Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning up log decks

c lab a dozer is your best bet. much cheaper.

Dozer with root rake.

If you're leasing company land those decks will probably be used in the future so no need to spend a bunch of money.

Quote Originally Posted by hightine View Post
    all my logging decks are near the club road, and the hell if i'ma let other members see deer on my plot

If it wasn't a club effort I wouldn't mess with it!

Quote Originally Posted by choco-lab View Post
    will those mulch heads on a bobcat chew thru stumps or just small brush.
    I have a thinned section that has some 400 yard roads but are littered with small 8in pine stumps. I would love to run a tractor thru and plant it but i need the stumps gone. IS bulldozing the best option?
    Dozer with a KG Blade will be the cheapest.

if the stumps have been there a few years you can push them up with the bucket on a regular tractor sometimes.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

No, they are fresh. This summers thinning. I want to get it planted for next year. I tried pushing it with bucket but didn't work.
    He would have been nice next year.

yeah you wont push any fresh pine stump with a tractor and bucket, def. need a dozer for smaller pine stumps. i had some pines thinned last year and cut a road, and the stumps were about 10" and a dozer with a 10 ft blade didn't want anything to do with them and thatdude driving the dozer new what the hell he was doing, dig the bigger stumps if you plan on planting this year

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Gumbo View Post
    Done it all the ways above, but the "easiest" was having a crew come through with one of the whirling-mulchers on the front of the bobcat. That thing took a mess and made it into something nice. Still had to lime and till (notice I didn't say disc) the shit out of the deck for a while to make it "nice", but you'd never know it was a logging deck these days.
    Screw one of those things, atleast when it comes to quail woods, it just blankets the ground, yeah it looks nice but takes forever to get shit to grow.
    Last edited by buckpro; 01-12-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

The mulch head is best when used in combination with fire. You grind up most everything and then burn it, so afterward it is clean for planting.