Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Hunting across property lines- thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Can they not hunt a road if they have both sides?

I don’t know, which is why I am asking.
    You can’t shoot ACROSS a public road.

Quote Originally Posted by wskinner View Post
    You can’t shoot ACROSS a public road.
    Oh oh I misread.

Yeah that’s not safe…
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I was asking county to find out which GameWarden you should call..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by PBiz View Post
    I was asking county to find out which GameWarden you should call..
    Got it. I didn't know if law varied by county.

To answer your other question on the shared border. It would be one side but the reality is most of it isn't really huntable for them to dog hunt.

I think BB and CD gave you your answer. Most landowners don’t really need the money they get from a lease. It’s nice but not needed. When they start getting hassled with the threat of lawsuits they will eventually cut ties. Buddy of mine had this same problem. It took a couple of years but the landowners got sick of dealing with it and pulled the leases. I would also inform the Gamewarden just to have a paper trail of your problems. Nothing worse than someone who has no respect for someone’s property lines.

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Oh oh I misread.

Yeah that’s not safe…
    sure it is. you just gotta time your shot if someone drives down the road.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Which club is it? Put it out in the open. We had a shitty landlord with even shittier tenants down the road, we found a way for the county to go after the landlord, that cleaned things up very quick.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    I can guarantee they will not fence in the acreage. Also, it would leave the other landowners without a solution who are also not happy.

Burning the camp down compared to be shot is the lesser of the two..
    I wasn’t expecting it to be an acceptable solution to them. I just figure that an offer like it, from you and your neighbors, puts you on the high road before legal maneuvers with the clear choice of options being their decision.

Personally, having never having to mess with this kind of problem, I’d live to see you and your neighbors clean their clocks.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Dog club next to the property I hunt was of the "My dogs can't read no trespassing signs Bo" variety. Took a few years of complaining to their lease holder, threats to sue, paper work documenting complaints to the game warden and a bunch of phone calls to the owner but they finally lost their lease and are no longer a problem. In fact we picked up their lease so now we have twice as much property to hunt
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Had a problem a few years ago with some renegades, turning their dogs loose on 50 acres then hunting the roads all around the community, trespassing, shooting from a public road, dogs running through back yards full of kids, etc.

Every time they showed up we called the game warden and collected as much evidence as we could. I felt like a Karen, but I'd pull up right behind them on the shoulder of the road with a cell phone recording them loading firearms within the public R/W, or jumping ditches on to private property with a gun. The lesson we learned is that without hard evidence you'll get nowhere, cause by the time the game warden got there they were unloaded and "just catching our dogs".

Like many others here I respect the sport of running dogs by responsible clubs, and certainly don't want to see it end. But the few who don't respect the law will eventually get it shut down for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Which club is it? Put it out in the open. We had a shitty landlord with even shittier tenants down the road, we found a way for the county to go after the landlord, that cleaned things up very quick.
    I would prefer not to have this on a public forum yet. I am going to talk to the landowner. The purpose of my post was to get responses and formulate an appropriate response. I am not one to make quick decisions and always think it is best to get multiple opinions even if they do not align with mine.

It is to the point though that there is only one solution.

I spoke to DNR. They said it is legal to shoot across the road if you own or have hunting rights to both sides. Obviously the shooter would be responsible for any injuries.

Does anyone know otherwise?

I would prefer not to have this on a public forum yet. I am going to talk to the landowner. The purpose of my post was to get responses and formulate an appropriate response. I am not one to make quick decisions and always think it is best to get multiple opinions even if they do not align with mine.

It is to the point though that there is only one solution.
    I hunted in a club in Allendale for a few years that ran dogs. They leased from IP at the time. There were a couple of blocks that had houses that were in/around the blocks and one land owner who had 5-7 acres that knifed into this one particular tract. Every time that block was hunted he called DNR and complained. No dogs on his place. He just complained. DNR gave him a rope and an detailed explanation on how to hang it so he could urinate vertically upon said rope. So his next phone call was to IP.

IP told the club no more dogs on that tract or get your lease pulled. The complainers intent was to get the lease pulled so he could lease it. The club kept it but were not allowed to run dogs on that tract anymore.

I say all that to say this. DNR won't help because they really can't. However contacting the landowner will prove, or should prove, effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I hunted in a club in Allendale for a few years that ran dogs. They leased from IP at the time. There were a couple of blocks that had houses that were in/around the blocks and one land owner who had 5-7 acres that knifed into this one particular tract. Every time that block was hunted he called DNR and complained. No dogs on his place. He just complained. DNR gave him a rope and an detailed explanation on how to hang it so he could urinate vertically upon said rope. So his next phone call was to IP.

IP told the club no more dogs on that tract or get your lease pulled. The complainers intent was to get the lease pulled so he could lease it. The club kept it but were not allowed to run dogs on that tract anymore.

I say all that to say this. DNR won't help because they really can't. However contacting the landowner will prove, or should prove, effective.
    Agree on contacting landowner.

As for DNR, I am just wanting to know what the law says about shooting across roads (paved county). I am not looking for them to pursue it if it is not in their wheelhouse, but I would like to know if it is legal or not.

Have your lawyer contact the landowner so he knows you mean business.
    DILLIGAF

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Agree on contacting landowner.

As for DNR, I am just wanting to know what the law says about shooting across roads (paved county). I am not looking for them to pursue it if it is not in their wheelhouse, but I would like to know if it is legal or not.
    https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t50c011.php start reading at Section 50-11-760. This document and the game warden for the area you are hunting are the two resources you need to rely on most heavily.

The most honorable dog hunter I've ever known told me once if you don't have 5k acres you really shouldn't hunt dogs.

I can keep all 12 of my dogs in 150 acres with GPS collars..

You can shoot across a paved/public road..

Whether it’s 5 or 15,000, shitty hunters gonna be shitty..

I would definitely enclose my property with 40” Hogwire..

The amount of deer that pitch over the fence, run 50yds and squat would blow your mind..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

I spoke to DNR. They said it is legal to shoot across the road if you own or have hunting rights to both sides. Obviously the shooter would be responsible for any injuries.

Does anyone know otherwise?
    I thought this was the case…
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

I thought for sure it was illegal. Wrong again. That makes twice this year.