Thread: Mule Control

Well folks after 7 years without shooting one with a gun, I finally broke down and shot one Tuesday evening. I haven't even shot one with a bow in two years. I can't post a pic yet but I will email them to Nutz and hopefully he will post a picture for me.

17 inches
    217 lbs
    8 pt.- with 8 inch G1's and G2's (not the rack I would think a this deer should have had).

Here's the story:

I went to watch the doves in my dove field and carried my rifle. As dark approached I had seen 6 does slip out into the dove field to eat the standing corn. I was getting ready to get down when I scanned the right woodline(80 yds) and saw a big bodied deer with his head down. When he raised his head I saw antlers(dark horns) outside his ears and at that moment a second buck stepped out with light colored antlers. The 2nd buck had tall tines and also had a big rack. The first buck turned on him and he ran around to get away.....approx 20 yds. I studied both bucks and decided to take the first one since he seemed dominant and about 20 lbs heavier. I shot the 1st buck and when the fire cleared there was only one buck standing...the second buck. I put the gun down and watched with my binoculars for at least 10 minutes until the buck left. He may have scored hgher than the first buck.
    After he left,I went to the truck and came back to get the deer......NO DEER.........No Blood, I looked for 1 1/2 hours and gave up. I went back today with my dad and a friend to shoot doves.......and my buddy and I found him (strip searching) about 90 yds in a briar thicket. I hate loosing one but we brought him out , weighed him ,and cut out his antlers.
    I'm a rubberhead rifle hunter and would have thought I could have found blood with a 30-06 at 80 yds. I hit him in the lower chest and there should have been a good blood trail.

He's definetly not in the league with Sushi's buck but I decided to cull him anyway.

Nice Buck ,awesome weight. It does not matter how long you hunt or what you shoot, sooner or later you are going to lose one.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Sounds like a nice buck Catdaddy! Glad ya'll found it.

Wish I could but doing so exceeds my technical capabilities. Should I swing by and give you some rifle marksmanship lessons???????
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Congrats [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    More fuel = more boost!!

I hear ya C-diddy. That sucks about not finding it though. If you killed it beside us, you should have given me a call. I enjoy tracking deer and helping people with that.
    [img]graemlins/hunt.gif[/img]

Maybe a red X but here it is.

I just had him green scored:

gross- 130.50
    net 128 3/8

That's a beautiful deer...mossy too.

Damn Cat, very nice deer! Looks like the shot was on the money, can't believe you couldn't find him. Maybe you need to give me some marksmanship lessons.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Whoooeeeeee... A VERY NICE one!!! Congrats.

This is what you get when you don't shoot the 15-16" bucks.

VERY NICE!!!
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

DuCabin is offline The KING of no original thoughts!

[img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img] Way to go Catdaddy! Great looking deer! That's a trophy for anywhere here in the big old SC...
    \"If you\'re not living life to the fullest just go ahead and die or get with living it to the fullest, now!!!!!\" <br />\"The only thing necessary for the triump of evil is for good men to do NOTHING.\" Edmund Burke

Congrats C-diddy!!!!! That is a niceun!!!!!
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Nice deer Cat!! Did you find him the day after?

Very nice deer. You shot him right where I would have with an arrow. [img]graemlins/thumb2.gif[/img]
    If you don't know me how could I offend you?

If you are not a member of Delta or DU then you are living on duck welfare.

Great Day! Congrats, Catdaddy!
    At least I'm housebroken.

beautiful deer

Nice deer . I can't believe there wasn't a blood trail.At least you found him.