Thread: help with rifle scopes

I would like to hear some opinions on what is the best rifle scope? which gathers light better? which is the best deal for the money? ETC.

I've got a Khales and a Leupold Vari-X III. I've got a couple of others that are lying around, but I don't count those.

The Khales is a very good scope and is head and shoulders above the Leupold. Cost 2x's as much too. Depending on what you are willing to spend, either would be a good choice. Khales actually took a nasty fall the second month I had it, I slippe dion some pinestraw goint upa hill and the gun ( no round chambered) fell off of my should and the scope hit a rock. It dented the dust cap over the windage adjusment screw, but it di not knock it "out of zero".

I've also got some Nikon binocs ( 8x50 marine )that I have done side by side comparisons with Swavroskis. They seemed to do better in low light but are heavier. My opinion.

Good luck.

JP
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Originally posted by justpracticin:
    I've also got some Nikon binocs ( 8x50 marine )that I have done side by side comparisons with Swavroskis.
    I bet some 8x56 Swarovskis will make you change your mind about the Nikons.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Thanks for your help. I am thinking about a Kahles. Is there any difference between Kahles and Swarvoski? I have heard they use the same optiks, but have not heard if there is a difference in a real life situation (other than price). What do you think?

No diff that I can see... I have several 3-12x56 in both manufacturers and do not see the difference.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Volumes have been written on this...

Personally, I have always had good success with Leupold scopes - good for the money. Granted, some of the high-end European glass will likely give better low-light performance, but, when I look at the difference in cost, I can't help but wonder if the "juice is worth the squeeze" on that.

Interestingly, some in my local circle of friends have had mechanical failures with Kahles, Leupold, and Schmidt & Bender scopes in the past year... just goes to show ya that you can have a problem with ANYTHING.

Another good (or great) deal on a rugged and bright scope is to look at the Weaver Grand Slam series.

Yet more scopes that I have heard good things about include: </font>
    • Burris (USA made)</font>
    • Docter (German)</font>
    • IOR Valdada (Romanian)</font>

Each has it's own group of faithful followers - some of my old comrades at SLED were big into the Valdada scopes, with the general impression being that they were strong "like Russian farm machinery", a bit heavy, but very rugged and surprisingly bright. Some on my hunt club are big into the Docter scope line. It's all a matter of fine degrees.

There are so many factors that go into determining scope performance - construction materials, lens coatings, glass quality, etc. - But you never know until that particular scope is on your particular gun as to what you are getting into.

I have a 3½-10x50mm Leupold that is giving me problems - it is about to go back to Leupold to be re-built, then I will send it to Premier Reticles to get a mil-dot reticle put in it.

The Bausch & Lomb series of scope get okay reviews.

The list of brands I avoid like the Bubonic plague is a bit lengthy... and includes Tasco, Simmons, Bushnell, BSA, and any mass distributor "name brand" scope (Cabelas,etc.).
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Kahles is owned by Swarovski.

As Kenny Jarrett says,Swarovski is the best but for the money,Leupold has no equal.