Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat 11'-8.5" southern coastal gator...

Default Fat 11'-8.5" southern coastal gator...

WELL ON THE SECOND TRIP OF THE YEAR WE FINALLY GOT A NICE SOUTHERN COASTAL GATOR.... LAST TWO YEARS I HAVE HUNTED THERE, AND EVERY TRIP I HAVE SEEN NICE 11-12 FOOTERS, AND EVERY TIME SOMETHING HAPPENS AND WE DONT GET THEM.....WELL NOT THIS TIME...

WE STARTED EARLY, WAS AT THE SPOT IN TIME TO WATCH THE LAST FEW MINUTES OF SUNDOWN.... WE STAYED ON GATORS ALL NIGHT, BUT NOTHING I WOULD EVEN CONSIDER SHOOTING.... AND MOST WERE VERY SKITTISH.... WE GOT UP ON SEVERAL SMALLER GATORS IN THE 6-8 FOOT RANGE BUT HELD OFF FOR A BIGGER ONE....ABOUT 12:00 I WAS ABOUT READY TO CALL THIS TRIP A DUD AND HEAD FOR THE HOUSE, BUT DECIDED TO STICK IT OUT FOR A FEW MORE MINUTES SINCE THE WIND HAD CALMED DOWN AND THE MOON WASNT AS BRIGHT AS EARLIER IN THE NIGHT. IM GLAD I DID, WE GOT ON 6 OR 8 GATORS WITHIN THE NEXT 20 MINUTES IN THE 7-8 FOOT RANGE... STILL NOT THE BIG BOY....

SEEN TWO SETS OF EYES IN THE MOUTH OF A SMALL CREEK AND FIGURED THEY WOULD BE SMALL ONES LIKE WE HAD BEEN LOOKING AT ALL NIGHT.... WE GOT A LITTLE CLOSER AND WE KNEW THIS WAS THE ONE. WE GOT SET UP FOR THE STALK, MY DAD DREW THE BOW BACK, HE STARTS TO GO DOWN AND THE ARROW FLEW. STRING CAME TIGHT ABOUT A FOOT FROM THE GATORS NECK, AND HE BUSTS OUT TOWARD DEEP WATER. DAMN DAMN DAMN.... WE I GRAB THE BOW AND START TO RE RIG THE LINE AND THEY SPOT HIM, HE IS HEADED FOR DEEPER WATER.... FINALLY I GET THE THING RIGGED UP, HAND IT BACK TO HIM, AND LOOK UP AND THERE IS THE OTHER GATOR, JUST 20 YARDS AWAY, AND HE IS A STUD TOO!!! WE EASE UP TO HIM, HE DRAWS BACK, GATOR IS SWIMMIN AWAY FROM US JUST AS FAST AS WE ARE TROLLING.... WE GET AS CLOSE AS WE ARE GONNA GET AND HE SHOOTS. ARROW HITS THE BACK OF THE GATOR, RICOCHETS OFF AND FLYS UP IN THE AIR.... OMG, WE HAVENT SEEN A GATOR WORTH SHOOTING ALL NIGHT, AND NOW, WITHIN 10 MINUTES, WE HAVE MISSED TWO BRUTES!!! I GRAB THE BOW AND START RE RIGGING AGAIN, THEY ARE SHINING THE LIGHT AND HOLY SHIT, THERE HE IS AGAIN, JUST 30 YARDS UP THE BANK AGAIN. WE ARE GONNA GET ONE MORE TRY!!! THIS TIME THE ARROW CONNECTED SOLID! RIGHT WHERE IS NEEDS TO BE.... GATOR ERUPTS, AND THE FIGHT IS ON.... AFTER A WHILE OF BACK AND FORTH, WE GET THE GATOR UP AND GET A HARPOON IN HIM, THEN THE FIRST SHOT FROM THE 44. HE ROLLS OVER, SECOND SHOT FROM THE 44 (THAT HIT MY ARROW POINT, CUTTIN MY LINE AND RUINING A BRAND NEW GATOR HEAD) NOW WE ARE DOWN TO ONE LINE AGAIN.... WE GRAB A ROPE, GET IT OVER HIS JAW AND CLEAT IT OFF TO THE STERN. WE GOT HIM, BUT WE STILL GOTTA MAKE THAT KILL SHOT... WE STRUGGLED FOR A FEW MINUTES TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET HIM TURNED AROUND FOR A SHOT AT THE SWEET SPOT, AND INSTEAD WE JUST PULLED HIS MOUTH OPEN, AND AIMED RIGHT DOWN HIS MOUTH, BULLET CAME OUT RIGHT BETWEEN HIS EYES..... HE WAS DEADER THAN A HAMMER THEN.....

WE DRUG HIM TO SHALLOWER WATER NEAR THE BANK, GOT THE BOAT SITUATED, AND SOME HOW MANAGED TO GET HIM IN THE BOAT. WE THEN PUTTED BACK THE 8 MILES TO THE LANDING, AND FINALLY GOT HOME ABOUT 3:30......AT 6:15 I FINALLY GOT IN THE BED, ONLY TO BE AT WORK THIS MORNING AROUND 8:30...... O WELL, YOU CAN SLEEP WHEN YOU ARE OLD......

GATOR ENDED UP MEASURING 11' 8.5" LONG..... AND I DIDNT WEIGH HIM SO IM NOT GONNA THROW OUT A NUMBER, BUT HE WAS VERY FAT FOR HIS LENGTH, ESPECIALLY FOR A SOUTHERN COASTAL GATOR.... AND JUST LIKE MOST COASTAL GATORS, DAMN IF HE DIDNT HAVE A ROUGH LOOKIN SET OF CHOMPERS.... HE WAS MISSING HALF HIS TEETH, AND THE ONES HE HAD WERE ALOT SMALLER THAN NORMAL, LIKE THEY WERE JUST GROWING BACK.... ALSO HAD A PRETTY GOOD SCAR ON THE FRONT OF HIS SNOUT....

Nice work beau

Neat shot placement on that 44 in the mouf.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    Nice crocs, and nice lizard!!

Good one Dixie! Congrats.
    Duck hunters are fools, all of us. -Mergie Master

sum bitch bit my dads gun barrel .... put a good battle scar on the end of the 44 mag.... or as my dad called it last night "the clint eastwood"

bastard also bit the bottom corner of my boat and put some crazy gashes in it.... that gator was mean!

I don't know much about gators, but that thing looks huge. congrats.
    Carolina Counsel

he did have a big belly.... coulda fit a grown deer and a few fawns in there. haha

big dang gater DDS
    Bone....

Yea that is a nice one. Congrats

You'd be pissed off too if someone stuck you then pumped a few slugs in ya.

Good work boys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

cant wait to get video edited and uploaded.... just listening to the audio had me crackin up....

dad- "im gonna shoot him in the mouth"
    dad- "dat bitch bit my gun"
    me- "shut up, i dont care, this thing is still alive"
    dad- "i will tape him"
    me- "damn you done used the whole role of tape"
    wesley- "bo, i cant budge him"
    me- "unhook the gaff from the side of the boat dumb ass"

hahahahahaha
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 09-17-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Call WIS!
    You've got one life. Blaze on!

Don't edit the video, I'm sure it will be funny as hell unedited!
    Duck hunters are fools, all of us. -Mergie Master

Quote Originally Posted by Take em' View Post
    Don't edit the video, I'm sure it will be funny as hell unedited!
    just gotta put them all together... camera woman kept turning it on and off... gotta consolidate them....

damnit son thats some gooduns

Good job bud!!! We also connected in southern coastal last night. Same story, gators were real spooky till that moon started easing down a little. Then it was like somebody flipped a switch. My guy stuck him with the crossbow on the first fought him up, put a harpoon in him, fought him up a couple more times. Then put the 9 to the back of his head mafia style and let one roll, stone dead.

When these gators are wore out from the fight you can put the pistol damn near touching their skin and let it rip. At least that is how i do it.

The bastard did bight the shit out of the side of my flats boat, actually put two good holes in the rubber on the rub rail.
    Last edited by Capt. Tom; 09-17-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Good lord what a fat lizard.

I have more than a couple battle scars in the gel coat of my HT...
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Good killin man!! That's uh nice one!

Good one!
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan