Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicken feed

I let my chickens roam. I haven’t given them laying pellets or crumbles in 2 years. I’ll throw scratch grains out daily, but I think since my roosters are pegging them daily it stimulates their egg laying. I’ve got I think around 15 hens and way too many roosters right now. I’ll get about 2 dozen every other day, and that’s just from the hens lay lay in the coop. Some of them hens are sneaky. I found a bunch of bad eggs in my decoy bags earlier this season.
    867-5309

My hen turkeys have been laying too. I just hatched 3 poults in the incubator as a test run. One of my hens must have a nest somewhere because she comes home about every few days right now for some feed
    867-5309

Any of you chicken guys have any barred rock roosters you wanna part with? I need one around the house to chase my girls around
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Any of you chicken guys have any barred rock roosters you wanna part with? I need one around the house to chase my girls around
    You need a Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire. Let one of them sit and have black sex links. Culls the cockerels as the will have white dots on their heads.

Barred rocks suck if you want a pet. They arent very social but they lay good. I have 7 barred rock, 2 mutts, and three silkie hens and I get about 7/day. I feed FRM 15% layer pellets from Barnyard Feed in Jedburg. I keep a light on and have two roosters. Bruce the Roos and Scary Larry. Bruce is an asshole and can take a whuppin and Larry is a Silkie and is cool AF.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

My barred rock hens follow me around like puppy dogs. One is a straight up bitch though. Ive kicked her quite a few times after she pecked me while filling feeder. The rest act like a dog and want to be petted. I got 4 eggs today compared to one from before switching feeds yesterday. See what tomorrow holds
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

We have 10 hens bought between may-july of last year. We've fed nothing but producer pride up until 3 weeks ago. Haven't had an egg yet. Chalked it up to weather, day light, etc. Free ranged them for a few days a switched up brands. Within the last week we have been getting 4 eggs a day. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not but we're going to stick with other name brands for awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Here’s a good thread of the original story link above on Twitter. A few of the sub-reply threads are particularly interesting, and especially the one following a post about Bill Gates’ push for man-made eggs.

https://twitter.com/KeriA1776again/s...rey-epstein%2F

Here’s the link to the Gates info…

https://twitter.com/BillGates/status/315550064258985984

Unfortunately you have to keep clicking on 'Show More Replies' to stay on the Bill Gates' thread. It relates to his talking about making man-made eggs, that apparently include upwards of 15 chemicals, including some that are in detergents.

Piss on Bill Gates... oh, and toofer, too.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-30-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

My wife has been after me sense before the whole egg shortage to get chickens. I absolutely detest eggs. I hate the smell of them. I also have several dogs that think anything that moves is supposed to be hunted down and brought back to show off. Anything from squirrels, coyotes, up to deer. So in my mind it never made much sense to have them "free range"

But I got to thinking after reading this thread maybe it would be fun to have some chickens just to have.

I'd obviously have to build some sort of pen/coup to keep the dogs from ending this experiment. But what sort of bedding is necessary for the hens to lay in?

What are the best temperament chickens to be around children?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

i aint got no need for a rooster.
    and no matter how bad woodie wants this to be another conspiracy to keep people from raising their own laying hens, I will sit here without giving a shit.

i got 6 hens. 4 eggs a day ish.
    i should really look into my pellets.
    or not. because its too damn much trouble to keep up with you weirdos and your conspiracies.

holy shit. its raining. the government must be against logging.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    My wife has been after me sense before the whole egg shortage to get chickens. I absolutely detest eggs. I hate the smell of them. I also have several dogs that think anything that moves is supposed to be hunted down and brought back to show off. Anything from squirrels, coyotes, up to deer. So in my mind it never made much sense to have them "free range"

But I got to thinking after reading this thread maybe it would be fun to have some chickens just to have.

I'd obviously have to build some sort of pen/coup to keep the dogs from ending this experiment. But what sort of bedding is necessary for the hens to lay in?

What are the best temperament chickens to be around children?
    Most hens I've ever had were pretty laid back. It's the roosters that have a temper. If a hen gets broody she will get testy too. We've had buff Orpingtons, road island reds, and others. I enjoyed having them. Their fun to have around. The eggs are a plus. The neighborhood we live in now doesn't allow them, but I'm in the back on a cul de sac so I've been thinking about getting a couple more.

Eggcellent timing!

Massive fire at Connecticut egg farm

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...ibextid=uc01c0
    Last edited by Featherduster; 01-30-2023 at 08:51 AM.
    Tyler Simmons wasn’t offsides. 1-9-2018
    Isaiah Bond didn’t catch the ball. 12-2-2023

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i aint got no need for a rooster.
    and no matter how bad woodie wants this to be another conspiracy to keep people from raising their own laying hens, I will sit here without giving a shit.

i got 6 hens. 4 eggs a day ish.
    i should really look into my pellets.
    or not. because its too damn much trouble to keep up with you weirdos and your conspiracies.

holy shit. its raining. the government must be against logging.
    You are truly an arrogant asshole... and idiot. I'm not the one who started a conspiracy theory about this. Just read JAB's post to start the thread, and the Twitter crap regarding Bill Gates' push for artificial eggs. It doesn't take a friggin' brain surgeon to understand the attack(s) on our farmers via increased costs, fertilizer shortages, chicken and duck deaths (not uncommon, but not necessarily accidental since they almost all seem to start in China...(?).

Anyway, pull your head out of your ass for once, 2th, and try to understand what's really going on in the world... or crawl back under your rock and try to figure out how your choke got stuck when you swear you just had it out last year...
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 01-30-2023 at 01:23 PM.
    ~ George Washington

None so blind as those who will not see
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    You are truly an arrogant asshole... and idiot. I'm not the one who started a conspiracy theory about this. Just read JAB's post to start the thread, and the Twitter crap regarding Bill Gates' push for artificial eggs. It doesn't take a friggin' brain surgeon to understand the attack(s) on our farmers via increased costs, fertilizer shortages, chicken and duck deaths (not uncommon, but not necessarily accidental since they almost all seem to start in China...(?).

Anyway, pull your head out of your ass for once, 2th, and try to understand what's really going on in the world... or crawl back under your rock and try to figure out how your choke got stuck when you swear you just had it out last year...
    my apathy really gets to you, doesnt it?
    I dont even know what brand I feed. Chickens seem alive and eggs show up periodically. I guess I dont spend my time reading articles on shit I dont care about.

How is this arrogance?
    And how does this thread prove some attack on farmers?
    and why did you respond on the NFL thread when you dont even watch the games?
    you make no fucking sense to me

but i love me some everlast.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

My wife wants some chickens but the head of the HOA says no.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I dont even know what brand I feed. Chickens seem alive and eggs show up periodically. I guess I dont spend my time reading articles on shit I dont care about.

How is this arrogance?

Everyone is ova reacting to this egg situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    My wife wants some chickens but the head of the HOA says no.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    She could egg the head of the HOAs house. That’ll learn her.

How is this arrogance?

I make no sense to you because your head rarely sees daylight. Get some O2 occasionally, and knock off on the fluoride.

The NFL thread didn't ask if anyone liked the NFL, it was in regards as to whether their is corruption and betting that may be influencing the outcomes of games. Sharpen up. Hell, you're the one who brought up the challenge of whether the bookies were trying to pick winners, not I. I just made a comment in that regard. Whatcha so touchy about?

If you gave a shit about anyone other than yourself, including guys on here who happen to be farmers, or at least raise a lot of their own crops, et al, you'd have noted numerous threads over the past two years about the challenges they were being faced with... with some of them obviously being intentionally manipulated by some political/elite entities. And it's obviously not just the US, but Canada and Western Europe, at least.

This egg issue, which is, also, not just local, but at least national, and based on some Twitter posts, may well be international, not sure. But, as you say, you don't give a rat's ass about stuff like that... which is your arrogance, not mine. Live with it.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Everyone is ova reacting to this egg situation.
    I'm glad we can always count on you to crack a good yolk!