Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas style...

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Sure you could. And they do. And to think that the owners of that property are going to go through the expense of fencing and not know where these deer are at all times is neive.

If your theory holds true and a 25K acre pen is fair chase then why high fence it?
    To keep the trash out, namely poachers, etc. I don't hold with a hunter thumbing through a photo album and paying $15k to shoot a certain deer. If I had that much acreage though and the coin, it would probably be fenced. Might not be a high fence but some sort.

Would you view it any different if this wasn't a pay hunt setup and only one man or his family hunted the property?

I might be completely wrong but if the property is big enough, fair chase is guaranteed if you're just out there hunting without the aid of a guide pinpointing the deer or gps tagging em'.

It's like clockwork...

We have covered dog hunting ad nauseam, QDMA ad nauseam, now...we have high fences in TX...

Love it!
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by SCLAND&TIMBER View Post
    Would you view it any different if this wasn't a pay hunt setup and only one man or his family hunted the property?
    No I would not. Fair chase means free ranging and that cannot be accomplished inside a high fence.

Now let me clear some things up before we get all confused. I detest it. Hate it and would never ever "hunt" one of these "ranches".

However if someone wants to do it then rock on. There is a reason B&C does not recognize these animals and only Safari Club does. They are farmed deer.

And I don't know what the laws are on it but if someone does high fence their property and in the process traps/pens up some of the states deer then they should have to pay the state for those deer.

I find the whole practice just sickening.

I got an idea and am looking for investors. Im gonna build a series of giant saltwater pools in mount pleasant and keep in each a farm raised well fed blue marlin with a simulated cockpit and fighting chair at one end. That way you can avoid all the rough seas and searching of open ocean involved in traditional fishing. Guaranteed catch........Only 10k a fish...............tag and release only.............serious inquiries only.............Thanks

When you put up a fence, it becomes farming, not hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by TJR View Post
    I got an idea and am looking for investors. Im gonna build a series of giant saltwater pools in mount pleasant and keep in each a farm raised well fed blue marlin with a simulated cockpit and fighting chair at one end. That way you can avoid all the rough seas and searching of open ocean involved in traditional fishing. Guaranteed catch........Only 10k a fish...............tag and release only.............serious inquiries only.............Thanks
    By the time you deal with the corps of engineers digging in wetlands, you are going to have to charge more than 10k. They actually have Marlin and Tuna pens somewhere in the gulf I think. Who knew.

Low-fences are fine a dandy...a deer can get out/in with no problem. When you put up a 12' high fence, and "manage" these deer like they are done(breeder pens, does with tags in their ears, rocket netting and aging/scoring bucks to determine whether or not they should be culled, etc) is a disgrace to the "sport of hunting". First off, I don't find it a sport...it's much more than that, and once that high fence goes up, it's no longer hunting. I don't give a damn if you're hunting 15 acres of high fence, or 150k acres of high fence, it's all on the same level(or lower) than shooting tame mallards.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

And I don't know what the laws are on it but if someone does high fence their property and in the process traps/pens up some of the states deer then they should have to pay the state for those deer.

I find the whole practice just sickening.
    If you high fence your property out here, you are allowed a permit to completely wipe out the entire population of deer on your land(in or out of season) so that you can bring in the genetics that you want.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Hell with a high fence!!! I was at a processors place about 4 years ago. I brought in a buck that was probably 160 lbs I shot......Hunted hard for that deer! These guys pull up in 2 z71's with a buck in each truck. I saw horns. Both deer were in the 140 inch range. I started to complement what a good job they did killing 2 big deer like they had killed. Then...................one of em says something about a fence. They then tell the whole story about how they killed em in a fence somewhere on the little salk river. Fucking tamie ass whitetail hunters! they were having both deer mounted by the way. FYI.....If you kill a deer in a pen...IT AINT NOTHIN SPECIAL!

Young bucks displace. They leave home and travel to set up house keeping. New bucks show up allll the time. Same with does. God/nature designed it this way for genetic diversity or else all deer would look like people from Six Mile or Darlington.

Anytime you prevent deer from leaving or entering an area you are locking those "genetics" in or out and have inbreeding. The only way to avoid it is to A) tear down the fences and allow free ranging deer, or B) bring in new genetics via "buying" other deer or with AI programs like some of these "ranches" have.

While I whole-heartedly agree with literally everything you are saying regarding fenced deer hunting, I have to state that a family friend owns one of the oldest high fence hunting preserves in SC and they actually have far more deer jump in the fence than they do jump out.
    They don't import deer.
    Does actually jump in as well as alot of young bucks.

....that is all.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 10-05-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCLAND&TIMBER View Post
    To keep the trash out
    Does this fence keep the trash out?