Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dog Hunting across property lines- thoughts?

How much of a border do y’all share?

Call a Game Warden…

What county?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    It is not all continuous. I would say 3,000 -4,000 in total. Probably blocks of 400-1200.
    with that kind of acreage there's no excuse for their dogs to be getting of their property this consistently. no other way to say it, they don't respect you as a neighbor and you not being able to be there regularly only emboldens them.

make good connections with the local dnr agents, then try to hammer their ass when the dogs get off the property and they trespass to come get them. if they get ticketed enough it will at least make them think twice about controlling their dogs.
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Buy a couple of goats and rope them up in the back yard.

Protect your livestock.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Gloves off time. You've been nice.

Straight up write to the landowner, send a copy to your attorney. Tell them if they are unable to control the people he leases to that you will seek damages from the landowner. List all the times and dates infractions have occurred in detail. Explain your efforts to be reasonable. Put up a cellular camera. Keep a log every time you see one of their dogs.

That lease will get pulled so fast...then you can step in and lease it yourself.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

What county are you in?

there are laws to help combat this situation.
    Use them.

and listen to the fellas on here like CL and the Pbiz. they can help. they do it right.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Gloves off time. You've been nice.

Straight up write to the landowner, send a copy to your attorney. Tell them if they are unable to control the people he leases to that you will seek damages from the landowner. List all the times and dates infractions have occurred in detail. Explain your efforts to be reasonable. Put up a cellular camera. Keep a log every time you see one of their dogs.

That lease will get pulled so fast...then you can step in and lease it yourself.
    Take it straight to your attorney and let him write the letter.

There are no laws to really protect the landowner, but there is a civil litigation path. That path has already been to the Supreme Court. That's the only way.

Cussing, calling law enforcement, talking with them is not a solution.

The landowner building a fence will solve it, but why should he be burdened with the cost?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Wouldn’t a lawsuit allow the judge to subpoena their historical GPS data? That would be pretty damning
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Bamberg county. Does the county really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Wouldn’t a lawsuit allow the judge to subpoena their historical GPS data? That would be pretty damning
    I wonder how long that history is stored ??.
    That is a good talking point if landowner and dog hunters have a talk. The landowner can call his bluff.

That would be an incredible undertaking from a cost and labor standpoint. Also, I am to the point I am not going to bend for someone abusing my private property rights. I am pretty reasonable but it has hit the breaking point.
    Just a thought to offer as a possible settlement to avoid all sorts of legal maneuvers, especially since those club members appear to be the type who just might think about doing your property some serious damage when you’re not there. That is, offer to let them play their games if they pay to fence in your 50 acres… or at least a large enough area around the house(?) so that your dogs and family can be safe (from the dogs and gun shots).

Either way, good luck.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Just a thought to offer as a possible settlement to avoid all sorts of legal maneuvers, especially since those club members appear to be the type who just might think about doing your property some serious damage when you’re not there. That is, offer to let them play their games if they pay to fence in your 50 acres… or at least a large enough area around the house(?) so that your dogs and family can be safe (from the dogs and gun shots).

Either way, good luck.
    I can guarantee they will not fence in the acreage. Also, it would leave the other landowners without a solution who are also not happy.

Burning the camp down compared to be shot is the lesser of the two..

Bamberg county. Does the county really matter?
    No it doesn’t was just wondering

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Mine is cleared after every drive not sure how long my handheld saves memory.

Also out of curiosity are you allowed to shoot across paved county roads in sc?

Also out of curiosity are you allowed to shoot across paved county roads in sc?
    NO!

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    NO!
    Well they do that as well.

I bet one of the dog drive club members has a YouTube page and posts videos of said dog hunts. Social media is a heck of a tool in terms of litigation evidence.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

You should get the game warden involved and have him put it on the long list of dog hunting complaints he deals with. He can also give you the specifics about shooting from roads etc.

I’ve unfortunately learned more about dealing with this mess than I ever wanted to. If a charge can be made under the renegade hunter act it carries a mandatory $500 fine and 1 year loss of hunting license. The parameters are very tight to make a charge stick though, and most renegades are creative in working around that specific charge.

The game warden cant do anything with the dogs, and he can’t charge the owner unless the owner is on your property or has a loaded gun in the vehicle. Forget taking the dogs to the pound. The pounds and every other animal shelter are so overrun with dogs, they require a fee to surrender an animal now, and just dumping them at the door gets you in trouble there too. I spent 2 days on the phone to find a place to take the last two nasty mongrels I caught. I learned my lesson on catching dogs after that.

Catdaddy gave you the most direct way to end it. Get your lawyer involved and sue the landowner who allows them to hunt for loss of use of your property. There is legal precedent in SC. Of course that can get expensive quick if you’re up against a landowner who is willing to go the distance with you in court. Maybe that’s where your neighbors can help.

Forget the legislature doing anything anytime soon. Been down that road and it’s too contentious.

It is insanely frustrating. I don’t want to see any form of hunting go away, but daggum keep that shit on your side of the line or don’t do it. If they worked as hard at being effective hunters as they do at being renegades, they could wipe out the entire herd in a month.

Can they not hunt a road if they have both sides?

I don’t know, which is why I am asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson