Thread: HeviShot Reloaders?

Default HeviShot Reloaders?

Got a few questions for y'all. I'm looking to get started before too long. I have my MEC Sizemaster just about ready to go, but need to order components. I've read Ballistics Products HeviShot reloading book. Just wanted to see what some other folks use in their recipes.

What's the best site you've found to buy the bulk shot?

Do you buy your wads presilt, or cut em yourself?

I have some once-fired HS hulls. Obviously the recipes tell you don't deviate. Is it really that big of a deal to use the specific hull it calls out? Probably a dumb question I know, but I hate to throw these hulls away because I can't find a recipe for em, but I will without hesitation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Specific hulls are specified because there are different hull designs. You can use different hulls, but you'd best know their construction and that they are the same.

Use the RSI recipies they are a lot simpler than BP's. You can get them from Bucks Run. If you want a good load in a 2 3/4" hull (12 ga) use a Fereal Gold Medal hull, Alliant steel powder (36 grains), Winchester 209 primer, and a SAM 1 wad (preslit) with your choice of Hevi shot size. This is a 1 1/4 oz load and is all you will ever need for ducks or geese. I like the #7.5's for ducks and to be legal for geese (in SC) #2's. Buy you a good scale and weigh your shot charge and powder charge. basically the only thing you will use the press for is sizing, priming, and crimping the hull.
    Reloaders love a good piece of brass<br />Not only did Samuel colt make all men equal.....He also made it easier for me to sleep well at <br />night

Slit your own wads. Also, don't overlook using a mylar wrapper between the shot and the wad (wrap a rectangular piece of mylar around your finger and place inside the shot cup prior to filling with shot). This adds significant barrel protection. Like my friend Pete says, "Always keep it wrapped!".

Also, don't overlook RSI as a component source.

Find the powder you want to use and then get the recipe fromthem. I use Clays powder with 2 3/4 estate hulls, federal primers with 1oz #6 HS. I can not remember the wad or the powder drop but will look when I get home. Recipe came off the Clays web site. Last time I shoped around BP had the best prices.

Thanks for the info guys. I have more than a few items I need to order and a scale is on that list.

My fave load is the 1 3/8oz of HS #6's. But for sake of getting more shells out of a 7# bag, I was looking at going with the 1 1/4oz loads in a 3" hull.

I have a pound each of Alliant e3 for my dove loads, and Steel for the HS loads. I've seen a lot of HS recipes that call for Blue Dot as well. I have the MEC conversion charts and need to pick up a few bushings to drop the correct amount of powder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

I'll look at RSI's recipes and definitely be utilizing the mylar wraps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I have more than a few items I need to order and a scale is on that list.

My fave load is the 1 3/8oz of HS #6's. But for sake of getting more shells out of a 7# bag, I was looking at going with the 1 1/4oz loads in a 3" hull.

I have a pound each of Alliant e3 for my dove loads, and Steel for the HS loads. I've seen a lot of HS recipes that call for Blue Dot as well. I have the MEC conversion charts and need to pick up a few bushings to drop the correct amount of powder.
    Don't do it.....weigh the powder AND the shot for each round.

lots of good advice above. the HS hulls are cheddite hulls and can be used with cheddite data. Don't swap out hulls, they DO NOT cross over due to different internal volumes resulting in different pressures. RSI is a good source and makes a great wad. pre split or split your own in fine. people get bent outta shape because RSI wads aren't split nice and pretty but it doesn't effect the patterns. I have done a good bit of testing with RSI data both steel and heavi. Alliant steel does not meter well thru bushing and MUST me weighed. shot can either be weighed or counted. To count it you can use empty small pistol primer trays. Counting works well with large shot. For small stuff like #6s a scale is the way to go
    Last edited by Griffin; 11-26-2011 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Don't do it.....weigh the powder AND the shot for each round.
    Oh absolutely! But at least the chart can put me in the ballpark for the Alliant powders. The guys at the gun club here on base trade these bushings like baseball cards. They have pretty much any that I need for just a few bucks. If I drop powder, weigh it and it's not right, I can just trade for the one that drops the charge I need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]