Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cherokee Foothills HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dog View Post
    ........ and the "bubba gunner's"......... duck on a rope trick........ and the always entertaining, "no see-um" blind!!!
    Wonder who would do something like that........
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Quote Originally Posted by HRC Dogs View Post
    Wonder who would do something like that........

A very clever individual, I would say!!!

Yep... those guys that founded the HRC had some clever ideas. The duck on a rope trick has several variations going back over 25 years.

I even recall the current HRC President from Cajun land puting on a similar test 4-5 years ago in NC.

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

Tell me about this "duck on a rope" deal......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

The usual scenarios......

A Finished test with a triple marked retrieve, where the 1st mark is reeled in.... while the dog is picking up the 3rd bird down (usually dictated). This scenario usually has the 1st & 2nd mark in line or indented with respect to each other (say 25yds and 100yds).

A Finished test where Bubba with his his gun at 30yds from the line shoots the 1st mark of a triple (2nd & 3rd mark shot from the line). Dog is sent for the 3rd mark down (usually dictated). While the dog picks up the 3rd bird down. Bubba picks up the 1st mark down.
    After the dog picks up both the 3rd & 2nd mark down. The dog is required to run a blind retrieve through the area of the of old fall of bird #1 (that Bubba picked up) out to 100yds.

The test simulates a cripple that Bubba shot.
    Usually the tests are disliked for various reasons....one for dictating the order the marks are to be picked up...
    Last edited by HRC Dogs; 03-09-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

I like the idea of changing it up every now and then, but the wrinkles are hard on us right now. I've found that the combination of a young, high strung dog and an inexperienced handler arent good in those types of deals. We need to see a few straight up tests this spring or Im afraid one of our heads might explode.
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Thanks HRC... that gives me an idea for my next judging assignment! Double honor, rat trap blind with a duck on a rope. Hmmm, we should be done around lunch time.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Quote Originally Posted by birdboy View Post
    Thanks HRC... that gives me an idea for my next judging assignment! Double honor, rat trap blind with a duck on a rope. Hmmm, we should be done around lunch time.

Can I request who NOT to run under at Midlands?

The trick to that setup is to NO off the go bird and pickup the duck on a rope first before he can swim off. Thats how we do it hunting right ? !
    80-20 Genaration

How about a triple duck on a rope with a double blind up both guts an an outgoing diversion? Oh yeah, your blindfolded.
    HRCH Lemon's Lady Chesney MH
    SHR Lemon's Pinch Of Long Cut aka Hagen
    "Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative." -Mordecai Siegal
    "If forced to choose between romantic love and my dog, I'd sure choose my dog." -Solange

Dman,
    How many ducks did you kill this year---that had ropes on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Dman,
    Excellent question! Did we just find out DM#1's secret to success?

DM1 and Jeff Foiles.....ducks on a rope...in the park!!!
    Professor
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

UH HR GCH CH Carolina's Wild March Hare MH JHR RAE OA OAJ AF WDS CGC TDI (Bunny)
    UH HRCH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) HRC 1500 Point Club (RIP)
    BISS HR GCH Carolina's Running With the Hare JHR SH WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    HRCH GCH CH Carolina's Tale of the Hare SH MHR WDX (Bea)
    Carolina's Three Duck Limit (Rio)

Dman,

A LOT ! Hell if you don't them suckers will fly off on ya !
    80-20 Genaration

Dman,

Wait a dang minute ! Why are you on here at 6:49 AM ? Called you the other day at dusk dark and you were home sitting down. I smell something !
    80-20 Genaration