Thread: Male or female lab?

Default Male or female lab?

What makes the best all around combo hunting dog and family friend? Differeing opinons ok but tell me why you think so.

Either. Anyone that tells you that gender makes one dog better than another is a dumbass.

Just remember with females you get heat cycles to worry about. With males you have your neighbors dog's heat cycle to worry about. A well placed incision eliminates both of these potential issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    this aint facebook. we do not give a SHIT about your every move. either tell stories about ducks dying or show pics.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I prefer females. I am now getting them fixed because breeding is such a bitch. They don't rock a boat like a larger male.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

males... just make sure you train him and stay on top of it... be the dominate one...

females you have to deal with bleeding and etc..

Black... I've owned 4 blacks, and 2 choc's. 1 choc was ok, the other a pain and too hyper. Some arent that way though. My black female has been by far the calmest, well listened dog I've ever had, but thats got a lot to do with the way I raised her.
    Go Tigers!!!

I have only had one lab or gundog for that matter, but my first was a male chocolate I named Goose. I picked a male because I wanted that "father son" relationship I guess...Im glad I did, because hes the smartest and vest dog ive ever had. I want to get a female one day too because im addicted to the breed now and im sure the female will be the same as Goose. I wouldnt think there would be any difference. I too heard that there is a slight difference in the temperments of the colors. It seems as though you could fix any traits you didnt like with training regardless of the color, but hey..maybe theres some truth to this! Anyway regarless of what you choose im sure youll be pleased.

Jeff

Female!

Males have to piss on everything & you can't rub their belly without mistakenly rubbing 'something else' :-)

As far as heat cycles (bleeding) are concerned, just have her spayed.

Honestly, as long as the pup has a good home, sex doesn't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    ...but thats got a lot to do with the way I raised her.
    This. Do it early and often, and you'll be fine. Although some dog's instincts are stronger than others, that just the way it is. It's a crap shoot either way.

I rescued my chocolate at 4 years and he made a damn fine meat dog. He could have been worlds better if I had worked with him as much I'd have wished.

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by UMTduckhead View Post
    males... just make sure you train him and stay on top of it... be the dominate one...

You can have females the same way.

My suggestion is to pick the right litter, not the right pup. If you do your homework on the dam and sire you will come out with the pup you're looking for. Too many people put the emphasis on the wrong end of the equation. It ain't picking the perfect pup out of the litter, it's picking the right litter to begin with. The rest boils down to how you socialize the pup afterwards.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    You can have females the same way.

My suggestion is to pick the right litter, not the right pup. If you do your homework on the dam and sire you will come out with the pup you're looking for. Too many people put the emphasis on the wrong end of the equation. It ain't picking the perfect pup out of the litter, it's picking the right litter to begin with. The rest boils down to how you socialize the pup afterwards.

Good luck.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Have an idea of what you want in a dog and then look for parents of a litter that exemplify that. You can't pick a puppy at 6 weeks old and know what its going to be like. However, you can know what the parents are like, and 9 times out of 10 thats what the puppy will be like with good training.

I have 1 male and have always had a male until the past couple of years.. now I have two females and one male... The females in my opinion aim to please more than the males. They also don't have to stop at every bush or tree and pee on the way back with the bird..

But as far as them being great friends.. both are even on that.. they are great !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    UH HRCH Somerset Points Golden Bear
    HR Somerset Points Cindy Lou Who
    SH Somerset Points One Rough Chic (Madea)

I like fixed females as pets, but as far as hunting dogs the only thing is whether you like a bigger male or smaller female

females
    Mud Buddy Pro Staff

Love my two girls. Mother/daughter hunting combo. 67lbs each and they stand on opposite sides of the boat when we are running. They are both fixed so no bleeding. And they have never pissed on my sofa or kitchen table as I have seen many males do when company comes over.

While I personaaly prefer females and Adam prefers the males, from good lines both hunt well and make good pets. Generally speaking, females will be smaller, though I have seen LEAN 80+ females and 45-50 lb males). Obiously like mentioned above females have a "clean" belly from scratching. IMve seen/had females that would mark, the three males i've had in the house would rather you beat them than pee in it. None of the three would go looking for a fight, but if jumped on wouldn't back down, but for the most part, my females are the same way, my smallest female is the most likely to try to start something with the other girls, usually when one is going in heat or in heat. and again, I've seen females that would instigate with ANY dog. Like stated before, get the girls fixed, no heat cycles to worry about. Neutering males will reduce/eliminate marking, roaming, and incidence of prostate/testicular cancer, BUT WILL DO NOTHING WITHOUT PROPER TRAINING (except the cancer part and reproductive ability). Personally I prefer to wait until after a year or so old to allow body to mature. Google early spay/neuter and Dr Zink for more info.
    www.cedarswampretrievers.com
    Labrador Retriever Puppies and Retriever Training
    Standing at stud:
    Cedar Swamp's Born to Boogie QAA (yellow)
    Young's Trump Card at Cedar Swamp QAA (black carries chocolate)
    Some of the "ladies":
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror SH

Quote Originally Posted by jgdavis123 View Post
    Either. Anyone that tells you that gender makes one dog better than another is a dumbass.
    And anyone who tells you there isn't any difference is a dumb ass, so pick your side of the line in the sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    My suggestion is to pick the right litter, not the right pup. If you do your homework on the dam and sire you will come out with the pup you're looking for.

The rest boils down to how you socialize the pup afterwards.

This is great advice.

FWIW, in my 40+ years of experience with gun dogs and pets, given the right litter, I'd still most likely choose a Female Lab... and a Male Golden. Any and all would be fixed no matter what.

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck and have fun!
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'