Thread: Killing Turkeys With a Pistol

Default Killing Turkeys With a Pistol

Last edited by wskinner; 02-09-2020 at 10:17 AM.

Not sure what states allow weapons other than shotgun or archery but California allows pellet rifle hunting for them. I would assume it's because of the overpopulation of them out on the West coast and the number of neighborhoods that have been inundated with them. I bought a Gamo Whisper and if the Coast Guard sends me back out there with my next set of orders (coming this summer) then I plan to put it to use and take a few with it. Should be quite a challenge!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

A number of years ago I killed a nice gobbler with my 410 Thompson Contender pistol at 9 steps. I thought that was pretty cool and posted it on SC outdoors forum and someone asked if it was legal. I called my friend Charles Ruth and he said he actually did not know but would check into it for me. I then called another friend Buford Mabry who was the legal counsel for DNR and he was not sure either. I offered to turn myself in and pay whatever fine was necessary. They both called me back and said that the law enforcement had never been asked that question but that it was in the grey area and probably illegal even though it was a shotgun round. They both said do not worry about it but said "job well done!"
    I only hunt on days that end in "y"!

I got drawn for a FL WMA and I’m allowed to take a pellet gun if I want. I’ve decided on a shotgun
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

By all means I would take a shotgun too on a draw hunt for an oceola. But the turkeys in California are dumber than rocks and it will likely be way more fun with the pellet rifle out there. We used to sit in the horse stalls at my buddies farm and shoot the gobblers when they would get to the doors just before they came in to scratch around. The shear numbers out there are amazing if you've never had a chance to go see them for yourselves!
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Florida you can use whatever you want....I’m pretty sure that’s where the video is from

Texas can use rifles in spring also
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

FL used to allow rifles for turkeys on public. Let that sink in
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I'm going to keep carrying my shotgun, but if I decided to try something different, I believe I'd go with one of those slingshots with a Whisker Biscuit on it.

SC allowed rifles up till about 80-81. Sorta headed back that way in a round about way lol.

Regs now say: "Legal weapons – shotguns, muzzleloading shotguns, bows and crossbows. All other weapons or methods are prohibited including rifles, pistols, slugs, and buckshot (SC 50-11-500, Reg. 123-51)."
    I reckon rocks and sticks are out. A 1x2 works pretty good on domestic turkeys.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I got drawn for a FL WMA and I’m allowed to take a pellet gun if I want. I’ve decided on a shotgun
    Take me with you and I'll tote a pellet rifle
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I feel a wave of .22 rat shot TSS 9 from a single shot hammer pistol about to hit youtube this year.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Make it a double barrel derringer with hammers and I'm ok with it.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

turkeys are stupid

Who said different?

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    turkeys are stupid
    So are fish.

Please , no blowgun hunting. Or Video of same.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

https://www.facebook.com/1003902954/...857790611/?d=n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

I remember turkey hunting in sc with a rifle.I was a maybe 7 ish but it was common practice. The Thanksgiving either sex seasons sounded like a dove shoot.