Thread: Snow Geese Affects On Impoundments?

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Someone mentioned on SC Ducks the other day of seeing more and more snows each year here in the State, up to flocks of several hundred bird now.
    Personally I wouldn't mind being able to whack a bunch of sky carp each year but...

..it got me thinking about what affect hundreds or even thousands of snows would have on an impoudment. I'm sure they could clean out all the corn in an impoudment in a day or so, given the sizes of their flocks, once they started using SC heavily.

Any opinions on this? Is there any danger of them ruining people's impoundments? How would you keep them out without running the ducks off? Has this happened in other areas where snows are prevalent?

I know very little about snows, I think that they're primarily grazers, but I can't imagine them turning down a pond full of corn if they found it.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

As far as I know, they mostly use agricultural fields. I don't think there is much of a chance of ever having a problem with them down here though.

I agree with Duckcrazed, Merg. Snows dislike cover of any kind as far as I can tell, and flooded standing corn would likely scare them. We have always had them at our place and they rarely get in the ponds at all and when they do it is only on very open water. We had a dozen come through late Friday night and anyone camped on the river or in the swamp should have heard them...

Every year, some will team up with some Canadians on Lake Murray. A few years ago, one paid the the price for that...
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Before the season we saw almost 200 hundred on open water at one of the lakes. The most I ever saw in SC in one place. I think the corn impoundments are safe but if the crops are low or open fields we may start to see more and more every year. The got to eat and as there numbers increase they will start to move more southward.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.