Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Farm relief

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    For the record do you support any flood assistance for farmers?
    Do we actually have a choice?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the tax payer is already supporting/subsidizing farmers thru various programs funded wholly or partially with tax payer dollars now. Many of these tax dollars are free (premium subsidies for crop insurance) and as such no payback requirement. The tax dollar faucet has been running for years. It seems like you government types want to crank the faucet open even more regardless of the fact that the well ( tax coffers) is running dry.
    Maybe instead of government providing more tax dollars to support the farming industry the government can remove some of the regulations on the industry and let the market sort itself out.

I'm a small business owner. We opened our business in 1985 and we've never borrowed a dime to run our operation. The income from my business supports 4 families.
    The last 5-8 years has been difficult due to prior government actions and subsequent failures (think mortgage lending/housing bubble that burst, big banks too large to fail bail outs, etc.) that have weakened the economy and has trickled down and has increased the tax burden on everyone that works for a living. Throw into the mix a huge expansion of wasteful government welfare and assistance programs and it quite simply becomes unsustainable.
    We've continued on thru these last 5 years with modest 1.5 -2% growth but expenses are increasing at a much higher rate and as such the value of my dollar continues to decrease and it's harder and harder every year to pay my bills.

I will sink or swim on my own. I don't expect any of you guys or your tax dollars to bail me out.
    I just want the government to let me keep more of the money that I earn so that I can survive.

Every new assistance program funded by tax payer dollars just exacerbates the problem.
    As a business owner I face many risks. I will sink or swim on my own. If it remains viable I stay in business. If not I fail.
    But one things for sure, there are no government programs funneling tax payer dollars into my business.

Do I support farmers? Yes, I have great empathy for their situation but I do not support an expansion of any program that takes more money out of my pocket via increased taxation.

I've got to eat also.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    For the record do you support any flood assistance for farmers?

This is not about Duck Tape.
    Are you going to keep dodging my question or you still working on an answer?

Why do you deem it appropriate to give our tax dollars to others who have faced a known hardship in their business? Why do you deem it appropriate to give money to farmers while many many other industries won't recieve a dime?

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but the tax payer is already supporting/subsidizing farmers thru various programs funded wholly or partially with tax payer dollars now. Many of these tax dollars are free (premium subsidies for crop insurance) and as such no payback requirement. The tax dollar faucet has been running for years. It seems like you government types want to crank the faucet open even more regardless of the fact that the well ( tax coffers) is running dry.
    Maybe instead of government providing more tax dollars to support the farming industry the government can remove some of the regulations on the industry and let the market sort itself out.

I'm a small business owner. We opened our business in 1985 and we've never borrowed a dime to run our operation. The income from my business supports 4 families.
    The last 5-8 years has been difficult due to prior government actions and subsequent failures (think mortgage lending/housing bubble that burst, big banks too large to fail bail outs, etc.) that have weakened the economy and has trickled down and has increased the tax burden on everyone that works for a living. Throw into the mix a huge expansion of wasteful government welfare and assistance programs and it quite simply becomes unsustainable.
    We've continued on thru these last 5 years with modest 1.5 -2% growth but expenses are increasing at a much higher rate and as such the value of my dollar continues to decrease and it's harder and harder every year to pay my bills.

I will sink or swim on my own. I don't expect any of you guys or your tax dollars to bail me out.
    I just want the government to let me keep more of the money that I earn so that I can survive.

Every new assistance program funded by tax payer dollars just exacerbates the problem.
    As a business owner I face many risks. I will sink or swim on my own. If it remains viable I stay in business. If not I fail.
    But one things for sure, there are no government programs funneling tax payer dollars into my business.

Do I support farmers? Yes, I have great empathy for their situation but I do not support an expansion of any program that takes more money out of my pocket via increased taxation.

I've got to eat also.
    Wonderful response, and dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by jtmartin View Post
    Just my opinion but I want my elected officials to do what is in the best interest of the population not what is necessarily popular vote. Ideally those 2 things will be the same but not always. My kids would vote to have donoughts every meal of the day but obviously that isn't in there best interest to do so.

That is why it is so important to vote and make sure "WE the people" have the right person for the job. One that will listen to the public, take their concerns into great consideration and hopefully make a decision that will be best of all parties involved.
    I hear what you are saying but disagree. I know what I'm about to say could be spun about adults but for the sake of argument...Your kids are minors. They are not old enough to make those decisions for themselves as they are not old enough or mature enough to understand their consequences.

Voting, tax paying adults should have a say and their voice be heard (Public Opinion)...Majority and Minority. And yes, I do feel that's all that matters when our representatives are making their decisions. The problem is they inject personal feelings and personal gains into their votes.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    I hear what you are saying but disagree. I know what I'm about to say could be spun about adults but for the sake of argument...Your kids are minors. They are not old enough to make those decisions for themselves as they are not old enough or mature enough to understand their consequences.

Voting, tax paying adults should have a say and their voice be heard (Public Opinion)...Majority and Minority. And yes, I do feel that's all that matters when our representatives are making their decisions. The problem is they inject personal feelings and personal gains into their votes.
    I agree, voices should definitely be heard and taken into consideration but I promise you only a minority's of the population knows what's best for the majority.

In agriculture district it is important to have those legislators toe the line with this bill. This is one of those vills with a clever name "The Palmetto Farm Aid" bill

Haley knows she doesn't need a bail out on her watch due to her national aspirations.

"What the Farm Bureau has asked for is direct cash payments from the federal government to farmers who chose to be under-insured, something that no other industry in the state is asking for or will be receiving,” Haley’s spokeswoman, Chaney Adams, said earlier this month."
    Last edited by Bigtimber2; 12-24-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Here's a suggestion for government and their ongoing, unquenchable thirst for tax payer dollars-

Do what I did. Make the hard decision to reduce expenses not increase them. I drive an 11 year old truck and live in a modest house. My choices has resulted in financial stability an excellent credit rating. I can walk into a dealership today and buy any truck I want. I can buy boats, a newer and bigger house. I can go on expensive vacations to Hawaii if I choose.
    But I realize that sooner or later the bills will come due and I have to pay them and I would quickly become bankrupt. If a guy with a high school education can figure this out, why the hell can't you smart, college educated government officials do the same?

Maybe it's because it isn't your money that you're spending?
    Last edited by scatter shot; 12-24-2015 at 10:09 AM.

What's in the best interest of the population depends on the level of government. The Federal government is constrained by the Constitution, or at least that was the original plan. FDR shot that in the leg and we've been suffering from his progressive corruption ever since. State and local governments aren't constrained by the Constitution and they tend to follow the commonly held beliefs of the local population, which is why some places are liberal shitholes and some places have more freedom.

Right now, our commonly held beliefs are divided with 67 saying no and 52 saying yes to a tax redistribution scheme designed to buy votes but pitched as a trickle down shot in the economic arm. And 43% of the "conservatives" in here agree with this particular wealth redistribution scheme and disagree with it when it doesn't conform to their notion of right and wrong.

Who is right? Are conservative right even when they're wrong because their good intentions are more just than the liberal left's intentions?

I propose these do-gooders who want to spend that money simply give it back to the people who paid it in so we can spend it as we see fit. After all, we earned it.
    Last edited by Fish; 12-24-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Why would anyone think it is a good thing to take a working persons money (tax dollars) and give it to anyone or group or business enterprise? What is the reasoning? What are they trying to accomplish with the taxpayers money?

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post

Just like he did with the flag...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    In agriculture district it is important to have those legislators toe the line with this bill. This is one of those vills with a clever name "The Palmetto Farm Aid" bill

Haley knows she doesn't need a bail out on her watch due to her national aspirations.

"What the Farm Bureau has asked for is direct cash payments from the federal government to farmers who chose to be under-insured, something that no other industry in the state is asking for or will be receiving,” Haley’s spokeswoman, Chaney Adams, said earlier this month."
    Haley needs to get off her high horse and do what is right for the state. Some of you act as if this money is gonna be given back to you if they don't spend it on the famers.

News flash it will not.

It will be given to other states for stupid crap like Obama phones.

Give it to the farmers at least it will come back to SC and be put directly into our economy!

And her spokes person is a flipping idiot spinning the situation to make it seem as if the farmers are just irresponsible folks who don't take precautions to protect their investment.

Let me explain this in simple terms.

You own a business. You call up insurance company you tell them you want insurance on your building and contents. They come out appraise your building give you a price on total replacement. Thats it your covered. You pay the sum and go on your way.

That is not at all the way insurance for crops works. First off you can't insure but 75% no matter what. Right there your at a disadvantage from the start.

Then your basing it off of averages not what the crop is actually worth, and forget input cost.

Quickly you realize this so called insurance really isn't insurance in the normal sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Haley needs to get off her high horse and do what is right for the state. Some of you act as if this money is gonna be given back to you if they don't spend it on the famers.

News flash it will not.

Give it to the farmers at least it will come back to SC and be put directly into our economy!

And her spokes person is a flipping idiot spinning the situation to make it seem as if the farmers are just irresponsible folks who don't take precautions to protect their investment.

You own a business. You call up insurance company you tell them you want insurance on your building and contents. They come out appraise your building give you a price on total replacement. Thats it your covered. You pay the sum and go on your way.

That is not at all the way insurance for crops works. First off you can't insure but 75% no matter what. Right there your at a disadvantage from the start.

Then your basing it off of averages not what the crop is actually worth, and forget input cost.

Quickly you realize this so called insurance really isn't insurance in the normal sense.
    Every single word of this is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post

I've got to eat also.
    Excellent post. DT I would like to hear your direct response to this.
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Wait.

You mean to tell me crop insurance is somehow different than insuring a physical building and inventory? But you think it should be the same?

Do you have loss of income insurance on your business? Not business interruption insurance, but a policy that will pay you if your profits aren't what they should be for this year for whatever reason?

Explain to me, in simple terms, how insuring against future profit loss should be exactly the same as insuring a building and contents.
    Rule #2: Double tap

The truth is a lie that will get you killed.

Duncraft Pro-Staff

Is there really another thread about something DT is "signing and supporting"

Comical.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Every single word of this is stupid.

Merry Christmas Fish
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Business and investments come with risk. Never risk more than you can afford to lose. Floods, droughts, ice stroms, hurricanes, etc. happen. Smart people with a strong ethic can start over and still succeed unless we continue to grow government past the tipping point.

The legislators are not picking winner and losers out what is best for SC they are seeking the repay a group that lobbies the best. The one thing that almost everyone hates about government.

I totally disagree with your point we should support this because the General Assembly will spend the revenue elsewhere. Plus, we do not know how they intend to fund this bill (beyond the taxpayers' backs).

News flash it will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Business and investments come with risk. Never risk more than you can afford to lose. Floods, droughts, ice stroms, hurricanes, etc. happen. Smart people with a strong ethic can start over and still succeed unless we continue to grow government past the tipping point.

The legislators are not picking winner and losers out what is best for SC they are seeking the repay a group that lobbies the best. The one thing that almost everyone hates about government.

I totally disagree with your point we should support this because the General Assembly will spend the revenue elsewhere. Plus, we do not know how they intend to fund this bill (beyond the taxpayers' backs).
    He was talking about Haley refusing to ask for Federal assistance when they have money allocated for this. Not the General Assembly. And he's right that the feds will spend this money and give it to another state.

Its comical that Haley and others pretend that we are independent from the national government because we didn't ask for assistance for the farmers.

If we weren't already receiving millions from them I would applaud it, but we are beating our chest because we didn't take everything. It's like someone gives you a car but you brag that you pay for the gas in the car.

Just look at the Syrian refugees. Why do you think she doesn't make a stand? Because we are slaves to the federal money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    What's in the best interest of the population depends on the level of government. The Federal government is constrained by the Constitution, or at least that was the original plan. FDR shot that in the leg and we've been suffering from his progressive corruption ever since. State and local governments aren't constrained by the Constitution and they tend to follow the commonly held beliefs of the local population, which is why some places are liberal shitholes and some places have more freedom.

Right now, our commonly held beliefs are divided with 67 saying no and 52 saying yes to a tax redistribution scheme designed to buy votes but pitched as a trickle down shot in the economic arm. And 43% of the "conservatives" in here agree with this particular wealth redistribution scheme and disagree with it when it doesn't conform to their notion of right and wrong.

Who is right? Are conservative right even when they're wrong because their good intentions are more just than the liberal left's intentions?

I propose these do-gooders who want to spend that money simply give it back to the people who paid it in so we can spend it as we see fit. After all, we earned it.
    Bingo

Give my money back to me and let me distribute it how I choose.

News flash it will not.

And here is what you do..

You figure at some point in your career that you will fall on hard times so you plan for that day by saving and preparing. Maybe drive that pickup an extra few years or don't buy that new combine. It can be done.