Thread: O/U ?

Default O/U ?

Hey Fellas, thinkin about getting and over/under. Question is, Do I really need 3" or is 2 3/4 good enough for the dove field/skeet range?
    Waves of summer grasses,
    All that remains,
    Of a warriors dreams.
    -- Matsu Basho

3.5" with high flyer chokes!!!!!!!
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

You ever seen a 3" skeet/dove load?

There's your answer...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I've hunted ducks with my 2 3/4" Citori.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 07-27-2010 at 08:28 AM.

3" field load? I've seen people shoot high brass field loads-which I still think is overkill, but you definitely don't need 3" on doves. Hell, I shoot regular 2 3/4" 20 gauge on pheasants- that's certainly all you need on doves.
    Carolina Counsel

Im thinking about using it as an all around gun, and I thought it would be good to have the 3". just incase.
    Waves of summer grasses,
    All that remains,
    Of a warriors dreams.
    -- Matsu Basho

You can drop a 2.75 in a 3" hole but not vice versa.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Yep, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Most production guns are chambered 3" anyway. I've been shooting the same Citori Lightning for 25 years and its still my favorite gun of all the shotguns that I own.

I have a buddy that got ahold of one of those Cynergy 3.5" Shot Show guns with the synthetic stock that's pretty bad ass but I wouldn't want to lug it around on a quail hunt all day, damn thing is heavy as hell.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Agreed with Salty. 95% of the shells you shoot will be 2 3/4" but there is a chance you will need it as a backup in the duck blind or in a South Dakota cornfield.

Sorry- you confused me. First you asked whether you needed 3" for skeet and dove, and now you're saying you want it as an all around gun. If it's all around gun, then I would definitely go with 3". If you need it, you have it. I have a Beretta 686 that is awesome on doves and skeet. You just need to handle several and see what you like. Figure out what your price range is and then handle various models in that range. If you're looking in the $1000-2000 range, you can get any number of grades of Browning, Beretta, Winchester, Ruger, etc. If you don't want to spend that much, then you might find a CZ for under a grand, as well as several other makes. If you want to spend more, then the sky's the limit.
    Carolina Counsel

I appreciate it. I didnt meen to confuse anybody. I dont think I would take it duck hunting, but I think if I'm going to spend that much money I want it do be a good all around gun.
    Waves of summer grasses,
    All that remains,
    Of a warriors dreams.
    -- Matsu Basho

If you think you NEED a 3" gun to shoot decoying ducks you are either;

A. Not using the correct choke.

OR

B. Using the wrong size shot.

Or both...

You can kill all the decoying birds you want with a 2 3/4" twenty gauge... If you are having a bad day, you may bump up to a twelve.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I would go with the 3" for the same reason BB and salty said, if you need it you got it.
    I'm like a duck: calm above the water, and paddling like hell underneath....

I have patterned the different shells with different guns, and some guns pattern better with the 2 3/4 inch. You have to try the different shell to see the difference. \

I have been shooting the 2 3/4 on ducks and have found out that the #5 with 1 1/8 oz. works pretty good, however they will give you three days in the electric chair for using them...But seriously, if you are shooting ducks or doves in close, the shorter shell will put em down and with a lot less shoulder pain.
    2 Corinthians 10:12 NKJV For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measureing themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

Unless it's an extremely light weight gun, there's no reason an O/U can't have 3" chambers. Even light weight doubles can have 3" chambers, but they just kick like a mule. You're right about 2 3/4" being fine for dove / clays.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    If you think you NEED a 3" gun to shoot decoying ducks you are either;

A. Not using the correct choke.

OR

B. Using the wrong size shot.

Or both...

You can kill all the decoying birds you want with a 2 3/4" twenty gauge... If you are having a bad day, you may bump up to a twelve.

Well put, my duck hunting partna whacks them with a twenty. One of the best shots I've hunted with. Stone cold killa with a bow too!

That's what she said.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.