Thread: Crimson Clover

Does anyone have any experience/advice with planting crimson clover? The field I have in mind has been in chufa the past two years and I'm giving it a break. The crimson seems fairly low cost and low maintenance, and I'd imagine the deer and turkeys would use it. Any thoughts?

Also, I'm relatively new to the site and am enjoying so far.

Crimson is pretty good but is an annual for the most part. You may want to spend a little more money and try a Ladino clover which is a perennial and will last for a few years or more with little upkeep. Make sure you plant your seed very shallow by dragging over. If you try to disc the seed in you'll probably go to deep and not get good production. Bottom line,Crimson is great for wildlife, I like the Ladino or Duranna clovers better but they do cost more.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

i wouldnt waste my time with crimson.
    maybe my soil was too acidic but i dont think so.
    deer, turkeys didnt touch it when i planted it with winter peas and turnips.

go white.

I have had good luck with Crimson Clover, particularly on poorer soils. Deer and turkeys will both use the plant. The seed is liked by many birds including bobwhites. Crimson is much more tolerant of low pH than any of the white clovers. Whites are perennials and so you can get more time out of them and they are generally higher in protein as well as cost. A well managed crimson plot will reseed well enough to generally get 2 years. Try the cultivar 'Dixie reseeding red'. Be sure to include the innoculant. I usually put the clover seed in a bucket, pour in a can of sprite, then the innoculant and miz well. This gets the innoculant to stick to the seed. It needs to be planted shallow so make sure you have a uniform seed bed and do not bury the seed deeply. Using a cultipacker seeder would be ideal. Good luck with your plots!

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Crimson Clover reminds me of Tommy James and the Shondells (gives you an idea how old I am)! It was also one of the longest songs, besides 'Hey Jude' and 'Silence Is Golden', of any song I can remember!!

But what's it got to do with turkeys and deer? [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Originally posted by Mergie Master:
    Crimson Clover reminds me of Tommy James and the Shondells (gives you an idea how old I am)! It was also one of the longest songs, besides 'Hey Jude' and 'Silence Is Golden', of any song I can remember!!

But what's it got to do with turkeys and deer? [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
    I thought it was Joan Jet and the Black Hearts...
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Nope TJ & the Shondells.

Crimson and Clover" is a song by Tommy James and the Shondells. It was one of the biggest hits of the 1960s and reached #1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1969.

"Crimson and Clover" was completely written and recorded by the duo of Tommy James and Peter Lucia Jr., the Shondells drummer. Lucia played drums and delivered backing vocals, while James played all other instruments and sang the lead vocals.

The song is famous for a unique "wobbly" vocal effect near the end of the song. To produce this effect, Tommy James plugged his microphone into a guitar amplifier, flipped the tremolo switch, and repeatedly sang the line "crimson and clover, over and over". When it was released in December 1968, many listeners thought he was saying "Christmas is over" instead of "crimson and clover."

The line "Crimson and clover -- over and over!!!" is used by bots in AOL chat rooms.

Album version: contains extended guitar solos and runs well over five minutes
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Holy Shit. I can't decide if I'm trapped in a "Behind the Music" or an episode of "Pop-Up Video." Thanks to all whose response didn't include a reference to Tommy James and the Shondells. And if it did, thanks for reminding me of the day I discovered my mom's 8-track collection.

[img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

Which ever clover you go with do a soil sample and lime accordingly. As for fertilizer we like a 0-14-14, Clover makes it's own nitrogen and by using a 0 nitrogen on the fert it will help with weed control. The name of the game on clover is mowing, Mowing keeps it young and tender and help to control weeds. You can also spray it with Poast to control weeds without killing the clover.
    80-20 Genaration