gobbled hard here in Hampton Co last week.....today is May 6th.
    One bird (Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning) gobbled 250 times from 7pm to 7am.....
    The birds spread out more and are often not in the traditional roost areas but it's not like they suddenly know it's 4 days after our traditional season closure and stop gobbling people!
    I agree. My problem with it is I don’t buy or believe in very little as the what DNR does or the info they feed us. And no the one study is not the gospel.
    80-20 Genaration

The Senate just approved the bill as amended by the House. The legislature has passed: This current version says 3/22-4/30 (GZ-3/4) and 4/1-5/10 (GZ-1/2)... They see that as a compromise between 3/20 and 3/25, I think. This also shows a daily bag limit of one with only one in the first 10 days of each of the two areas. The tags cost would now be $5 for three Resident tags and $100 for two Non-Resident tags. DNR must implement an electronic harvest reporting system. I think that's it, but anyone let me know if I misread something.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    The Senate just approved the bill as amended by the House. The legislature has passed: This current version says 3/22-4/30 (GZ-3/4) and 4/1-5/10 (GZ-1/2)... They see that as a compromise between 3/20 and 3/25, I think. This also shows a daily bag limit of one with only one in the first 10 days of each of the two areas. The tags cost would now be $5 for three Resident tags and $100 for two Non-Resident tags. DNR must implement an electronic harvest reporting system. I think that's it, but anyone let me know if I misread something.
    The 3/23 was because it was exactly 10 days from the end of the month for the 1 bird the first 10 days part. It wasn't necessarily a compromise. Everything else is correct

Have been told that out of staters with a life time license (me) are treated the same as residents, but cant seem to find where that is defined anywhere. Anyone know the treatment of lifetime license holders?

Disregard --- didn't read down in the bill far enough.

Section 5, (B) There is no cost for wild turkey tags for persons under the age of sixteen, lifetime licensees, and gratis licensees upon request to the department."

Nice - one of the best decisions I ever made was leaving Columbia and buying a lifetime license on the way out of town.
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 05-22-2019 at 03:15 PM.

That right there is some bullshit. I don’t care if you do buy a life time license. If you leave this state it should not count. Everything should be considered out of state. IMHO
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 05-22-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Wow. Incredible loophole that out of staters with a life time license get free tags.

Not a loophole, it’s the way it ought to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Not a loophole, it’s the way it ought to be.
    Why should someone that just happened to live here at some point and got a life time license be able to freeload?

Default Turkey bill

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Why should someone that just happened to live here at some point and got a life time license be able to freeload?
    Would t exactly call it freeloading when they ponied up the big bucks for the lifetime license. They paid $500+ for the lifetime license vs the $30 or whatever annual price.

I lived in GA for 10 years and bought a lifetime license while there. Is it not fair that I get to hunt in GA for free for the rest of my life?

Lifetime licenses are an excellent baby gift for someone. Both my kids have one for SC and GA. Granted I took a gamble on if they will be outdoors women or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Johnny Reb; 05-22-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    It’s a valid resident license, they should be treated just like any other resident.

That license more than pays the state back for any lost revenue from a turkey tag. How many gratis license eligible people have you helped get their free license? You need to get every person you know to sign up, especially the ones that don’t hunt or fish.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    Have been told that out of staters with a life time license (me) are treated the same as residents, but cant seem to find where that is defined anywhere. Anyone know the treatment of lifetime license holders?

Disregard --- didn't read down in the bill far enough.

Section 5, (B) There is no cost for wild turkey tags for persons under the age of sixteen, lifetime licensees, and gratis licensees upon request to the department."

Nice - one of the best decisions I ever made was leaving Columbia and buying a lifetime license on the way out of town.

But doesn't a nonresident only get two tags? Just because they might be free does not change a person's residence.

A resident license should result in you being treated as a resident. Period. It shouldn’t matter how much you paid for the license, when you bought the license or how long the license is good for.

how about a treestand born in GA that resides in SC on land being surveyed?

Asking for a friend...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I cant say I disagree. Would have thought at minimum I would've had to pay the resident cost. However, it clearly stated when I bought the lifetime license that turkey tags would be included in the cost of the license. My guess is that the DNR or legislature didnt have a choice in how to handle this based on the poorly written licencse agreements from the past.

Lifetime licenses only make sense (in my opinion) to be bought as baby gifts or for people like me who are residents at one point, moving out of state but know they are going to be hunting still in SC. But holy f-- it has saved me some cash. $225/year +/- for 17 years.... and now $325 + and extra turkey tag... in the future.