Thread: Insight on Hunt test clubs?

Default Insight on Hunt test clubs?

Well duck season is over and me and the pup are looking to get into the "hunttest" scene. I have been looking at the AKC hunt test, and im leaning more to that sort of club. Also looking at the Palmetto Retriever Club. I was wondering what the pros and cons are of the uka and akc clubs? Oh and Ive never been to a "test" and dont really know what to expect. My dog goose is a year and few months and is FF'd, CC'd and this duck season was his first year in action. He retrieved birds for me but this year was definately a learning experience you could tell. I had the most trouble keeping his eyes on falling birds which he always seemed to miss the "fold up kill" because he was looking around or wat not. But it was a good year and im proud of him. I trained him myself since 7weeks of age and hes the best pup ive ever had.(in fact the first and only retriever ive ever had period...) But like I said ive been wanting to get into a club for a while and now since its the off season and weve got most of the training down, I think its time to join. Let me know and tips if you got them!Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff, I am kind of in the same boat but had a little help from some of the guys on here. I'm going to the hunt test at Clinton Saturday just to see what its all about. I found out on here most of the guys dont care for cyber scouting but they are real good about helping a man and his dog. These guys can answer your questions and good luck.
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

And another reason we need to get into it is...hes already becoming a bum!haha
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey Duke are you running your pup? This is going to be my first time also!
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Jeff, the best way to tell which venue you'd like best is to go to each of them. Theres a test this weekend at the Clinton House hosted by Cherokee Foothills. They're a good bunch and they put on an excellent test. Itll be a good one to visit.

Cant speak much to the AKC side of it as we havent run any of those yet but there are some people on here that should be able to point you in the right direction there as well.

You can look on the Entry Express and Hunt Secretary sites to find upcoming tests that are close to you.

Be warned though, it is addictive.
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 02-28-2011 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Run all of them that you can afford. AKC... .UKC... it doesn't really matter to me. They are all "dog games" and if you enjoy seeing what your dog can do..... jump in with both feet and have a blast!!! It's a ton of fun for you and your dog.

Im coming to take a look at it, hopefully I will run my pup Jessi and my adult Chief
    Poverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another"

Jeffro, Try to spend the whole day watching as many different tests as time permits and talking to as many people as possible. There will be some great dogs there at all levels, but don't miss the Finished dogs working on land & water.

This might help with some of the information >>> http://www.hrc-ukc.com/

Should find the running rules and expectations of the dogs for each level.
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Make sure you look me up when you get there.

I'll be there this weekend as well. Look forward to meeting some of you new guys. I will say that HRC is a little more of a hunters game, more hunters running their dogs than in AKC. Both are fun.
    80-20 Genaration

So get this...the plant were I work is saying were most likely gona have to work saturday?! Out of all the weekends..........Anybody hiring or know anyone that is..?ha

Jeff

Come on sunday.I think you will like what you see.Its a lot of fun.