Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upstaters/Rock Hill/York Chester/Cherokee Area

Yeap it is at 6pm.

A little more info has been deliveried to me by a unnamed source. THe deal is that there is a guy on the lake that has complianed to one of our local representivies about the duck hunting near his house. It is legal to hunt where he lives, but he is not happy with it and wants it stopped. The Local Repres from Cola are hosting the meeting not DNR. THe lake falls on 2 different districts and both repres are going to be at the meeting. Hopefully we(the hunters) will show with enough support to at least keep the hunting where it is on the lake, and not lose it all together. THe Bonus would be the the repres for Cola were to allow more of the lake to be hunted, which I have been told could be a possiablity.
    Phillipians 4:13

can i sleep on your couch? lol
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Hunting should be stopped on lake Wylie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Hunting should be stopped on lake Wylie.
    And your explanation would be...

Its because he is in NC and don't want us shooting his birds so our side can be a refuge for them. Am I right dook or you got something eles?

I don't feel hunting should be stopped anywhere. Kind of like your smoking ban. If you don't want to get woke up by gun fire don't live on a lake or in the country. It is a slippery slop once they start taking stuff and I don't feel like sliding on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dukhuntr View Post
    Its because he is in NC and don't want us shooting his birds so our side can be a refuge for them. Am I right dook or you got something eles?

I don't feel hunting should be stopped anywhere. Kind of like your smoking ban. If you don't want to get woke up by gun fire don't live on a lake or in the country. It is a slippery slop once they start taking stuff and I don't feel like sliding on this issue.
    This is why I'll be at the meeting with y'all

bump

Duck hunting on Lake Wylie? S.C. DNR schedules hearing for input

http://www.heraldonline.com/2011/09/...-wylie-sc.html

I'll be there!

Quote Originally Posted by dukhuntr View Post

I don't think hunting should be stopped, but a little common sense on the hunters part would help too. Since I moved away from the lake, I don't have a dog in this fight. I will say this however, the lake is over populated with houses and people. There are very few places to hunt on the lake now. If DNR would put this lake into a draw hunt situation, it might work as far as getting some hunters out on the lake, however, there is little draw to this lake for waterfowl or the waterfowler anyway, other than it is a body of water a duck might land. MIGHT.

I have seen the rubberhead brigades, I have seen the bass fisherman work the decoys.....There are a few places to find a wood duck, but could you imagine more than 2 boats in crowders creek on the same morning?

To each their own, Lake Wylie is not a place for Duck hunting.

Thanks for the free bump Dook!

I understand 100% what you are saying. I too have seen what you speak of, but I don't want one fella telling my what I can or in this case CAN"T do. I have not hunted the lakes but twice in the last three years, and probably wont hunt them at all this year. I just don't want to lose the option if I ever do.

Dook, just wait until there is a subdivision next to your deer lease, or duck swamp.

Give em an inch, they will take a mile.

Take away the stupid spots, the stupid who hunt there will find yours.

Good luck in the meeting those pro-hunter guys going.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Thanks BB

Meeting went well, hopefully a good compramise will be meet. Thanks to all that came out, and those that spoke.

def more there for it than against it!

Published: Tuesday, Sep. 06, 2011 / Updated: Tuesday, Sep. 06, 2011 09:38 PM

Residents want OK to hunt ducks on Lake Wylie

By Jason Chisari - jec2001@live.com

LAKE WYLIE --

Local duck hunters gathered at a meeting Tuesday night to show their support for a bill that would allow them to practice their sport close to home.

Before the preliminary Waterfowl Hunting Meeting adjourned, S.C. Rep. Tommy Pope asked for a show of hands in favor of permitting duck hunting in designated Lake Wylie geographical areas. The general consensus was overwhelming, with nearly all of the the more than 100 in attendance showing their support for a new piece of legislation that would allow duck hunting at Lake Wylie, provided they are 200 or more yards away from the nearest residence.

If the bill becomes law, the permitting of duck hunting on Lake Wylie would follow in accordance with similar waterfowl regulations at lakes such as Murray and Wateree.

There were some dissenters in the crowd as well. A variety of scenarios and perspectives were shared via an open forum at Tuesday evening's meeting, as those in support and against duck hunting at Lake Wylie voiced their opinion in regards to residential proximity, civilian safety, potential noise concerns from gunshot reports, and even the growing discord between longtime hunting tradition and the influx of new development occurring in Lake Wylie. Several hunters and local residents, many lifelong, took to the podium to offer their insights, but only one man received a round of applause when it was his turn to speak. He was River Hills resident Chuck Finlon, who spoke about the hunting way of life and what supporters and detractors need to accomplish in order to appease everyone as much as possible.

"In the United States, you can hunt, you can fish, you can own a gun, and it's the duck hunter that supports the wildlife of the waterfowl," said Finlon during the meeting.

"If it wasn't for the duck hunter, there would be no Canadian Geese, there would be no Whooping Cranes, to name a couple of examples. The friends of animals are not the [animals] and those are the hunters, and what we got to do is all work together.

Give everyone their space, make sure everyone has an understanding and call the Department of Natural Resources if you have a problem with anything that's agreed upon."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Finlon

"If it wasn't for the duck hunter, there would be no Canadian Geese"

Thanks JAB for posting that. THat reporter was kind of a prick, I wondered how that artical would turn out. He started foaming at the mouth when he heard about a fund that York county gets from licenses and DNR fines in the county.

We'll just have to wait and see now that it has been thrown out there for the "whole" lake to see. There were some pretty dumb ones in there on both sides, but hopefully folks will have some common sense about it.

Thank GOD the hunters managed to get those stinking geese citizenship in Canada. I would hate to know we have American Geese.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton