Thread: Carbon vs. aluminum vs. Carbon aluminum

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Default Carbon vs. aluminum vs. Carbon aluminum

What are your thoughts on the adv/disadv of each? What do you shoot, why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Carbon Express Maxima Hunter for me.

Carbon is more durable, aluminum is more tunable, or at least it used to be when a large variety of sizes were available. It didnt matter what you shot there was an aluminum arrow that would fly well out of it without playing with point weight, nock weight etc...

Carbon doesn't bend permantently. Carbon/aluminums (ACC's) will bend but are still are VERY durable. I've got one ACC I've shot six deer with. Aluminum arrows make more noise as you draw. Arrows with aluminum are easier to find with a metal detector if you miss the target and slide one under the grass. All things considered. it's hard to beat carbon arrows.

aluminum has better tolerances..

carbon is good for huntin..

an aluminum arrah at 400grs is the same as a carbon arrah at 400grs

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

so, if you combine the two, the aluminum carbon arrow has the best of both worlds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

When they came out 15-20 years ago all carbon (pultruded) arrows werent very straight or consistent. You had to use outserts and glue on points and slip on nocks. Ive still got some old AFC's with glue on Muzzy 100's. They were a bastard to tune but penetrated better than anything Ive ever shot, and were durable, maybe too much so. I think the ACC was an attempt to overcome this. It was a lighter, straighter, arrow that was more durable than aluminum and consistant than carbon and had internal components. Its a very good arrow that been around a while.

Carbon has a higher strength to weight ratio than aluminum and is better suited as a basic material with much more performance potential than aluminum. Why it has taken a while to get good and will only get better has to do with cost/benefit given the design, engineering, manufacturing etc capabilities of the day. I watched fishing rod technology being developed on computers ten years ago that is just hitting the mass market within the last year or two.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

Waste of time to mix them, carbon is far superior, straightness and strength, penetration

full metal jackets... carbon core alluminum coat... very true arrow

carbon ... goldtip pro hutner if you want tolerances. 400=400 but the carbon will be much smaller and penetrate much better, used to shoot easton axis, but new bow shoots them through the block so i shoot goldtips.