Bible Study Verse:

Psalm 23:1-3

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake. (NIV)

Thoughts:

The other day my schedule worked out so that I could take some time early in my day to venture out to nearby ponds that hold largemouth bass. After dismissing all the reasons for not going, I actually forced myself to take the time off. I'm a free-lance journalist for my local newspaper and for some state and national magazines. My days are always busy, for which I thank the Lord--no complaints.

It felt so good to back away from the computer screen for about three hours and try a couple of new fishing rods that I was testing for a magazine article. The summertime temperature wasn't stifling at 6:00am. The appearance of the sun was picture worthy as it rose behind a cabin on one of the ponds. Yes, the fish were biting--nothing big--but big on relaxation and renewing of the soul.

Later, as I reflected on Psalm 23, a sentence really jumped out at me: "He makes me lie down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul," with heavy emphasis on the He makes me. David didn't just wander out, find a great place to take a nap, and laid down. The Lord made him lie down.

What a revelation to me. Those few hours of fishing didn't mess with my schedule, and certainly revived me. The Lord didn't knock me down. But, He made it quite clear that I could take time for myself and it would not interfere with my schedule. (Tom B)

Action Point:

Don't get so bogged down in the things of everyday life. Take a break once in awhile. A vacation, a day off, or just a couple of hours can help you see things with much clearer perspective.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day:

Put together the things that you need for your favorite type of fishing. Place them in a small compartmentalized plastic box that can be purchased in any tackle shop. Have a rod rigged and ready to go. When the Lord "makes you lie down in green pastures,", you won't be able to come up with the excuse that it would take too much time to put together your tackle. Grab the box, your rod and reel, and just go.