Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marsh Hen

Tater is correct. No requirement. I know you can get a ticket for shooting while coasting. If a warden is watching you from a distance and sees you shooting with the motor down, he may give you a courtesy safety inspections.

If you're poling through Spartina grass, you probably want the engine out of the water anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Now I know where Don Martin got his inspiration
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

IC said the blind TealTapper..

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    It's a great workout for a dog. Most places that hold hens on a spring tide are too high up for oysters.
    I usually hunt them along the N. Edisto.
    There are too many oyster rakes for me to consider using a dog.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Either or is fine...

I've heard that they're not too bad (never eaten them), but a friend of a friend loves them so he's the one that gets 'em...

SUPER fun to shoot and it's a good time on the water!
    They are good but for some reason they get a bad rap. Before the state took over the islands behind Fripp we went to a camp every year in the fall and enjoyed some tremendous meals put on by a gentleman who actually brought a gas range to the camp every time we went. He fixed marsh hens for us several times and in a couple different ways. Guy was a hell of a chef. Ate lots of shrimp, crabs, conch, birds, and drank way too much beer.

They are great, if you take the time to remove all the fat from the breasts and thigh/leg. The fat contains some funky flavors which give these little delicacies a bad rap.

I pull the breasts, then pop the legs/thighs out. There is a lot of meat on the thigh. They can be fried or my favorite, smothered. There is great receipt for smothered marsh hens in the old "Charleston Receipt Book".
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

Quote Originally Posted by cudexter View Post
    i only put up with you because i see some football potential in Tot.
    I concur
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.