Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doubles

Great discussion HRC Dogs...

I agree that Lardy's stuff definitely has a "field trial" flare to it. No doubt about that! I guess the point I was trying to make is that trying to use all different types of programs/advice can be very confusing for the handler and the dog. Believe me. I know from experience! I am one of those people who once I get into something I try to read, watch, listen, etc. etc. everything I can. Looking back this was probably not the best thing to do when I started out.

I'm am amateur too, which I think makes it that much more important for me to try and stick to one program. I just choose Lardy because...
    1. His material is out there and folks recommend it
    2. Alot of folks follow his program so I can ask questions when I mess something up, which is often. LOL
    4. He does his workshops in Boston, GA so I can go to workshop to learn more.

All the things you listed are definitely very important in training a hunting dog or running HRC/AKC hunt tests and are not covered in detail in Lardy's material (as best as I can remember without pulling out his manuals or DVDs lol). The poster was having trouble with his dog running doubles and Lardy's material teaches how to progress to that stage.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch for Mike Lardy. I just decided with my new pup that I was going to follow his program exclusively and it has made my life (and my pup's life) a lot easier.

Matt

Here is a good demonstration of Wagon Wheel. It is a drill used at the beginning stages of handling when working on lining your dog. I think this will also help you with working on doubles. Just my opinion.

Last edited by HuntinCosta; 03-13-2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Costa. What time in the trainning do you do the wagon wheel drill?
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

You do wagon wheel when your dog is ready to start handling drills. About the time you start doing 3 handed casting and pile work.
    Bay Creek Kennels- Hartsville, SC
    Owner/Trainer- Rhett Riddle
    Retriever & Obedience Training
    Cell-803-608-2252

Home of:
    HRCH Ace's Costa Del Mar MH. "Costa" 500 Point Club
    GRHRCH Costa's Signature Blend MH "Crown" 500 Point Club
    3x GRHRCH Crown of Ace's in Costa's Shadow MH QAA “Craig”

Hey Matt,

I thought I recognized the "tke0398". As you, for some reason retriever training has been a priority subject of mine for tangential learning over the last several years. Chris
    "I never met a dog I didn't like" ..slightly twisted words by Will Rogers

"When dogs make mistakes, don't hold it against the dog, point the finger at yourself"
    "If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    "It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy

Appreciate all the help from everyone, I will let you all know how it comes along. I am really just concentrating on making him a good hunting dog. Not to worried about trials or anything like that, I run hunt test but just to get live bird time. So hopefully I can get him turned in the right direction, feel free to give as much advice as you would like. thanks.

A lot of great advise here. Just wondering how old this dog is ? And remember to simplify until he is successful. Use white bumpers in low cover until he "gets it".
    80-20 Genaration

yes keep us informed we r on ur side....

Quote Originally Posted by HRC Dogs View Post
    Hey Matt,

I thought I recognized the "tke0398". As you, for some reason retriever training has been a priority subject of mine for tangential learning over the last several years. Chris

I hear you. Hate I didn't get to judge with you this spring. I was really looking forward to it. I'm sure we'll cross paths in the future.