Thread: Cull or not?

I sat over a cornpile yesterday evening at a club in the lowcountry. Got in the stand at 5:30. At 5:50 and button came out, ate a bit and left. Next a little spike/cowhorn came out and ate a bit and left. Then a bigger deer with half a rack stepped out. On his good side, he had four typical points with a spread about even with his ear, maybe a little better. The other side was completely missing and, through the scope, the spot on his head looked pretty ragged. I guessed his age at probably two or three years old; not sway back, no Roman nose, not huge looking although the neck was swollen. Other than the missing antler, he was in pretty good shape.

Was he a cull?

Tommy

Let him walk. He may be a nice ten next year. You won't ever know if you shoot him.

Sounds like Sasha seen him first & is saving him for next year. Probably hurt it / broke it early.Wait and see next year.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

LMAO at HARV!!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Poor ol Sushi can't catch a break...
    I would imagine it was broke off. Is that the way it looked to you??? Ifin that is the case let him be...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!

Sasha strikes again... [img]graemlins/Laser.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/deer.gif[/img]
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Originally posted by HARV:
    Sounds like Sasha seen him first & is saving him for next year.
    You beat me to it Harv!

When I looked sat him through the scope, the spot on his head looked pretty ragged and bigger around than the base should have been. I thought it looked a bit infected or malformed. As it turns out, the antler was broken off right at the base. The antler stub looked rough, dark brown and not really like what a broken antler normally looks like. I did shoot him as a cull only to question my decision immediately. Later, I passed on a nice eight point and a medium sized doe with fawn that came out at dusk and tried to figure out why this other deer was sleeping in the cornpile. I saw a total of four bucks and two or three does for the evening.

The yearling deer were all absolutely boney with ribs showing. I think this land is so overpopulated that they need to have a major population reduction.

Well PB, since you shot him Id have to say yes, he is a cull buck! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Congrats on the kill!
    Good Dogs- $600.00 <br />Dog Box- $350.00 <br />Old Truck- $4,000.00 <br />Hearing a pack of hounds chase Mr. Whitetail in the SC swamps - PRICELESS!!!<br /><br />I came out here to enjoy nature, dont talk to me about the environment

Threw me for a loop on that one too... HAHA...
    PBug if you need help with ALL them deers, have gun, will travel... I hate to see someone overrun with them goats....
    I guess you ground checked that one...
    ----------------------------------<br />I\'m getting worser!!!