Thread: Looking for a vest

Default Looking for a vest

Need suggestions on a good down vest to wear up under jackets or waders. I don't want it to be too bulky and I'd rather not have to spend a fortune but I will pay for quality. Thanks.

Filson Mackinaw weight wool vest... less volume and warm if it gets wet.
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Have you thought about a loose nap fleece shirt or light zip up jacket? I bought a jacket and pants set when I was in Victoria, British Columbia several years ago and that's all I've used ever since. I put on a set of Patagonia thermal long underwear, then the layer of fleece on top and bottom, and finally whatever my outer wear would be. I was able to hunt in temps down into the single digits comfortably in Alaska and often times had to shed the top layer when walking to the blinds from the boat as to not overheat. Admittedly I've never worn a vest as layering.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I do like my Mccallister down vest. Macks had them on sale for a while might still be.

L.L. Bean...one of the few things they still make well...

Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    Filson Mackinaw weight wool vest... less volume and warm if it gets wet.
    You will not be dissapointed with this. Or anything filson makes for that matter
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Filson or Mccallister. Both make dern good stuff