Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a rifle change...

Default Thinking about a rifle change...

I've been shooting a Rem Model 7 in 7mm-08 for probably 12+ years with fine success with deer hunting.

I hadn't really thought much about changing other than the accuracy of this stainless 20" barrel isn't quite what I'd like it to be to be able to comfortably stretch out a shot to over 300 yds. My primary stand gives me a clear shot out to 500 yds, but I would never take it unless I was positive my rifle and the conditions would put the bullet in the X ring.

I just came across this option...

https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M18...e-M18065C.aspx

While I'm not really interested in jumping on the 6.5 Creedmoor bandwagon, it's basically on par with the 7-08 so it's probably what I'd choose. I also think these Mausers should be more accurate than the M7 is noted for, but I guess that would remain to be seen.

Talk me out of it!

FLS... if you read this post, check your PM's! I sent you one awhile back.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 08-06-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Do it!
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

IIRC, that Mauser has a heat welded barrel, not threaded. Also, it is much more simplified bolt, nothing like the 98. It’s also a push feed, not CRF. The reviews I read were somewhere around 1 MOA at 100. The prices are attractive, like the Sauer 100 but I’m not sold on a rifle I couldn’t upgrade or get rid of if it didn’t shoot. You might get a heck of a gun, you might get a POS.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Why not rebarrel the current rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    IIRC, that Mauser has a heat welded barrel, not threaded. Also, it is much more simplified bolt, nothing like the 98. It’s also a push feed, not CRF. The reviews I read were somewhere around 1 MOA at 100. The prices are attractive, like the Sauer 100 but I’m not sold on a rifle I couldn’t upgrade or get rid of if it didn’t shoot. You might get a heck of a gun, you might get a POS.
    I really appreciate the detailed insight here, Salty. Thanks.

I'll be back to reply on this question.
    ~ George Washington

I got a 95% .280 you can get for less than the Mauser.

I’m sure the accuracy is decent but that rifle is Mauser trying to compete in the low-end gun market.

I’d lean more toward a Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Or a bergara

Bergara= tikka without the shitty action

I hadn't really considered that since it would involve putting out $'s to do the job well vs selling this M7 and buying another gun for the same or a little more that would be more accurate.

As much as I'd love to have a custom, tack-driving, longer-range rifle, I should have done that years ago when I'd get a "lifetime of use" from it. Now it would just be an unnecessary expense for the one(?) deer per year that I put in the freezer. If I was shooting more like I did a few years back it would be a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    I’m sure the accuracy is decent but that rifle is Mauser trying to compete in the low-end gun market.

A Tikka has always been my backup plan since I've got two of them now that have real smooth actions. The .243 has given me a 1.13" group at 200 yds, so they are definitely acceptable in the accuracy arena for hunting. If I were to trip across the right deal I might do that.

The one thing I don't like about a Tikka is the crappy safety. I wish they'd put a higher quality one in there. What they have works, but it's pretty rudimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by TennDan View Post
    Or a bergara
    I've read about the Bergaras, but had also seen comments regarding their 'less than expected' accuracy. I have no idea how accurate that opinion is since I don't personally know anyone who shoots one. Hopefully that info is a few years old and outdated.
    ~ George Washington

What optics you got on that riffle?

I love my Tikka Superlite in .270
    Holes touching holes at 100 yards

I'm about to change to from a Swarovski 3-10x42 with a Duplex reticle to a Swarovski 4-12x50 with a BRH reticle.

I was going to do that soon when I installed the new Timney trigger. This new trigger may well make the improvement I'm looking for in accuracy since I found that my pull gauge was off by almost 2 1/2 lbs. I am first going to adjust the current Remington trigger down to 2 1/2 lbs, then check the groups, and unless I'm really impressed with the groups, install the Timney and retest.

The biggest impediment to checking the accuracy of any rifle anymore is that my wife's Golden male has thunderphobia and shooting near the house creates all sorts of conniptions, unlike with my previous hunting Goldens.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I love my Tikka Superlite in .270
    Holes touching holes at 100 yards
    That's what I'd love to see again, although I don't really want to change to a .270 since my ammo supply is all 7-08.
    ~ George Washington

I have a Sako 85 Finnlight in 7-08. Get one of those. Great rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    That's what I'd love to see again, although I don't really want to change to a .270 since my ammo supply is all 7-08.
    I have two of them, one in .270 and the other in 7mm-08
    I tend to carry the .270. just because its been my caliber since I left 30-06 many years ago
    and I have seen it do work up close and far out.
    It's sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    No doubt, the Sako 85 is one fine rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I have two of them, one in .270 and the other in 7mm-08
    I tend to carry the .270. just because its been my caliber since I left 30-06 many years ago
    and I have seen it do work up close and far out.
    It's sweet
    The .270 is a fine cartridge. I sold mine, though, and went to the 7mm-08 to split the difference between the .243 and the 30-06.
    ~ George Washington

If you're wanting to shoot longer ranges at deer, the first step is picking a bullet that delivers adequate energy for the game you are chasing at the distance you want to shoot. My threshold is an arbitrary 1000 ft/lbs. minimum for deer. The ability to maintain that energy through flight is measure in units called ballistic coefficient. That is a measure of how slick it is in air, how well it slips through the air. In a nutshell, bullets that have an optimized, streamlined shape and that are long compared to their diameter (called high sectional density) are most likely to slip through the air well. These bullets are referred to as "heavy for caliber". 6mm Creedmore cartridges efficiently deliver high BC bullets and that is why they are favored by long range shooters. There are other high BC bullets in fatter calibers but the tradeoff on recoil and cost make them not as desirable to most shooters.

The ability to deliver a bullet's kinetic energy in a thin skinned animal like a SC deer is where bullet construction comes in. A very well-flying bullet is of little use if it blows through a deer with little energy transfer. Bullet jacket construction is a science in itself and is what controls the energy transfer. Any bullet has a discrete range of velocities in which it will perform well. Too fast and it evaporates and doesn't give an exit wound, too slow and it doesn't open up and leaves a caliber-sized hole for an exit. Once you find a bullet that operates in your desired range, then you pick the cartridge that will handle it. Then you pick the rifle that will shoot that cartridge accurately. Then you tweak your rifle and load and adjust and practice, practice, practice.

Pick your cartridge before you decide on the rifle. Your Model 7 could be tuned to do what you want, plus it's a damn convenient sized rifle for tree stand hunting or long, mountainous hikes.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 08-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geetch View Post
    Got one in .300wm, I finally found my load for it and had to check it 3X before I believed it. Wish they’d get the 6.5 out or better yet chamber it in 6.5 PRC or 6.5X47 Lapua. They have the Finnlight II but I can’t see the $700 difference in the two rifles. I’ve got a 75 Hunter in 7mm08 that’s a tack driver too.