Thread: Hartwell Ramp

Default Hartwell Ramp

What's the closest ramp to Greenville? Have always gone to Jocassee since I moved to Greenville and wanted to check out Hartwell, thanks for any help guys.
    Jesco White is an American Hero.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

thanks very much
    Jesco White is an American Hero.

If you are going down I-85 from greenville- the closest ramp is Darwin Wright park at exit 21 on I-85 (exit at 21 twd anderson and the ramp is on the left before you cross the lake). Brown Road ramp can be accessed from exit 27 on I-85 south- but you will need to check a map on how to get there. These ramps may not be on the US Army Corp list- as they are Anderson County ramps. That darwin wright park is full of freaks- but it is one of the "closest to greenville".

Behind the exxon at exit 19 is Hurricane creek ramp- I dont think it is an army corps ramp either.

All 3 of those ramps will leave you with a haul to the areas that I know of where people catch Stripers (I'm NOT a striper fisherdude so take that for what it's worth). Of the 3 I would use the ramp behind the Exxon at exit 19 (go under the bridge and take that ramp which heads back towards anderson and the Exxon is 1/2 mi or less on the right).

You're probably gonna be better off going down to exit 14 and going back across the interstate. 14 will lead you right to Portman Shoals where there is a ramp with a guard AND you'll be central to all Striper locales...again, I'm NOT a striper fisherdude

I said "14 will lead you...." It's actually exit 14, the road number is 187....
    Last edited by Tater; 05-20-2010 at 01:37 PM.

I would concur with you Tater. And I don't know if you're fishing or not but there's a bait shop at that Exxon right before Portman and also on 24 (Next exit, 11)

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I said "14 will lead you...." It's actually exit 14, the road number is 187....
    What he said...

You can get anywhere from there...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

If I were coming from Greenville and are looking for stripers I would go to Broyles or Portman Marina . These are easy to find and safe places to leave a vehicle and if you are not familiar with the lake and get turned around very easy to find on the water.

They are also pretty centralized for the lake, the others mentioned (Brown Rd, Smiths Mill(Hurricane Creek) are a long run down to the main lake.

Pick up a map of Harwell or if you have a gps mark your ramp and it will be easy to find our way back, the marker buoys are very easy to read and once you understand the parts of the lake the buoys make navigation a breeze to those not familiar with it.

Let me know if you need any more help, personally I have never been on Jocasse and keep planning on a day trip up there but never make it. Everyone tells me it is a great lake for a day trip

Also if you put in at the ramps on the upper end of lake(Brown Rd, Hurricane Creek, etc) you will be limited to how far you can go if your boat has a t top. You will not be able to get under the Centerville Rd Bridge(we call it White City Park Bridge). This is the bridge right below the water intake for city of Anderson and probably lowest bridge on the lake.

It keeps a LOT OF BOATS from running up to old Charlie T's, (forgot the new name of the restaurant)

Only time I can get under that bridge is when lake is at least 5-6' down