Thread: Food Plot Question

I'm sure this has been asked countless times, but I'm going to be planting summer food plots, primarily for deer, and want recommendations on what is economical but beneficial forages.

Also, I will be need to use a pre-emergent herbicide to control weeds. I was thinking about Prowl, but can you use this in any food plot and where can I find it, do I need a license to buy it, etc. Any help is appreciated.

pre-emergent is nice. Prowl or treflan. Not even sure if they attack the same stuff...but you might check. what is your weed situation? not wanting to buy any off you, just wondering if you have grasses or broadleaf weeds.

get a soil sample. people always told me to do this and i never did. then, i finally did and it is amazing what the CORRECT fertilizer and lime will do to an average plot.

that being said, once you get your dirt ready, are you going to broadcast and drag or do you have a drill?

then, you have to decide about cost. you can get some kick-ass seed from wannamaker wildlife seed company in st matthews that is a good summer plot of peas and beans. it is about $30 per bag. it will grow on pavement. OR, if you are just getting started and kind of want to test the waters, i would get combine beans. they are cheap ($10 or so) and will grow, too. they cant handle getting browsed, but at least you can watch deer eat them.

--i think you can buy treflan or prowl anywhere. no license needed. check out carolina eastern in columbia. that is the only place i know...but i am sure wannamaker could tell you somewhere closer to o'burg.

hope this helps...i am NOT a farmer. Sportin' Woodies might be able to help, too, if Duckman doesn't jump his shit.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Habitat Seed @ $4.00/bag is hard to beat. I can stand to plant twice/thrice if need be.

Fertilize the native flora and fauna- you'll be amazed.

Picking up 40 bushels of soybeans next week- will start planting in late May. Then again 10 days before the season (if need be).

Ditto 2thless on the soil test. I don't worry about weeds in the small <1acre plots, as they'll eat them too, if you've got the nutrients right.

Prowl and treflan have very similar modes of action and predominately suppress emergance of grass species. Do not use these chemicals in areas where you are planning to plant grasses such as millets. They will work fine for bean and peas.

Thanks. I have the soil tests done, and lime is already arranged to be spread this week, although I intended to have it out by January. Most or all of my planting will be done with a drill.
    I do have some leftover round up ready corn and was considering mixing it in with rr soybeans. My problem is I don't have a planter for the corn. I've heard of people mixing it all and broadcasting, but has anyone tried this or had any success this way? Also, even though they are both roundup ready, would you still recommend the prowl or treflan preemerge?

Originally posted by Jakedog:
    I do have some leftover round up ready corn and was considering mixing it in with rr soybeans. Also, even though they are both roundup ready, would you still recommend the prowl or treflan preemerge?
    One is a broadleaf(soybeans) and the other is in the grass family(corn). Preemergence herbacides will hurt one while helping the other.

Since they are both roundup ready, I wouldn't use any preemergent herbacide. Let all the weeds and grasses germinate and then kill them all with Roundup/glyphosphate.

It will save you some money as well.

The corn probably won't make, so I would plant the beans by themselves.

I agree that wannamaker makes a good seed but you can make your own version of magic carpet for half the price. We always put inaculent(sp) on our peas and beans. I would plant some egyptian weat and maybe pearl millet in with it. We plant our fields in strips half summer and then half fall/winter. That way there is always mature seed on the ground for turkeys, quail and it provides cover along with you will always have something green growing for the dear.

Deer greens have also worked well for us along with planting fruit bearing trees. There is a new hybrid pear tree, I believe it was developed in Chapin, that produces fruit in the second year. We have had great success with these trees, large fruit that the deer seem to love.

If your weed is nutgrass then you should just plant round up ready soy beans until you can kill it out because it will choke out anything you plant. Skip the corn until you have your weeds under control.

Hope this helps.

amazing what the CORRECT fertilizer and lime will do to an average plot.
    Best advise yet !
    80-20 Genaration