Thread: Questions about labs?

Default Questions about labs?

Got a few questions about labs.Been wanting a choclate lab since I was kid.I dont duck hunt anymore other than an ocassional walk in beaver pond hunt so a great hunting dog it doesnt need to be.Im looking for just someone to grow old with that will lay on my back porch and hang around the garage without wondering off.I dont want to build a kennel but would consider an invisable fence.Anyone here with an experience with an invisable fence? Also which would be better for a pet,male or female and how much should I expect to pay for a pet varity with papers?Thanks

A well trained Lab will not need an invisable fence. Get a male and cut his nuts. With a little luck you will have a friend to grow old with.

I would guess $250-$500 price range is what your looking at. I like females. Smaller in size and they don't pee on everything. Don't know where you live but if your in town with traffic then the invisafence is great.
    80-20 Genaration

I live in the country but we do have traffic as people use our road as a cut through.If I get a female are they more lovable and home bodies? I imagine I would have to get her fixed as I dont want a bunch of mutts running around the homestead.

Well trained dogs get hit by cars and run into all other sorts of unnecessary drama every day. A fence prevents most, if not all, of it.

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    I live in the country but we do have traffic as people use our road as a cut through.If I get a female are they more lovable and home bodies? I imagine I would have to get her fixed as I dont want a bunch of mutts running around the homestead.
    Nor do you want some other guys well trained, uncastrated male hanging around your house trying to scratch off a piece of your cuddle buddy.

Male or female, remove the baby makin' parts and save yourself lots of headaches and lots of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Well trained dogs get hit by cars and run into all other sorts of unnecessary drama every day. A fence prevents most, if not all, of it.
    A fence yes, but an invisable fence no.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    A fence yes, but an invisable fence no.
    I agree but better than nothing. And even a physical barrier fence isn't a show stopper. They can dig and jump out of those as well.

Sorry for the hijack. Good luck with your search.
    Last edited by Glenn; 03-01-2011 at 09:25 PM.

If I was to do a chain link fence, can a lab be trained to crap in one area or do they drop their bombs wherever? Im doggy dumb so help me out.

If I was to do a chain link fence, can a lab be trained to crap in one area or do they drop their bombs wherever? Im doggy dumb so help me out.
    That is too funny.

You have gotten some great advice from 2 people on here that I personally respect ( Glenn and Duckman ) and I would encourage you to take it. As for some other suggestions..... If you can put a chain link around a portion of the property that would be the best but the underground invisible ones are great if for no other reason then something is better then nothing. I know that you said you dont want to build a "kennel" but you may want to consider having an area in a corner of the yard or shaded area where you can put a 6 X 10 chain link kennel with a dog house and some sort of cement pad. That way when you need a place to leave your pet then it is secure, and protected from the elements to a degree. You also might want to consider a dog that is being "retired" from either the conformation ring or Hunt Tests, the cost might be a little higher then you might want to spend but a great deal of the training would be behind you and you can get right to the business of enjoying the companion you were hoping for. Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck.
    Last edited by SouthBryanLabs; 03-01-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    Coastline's Seal The Deal

Gunners Up Winger - Dealer for Georgia and South Carolina

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

Not to change the subject but have y'all seen the mobile dog poop people that come to yalls hose an scoop your dogs poop up?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Training a dog to do damn near anything is simple.

Anytime you wish, I will be glad to show you 6 or more well trained dogs that can do anything from triple blind retrieves to opening fridges and knowing the difference between a beer bottle and a gatorade, all taught by guys who have never heard of a hunt test or even seen a retriever handbook.

Spend time with your dog and you can teach it just as you can teach a child.

Repetition.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Spend time with your dog and you can teach it just as you can teach a child.

Repetition.
    This is very true.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    This is very true.
    My lab,and muts have been much eaiser than the kids ever were.

Steve.