Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: good, all around set-up

Default good, all around set-up

REALLY wanting to start flinging flies. Want a good, economical(i.e.- inexpensive/cheap) set up. Thinking about a 6wt. Going to be mainly used for flat fish and bass, but hopefully once or twice for some reds/trouts in the salt(never caught a salt water fish before, and I hear tell that Texas has some great wade fishing ). Looking at the Cabela's combos mainly, since there's a store between my house and the in-laws(and I'll be traveling by it in a week and a half). What other kind of gidgets will I need besides the rod/reel, line/backing/leader, and flies? Thanks fellas.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Is this a trick question?... a cool vocabulary of fly fishing lingo and no less than two new trout stickers on your truck?

what do I win?
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 02-10-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Been thinking about the same thing, but I want a 5wt I think. Figure I may as well check out flyfishing since I live 20 miles from the Big Horn River. Any suggestions?
    cut\'em

"my first real fly rod"??? ...so they say

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=18938
    Last edited by CAMO SNOB; 02-10-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Is this a trick question?... a cool vocabulary of fly fishing lingo and no less than two new trout stickers on your truck?

what do I win?
    You got any stickers I can borrow? I guess I need a TU sticker and a CCA sticker to start with, huh?
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Flat fish? I assume you mean panfish?

Best advice I can give you is this:
    You don't want to go for a single 5 or 6wt "all around" set up. it will be too much rod for panfish, and in most situations not enough rod for spottails.
    Get yourself 2 set ups.
    A 4wt 8ft for panfish and trout.
    A 7wt/8wt 9ft for spottails and largemouths.

IMO The 4wt will be perfect for panfish and small to medium trout, however i personally tend to prefer a smaller rod for a better fight.
    Pitching heavier flies like beaded woolys may take some getting used do, but it is quite do able and comfortable once you get the feel for it.
    Bass pro has a great little 4wt/ dogwood canyon. it has proven its worth. I have a little okuma reel with 5wt weight forward line. I like the 5wt line bc it loads faster while false casting.
    Start out this summer with a handful of popping bugs(with rubber legs) on small ponds, and you will soon see why topwater flyfishing for bream is a huge passion of mine.

I have an 8wt/9ft but my preference for smaller rods I generally use a 7wt/9ft for tailing spottails.
    I have no trouble casting any fly I want with the 7wt. I use 8wt floating line for tailing bass.
    Saltwater flyfishing will give you far more of a challenge than you will ever face with freshwater.
    Wind, grass,heavy flies, and spooking fish will all make you think about hanging it up for the first 5 times you go out.
    Stick with it though. You will learn something new every outing, and your tactics and skills will improve.

For the past 4 years, nearly all of my freshwater fishing has been done with a flyrod.

Good luck and welcome to the dark side.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I have some NWTF ones from back when I was in the Chinese wild turkey federation

what is the hell is TU?

flat fish ='s panfish

Start out this summer with a handful of popping bugs(with rubber legs) on small ponds, and you will soon see why topwater flyfishing for bream is a huge passion of mine.
    popping bugs on a bream buster got me hooked on top water when I was a little fella...'preciate the info bog

what is the hell is TU?
    Trout Unlimited. Send me the Chinese WTF stickers...I just got a new(to me) truck, so I need as many as possible(TU, CWTF, DU, Delta, FF, SCWA, CCA, etc. ) to get my window "right"
    Last edited by quackaddict; 02-10-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Bog, or anyone else...do you use regular mono as a tippet, or do you buy an actual tippet?

I'm still a little confused on the whole line thing. You need backing that ties to the reel and fly line, and a leader ties to a tippet, which the fly ties too? What is the leader made of, and is it necessary to buy tippets, or can you use mono?

The leader is tapered mono, usually. I have a few furled leaders made of string laying around which work pretty good, too. It helps in getting the fly to turn over.

Buy tippet material if you are going to be tossing dry flies. You'll need some light line to get through the eyes of some of the smaller flies. I used to carry about four different sizes of tippets 5X and smaller. If you could find some 2# and 4# mono or flouro, I doubt you could tell a difference, other than trying to tote around a big spool of line versus a smaller tippet dispenser.

wouldn't 2 or 4lb mono break pretty often?

Nah. Your most common tippets for trout are 4X to 6X, which is around 5# to 3# test.

i like a tapered leader. have to agree with bog that its hard to have a rod for panfish and redfish. you will have to find one in the 6 weight range but it will be too heavy for some apps and too light for others.

IMHO, unless you know what you are doing and have fished a lot with flyrods, you wont appreciate the difference between a $50 set up and a $500 one. Kinda like me and nice wine. I dont need a $50 bottle when the $15 bottle does just fine.

get a basic entry-level set up and all the leader material you will need....bc you will break off a lot....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

tradorion Coots

"Fly Fishinng" versus "Fishing With A Fly Rod".... a bit different in my opinion....

It can get as technical as you want it to- and you can get in a deep or deeper than you could imagine (and it can be pretty damned fun)- just check the Orvis Approved System if you doubt this LOL

The alternative is to get that one general rig- mine is 9ft and i have NO CLUE what the "weight" is..... i use a braided backing in case something good size runs all my casting line off.... i use weight forward floating line and the little barbed eyelets pushed into the end to tie anything from 4lb to 8lb monofilament (never have bought a "leader")...

I use flies and popping bugs and such and have caught bream, crappie, and bass in ponds, lakes, creeks, and rivers....

It ain't "classy" but it is damned effective and fun to fish with.

If you like it then later on upgrade and get you a sweet freshwater rig and then later another rig that will handle salt water abuse and redfish/trout talent.
    Last edited by tradorion; 02-10-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tradorion View Post

The alternative is to get that one general rig- mine is 9ft and i have NO CLUE what the "weight" is..... i use a braided backing in case something good size runs all my casting line off.... i use weight forward floating line and the little barbed eyelets pushed into the end to tie anything from 4lb to 8lb monofilament (never have bought a "leader")...

Like putting catsup on steak.

10-roger to all the above.

you could need 3 different setups on one POND much less freshwater vs. salt... I'd do like Bog said but stick to a med wt. for pond fishing with poppers for starters.

So do I need a leader and a tippet? That's whats confusing me more than anything, is the whole leader and tippet BS.

tradorion Coots

Like putting catsup on steak.

Shiiiiiit- this type system has worked on fish all over the state since i was 9years old.... I ain't feeling cheated the least bit- have fished with buddy's high dollar rigs on many occasions and its like Toofer's opinion to me- i can tell a difference between a Walmart Rig and and Orvis Beginner Rig but past that the differences are tooo minute for me to care about.

I do not obsess over ANY aspect when it comes to gear-deer, duck, turkey, fish- i go with good and serviceable.

Ironically, Trad can actually cast some fly line. I wouldn't have believed it either after reading what he just wrote had I not seen it with my own eyes.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead