Thread: 1000's of waterfowl inundate Illinois River Valley (video)

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default 1000's of waterfowl inundate Illinois River Valley (video)

1000's of waterfowl inundate Illinois River Valley (video)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT9mieYWymg[/ame]

HAVANA — When the snow geese lift off Thompson Lake, there are so many it can be hard to see through them.

But the snow geese are just part of the spring migration show playing now in the Illinois River Valley, with habitat conditions, water levels and the timing of migration coinciding perfectly.

All kinds of ducks and geese have been pouring in for the past 10 days to two weeks.

Lee Albright, manager of the Illinois River National Wildlife and Fish Refuges near Havana said seeing the waterfowl arrive has been a gratifying experience.

Three wet years in a row have made it hard for managers to control water levels and create optimum habitat.

Now that everything is working just as it should, Albright doesn’t want to leave.

“I’ve had a hard time staying away from here, because there have been so many birds to look at,” he said.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and The Nature Conservancy manage thousands of adjacent acres on both sides of Illinois 78/97 in Fulton County.

The Fish and Wildlife Service manages the Emiquon National Wildlife Refuge, and The Nature Conservancy has the Emiquon Preserve.

Besides snow geese, there are many species of ducks — brightly attired in their breeding plumage.

A family of trumpeter swans spent most of Wednesday feeding at the edge of a wetland full of mallards and assorted diving ducks.

The number of geese stopping over is hard to pin down.

“People have been calling our office looking for a number,” said Jason Beverlin of The Nature Conservancy. “I just say, ‘I really have no idea.’

Waterfowl scientist Chris Hine of the Illinois Natural History Survey finally hung a number on the snow geese this past week. Hine’s survey turned up 101,500 snow geese.

He also tallied 15 species of ducks, two species of swans, including 72 trumpeters, and about 1,500 Canada and greater white-fronted geese.

Birds are pairing up and feeding to build up strength for the remainder of migration and the breeding season to come.

“This habitat is really important for them this time of year,” said waterfowl scientist Randy Smith of the Illinois Natural History Survey. “Then we can send those ducks up north in excellent condition.”
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Seeing that many birds in one place is amazing
    "Truth, is treason, in the empire of lies"

thats amazing.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Its a deafening sound to listen to geese like that in person. Great stuff...
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Really good stuff. Thanks Mergie! You search the internets for cool stuff while I get work done, then I get to reap the fruits of your labor! Also those birds look incredible. It's amazing the difference in their plumage this time of year! That shoveler would look great after Shane got ahold of it!
    Last edited by surfcock; 03-08-2011 at 10:19 PM.

I've encountered thousands of snow geese in a field in LA. That many waterfowl is definitely a sight. To watch them interact, and thier behavior in general is interesting. Especially with pairing still going on with some species, that is the spot to be. Good post Merg.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft