Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mathews Bow for2012

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    No, but I don't feel the need to get the new Taylor made r 11 right when it comes out for $600. Just for the record, I shoot an Alphamax 35, and will for a while. Matthews philosophy of shorter/faster doesn't match my preferences as a smooth/quiet guy. When I cut that Hoyt loose, it feels like two marshmallows having sensual sex.

I was just commenting on their reason for marketing like they do. People have deer hunting on the brain right now.
    Umm...Mathews are not speed bows. I'll give you shorter, but speed is not their ultimate concern. Hoyt and Mathews both achieve smooth/quiet....they just go about it in different ways, neither being better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by artdevilish View Post
    They are some marketing dudes, thats for sure. So...my "Taylor made burner bubble II" isn't UP TO DATE?

That's pretty damn funny right there...

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Umm...Mathews are not speed bows. I'll give you shorter, but speed is not their ultimate concern. Hoyt and Mathews both achieve smooth/quiet....they just go about it in different ways, neither being better than the other.
    Their cams have traditionally been more aggressive than Hoyt's, on average. I know every manufacturer has their "speed" line, and then their compromise. I shoot a ton of different bows, as my dad sells them. I can say, without question, that Matthews is more willing to give up a smooth draw for speed than other companies. I definitely don't consider the new matthews a pure speed bow, and I am sure it is smooth, but they do sacrifice more in the name of speed than Hoyt does.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

My S2 is down until next week. I shot both the Z7 Extreme and the Heli M today. The Z7 Extreme suited me better. I thought it had a better back wall.

My dealer was nice enough to give me a loaner for a few days(Switchback LD). It shoots sweet too. I tried it out this pm.

i shot the heli-m today as well. sweet rig. super light. really smooth draw. a little bit more hand shock than the Z-7 but still really smooth. Its basically a Z7 with bigger cutouts in the riser, a slimmed down carbon roller gaurd bar and a different cam that gives it a smoother draw. the bow i shot was 55 lbs and i swore it wasnt more than 45.
    \"Go to Know\"

Their cams have traditionally been more aggressive than Hoyt's, on average. I know every manufacturer has their "speed" line, and then their compromise. I shoot a ton of different bows, as my dad sells them. I can say, without question, that Matthews is more willing to give up a smooth draw for speed than other companies. I definitely don't consider the new matthews a pure speed bow, and I am sure it is smooth, but they do sacrifice more in the name of speed than Hoyt does.
    Fair enough, we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me, the Mathews are smoother than a hoyt on the draw, but I've only shot a few Hoyts. Then again, I've only shot a handful of Mathews enough times to form an opinion. To each his own I suppose.

Shot the Heli M yesterday and it was a mistake...damn I want one. Great bow, smooth draw, and no where near as heavy as the Z7.

Quote Originally Posted by reezen44 View Post
    Shot the Heli M yesterday and it was a mistake...damn I want one. Great bow, smooth draw, and no where near as heavy as the Z7.
    You just have to wait 8 weeks for delivery that is the only bad thing about it.

Not a fan at all of the helim. Roller guard and string stop look cheap. Bow draws super smooth but has alot of handshock at shot; and yes it was fully rigged with stab and drop away. A naked z7 felt better at shot. Ill keep my tactical another year or 5...I love that bow!

I didn't feel that way at all but I'm not a fan of the z7! Different strokes for different folks I guess. I love the heli m, think its a great cross between the dxt and z7

I finally got a chance to handle the Heli M today at Simpsons in Sumter. It was not in my draw length, but it's all the old man had at the time. First, it is crazy light. It almost feels like a toy in your hands. It does draw pretty smoothly, but it felt like it wanted to go when I was at full draw. I'm not sure what the let off is, but you better not relax. When I did cut it loose, it was just like the z7 and z7 extreme. Very little vibration, but they all feel like they are trying to jump out of my hand a little. I do shoot a 62 lb bow and this was 70, so that accounts for some of it.
    Overall, it's not my preference, but you Matthews boys will love it. All of these top end bows are splitting hairs, and it comes down to personal preference. In the interest of full disclosure, it kinda pisses me off that I am a 30.5" and Matty cuts most of theirs off at 30". I'm not sure what the going rate is, but Simpsons has em for $760.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

Mathews spends most of their R/D money on trying to find a place to stick an extra sound dampner.

I finally got a chance to handle the Heli M today at Simpsons in Sumter. It was not in my draw length, but it's all the old man had at the time. First, it is crazy light. It almost feels like a toy in your hands. It does draw pretty smoothly, but it felt like it wanted to go when I was at full draw. I'm not sure what the let off is, but you better not relax. When I did cut it loose, it was just like the z7 and z7 extreme. Very little vibration, but they all feel like they are trying to jump out of my hand a little. I do shoot a 62 lb bow and this was 70, so that accounts for some of it.
    Overall, it's not my preference, but you Matthews boys will love it. All of these top end bows are splitting hairs, and it comes down to personal preference. In the interest of full disclosure, it kinda pisses me off that I am a 30.5" and Matty cuts most of theirs off at 30". I'm not sure what the going rate is, but Simpsons has em for $760.

Shoot the Z9 and you will love it. I think it goes up to 32 in draw and has a 8" brace.

I finally got a chance to handle the Heli M today at Simpsons in Sumter. It was not in my draw length, but it's all the old man had at the time. First, it is crazy light. It almost feels like a toy in your hands. It does draw pretty smoothly, but it felt like it wanted to go when I was at full draw. I'm not sure what the let off is, but you better not relax.

I shot one twice last week and experiencedd the same thing. The Z7s are better,imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Mathews spends most of their R/D money on trying to find a place to stick an extra sound dampner.
    And they do a good job, they are very quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerredlabel View Post
    Shoot the Z9 and you will love it. I think it goes up to 32 in draw and has a 8" brace.
    My dad shoots the Z9 as he is afflicted with the same monkey arms that I have. I have shot it and it was OK. Didn't make me want one.

Still seem to do fine with a 60lb Mathews Outback here... I see no reason to really upgrade... Quiet, smooth, accurate.

If I bought another compound bow it would be a Q2 maybe.

I am opposite of faster-shorter-lighter.

30" draw. 7.5" brace.