Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rubberhead Yacht Club

better go camp out in your hole if u want to kill them ducks
    just saying

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Waccamaw are you related to quack kills or budscrunchylanyards??

i was thinkin trailer trash

Quote Originally Posted by Bwagz26 View Post
    Navigable Waters Law goes way back and it's history stems from commerce relating to timber transport. DNR uses this navigable waters law as there basis for determining if you are hunting in a legal location. It is one of those fuzzy areas for DNR to enforce. It is fuzzy because the purpose for the federal law has no relationship to duck hunting. But, It is what it is.

Here is a good link that tells about it.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...vigable+Waters

Then you can read this and get all confused
    http://www.lrh.usace.army.mil/Articl..._id=0&pge_id=0

Basically, when the waterway is NO longer navigable is fuzzy and will be up to the LEO if he thinks you have pushed the fuzzy line.

However, the second you step out of your boat and touch the ground on private land (accessible by from a navigable water way) you are trespassing

Thanks Bwagz, that is some helpful information.

Towman - I am heading out there after work today.

I have been duck hunting a long time, more than twenty years. I don't mind sharing areas with other people, I realize that you are going to have that on public water. What bothers me is that in the last 5 to 10 years we have had an influx of kids that aren't being taught the proper way to hunt. They see some duck boats on the road or hunt with some friends and decide they want to be duck hunters. Their parents buy them all the latest equipment (boats, decoys, float coats, camoflage Costas) but their parents don't hunt and are not around to teach them anything. They get out on the river at 2 am and run wide open through the fog, set up road signs for every creek, cram boats into small areas and sky bust every duck that they see. They have made it more dangerous and less fun to duck hunt in coastal SC.
    Having said that, I love to duck hunt and I will still be out there bitching about the rubberheads during the second split.

Quote Originally Posted by Waccamaw View Post

I have been duck hunting a long time, more than twenty years. I don't mind sharing areas with other people, I realize that you are going to have that on public water. What bothers me is that in the last 5 to 10 years we have had an influx of kids that aren't being taught the proper way to hunt. They see some duck boats on the road or hunt with some friends and decide they want to be duck hunters. Their parents buy them all the latest equipment (boats, decoys, float coats, camoflage Costas) but their parents don't hunt and are not around to teach them anything. They get out on the river at 2 am and run wide open through the fog, set up road signs for every creek, cram boats into small areas and sky bust every duck that they see. They have made it more dangerous and less fun to duck hunt in coastal SC.
    Having said that, I love to duck hunt and I will still be out there bitching about the rubberheads during the second split.
    Waccamaw, I see where you are coming from about the ones that do not do it the right way. But for those of us younger hunters that Try to do it the right way, by working hard to pay for our own boat, shells, gun, decoys, waders, etc., it is aggravating to be thrown in the same category as them just because we are younger. I appologize for anything out of line I may have said.

i can understand where your comin from about people not hunting right, but you def dont need to go critizing younger hunters there are plenty of us out there who have been taught the proper way to go duck hunting and have used their own money to go out an buy our own boats guns and decoys and if someone is in your spot o well should have gotten up earlier

Quote Originally Posted by mossburg15 View Post
    i can understand where your comin from about people not hunting right, but you def dont need to go critizing younger hunters there are plenty of us out there who have been taught the proper way to go duck hunting and have used their own money to go out an buy our own boats guns and decoys and if someone is in your spot o well should have gotten up earlier
    ECHO ECHO ECHO!!!!

Im assuming youre talking about the area between Plantersville and the South Santee River. If so that whole area is a damn zoo. Has been every since we had a 3 bird limit and thirty day season. Way more hunters than ducks. Has been for the last 20 years. As far as Rubberheads, they come in all ages. Seen some graybeards do some really dumb shit too. Had plenty of 30 and forty somethings try and set up in my hip pocket, but usually its a boat full of kids. You can save yourself some heartache by not hunting weekends, when schools out, or openers.

Waccamaw, now I see your point. Still don't like you criticizing our nice boats and trucks but agree with you on all the kids not willing to do it the right way. I was one that started out with no prior knowledge of duck hunting, but when I held things up at the landing one morning, i was out there practicing till i got it right not to do that again. When I got beat to a hole, i was out there earlier next time. My dad is one of those you criticized as not hunting. He never has much, will go with me once or twice a season and that's it. I started out hunting in a white scout that my uncle loaned me, a dozen hot buys I got for christmas, and my great grandfathers original 870 20 gauge field gun. If you see me at hagley one morning stop and chat if you have a second. Would like to meet up with you and maybe gain some knowledge, not holes, but chat. Good way of rewording what you meant.
    For the ducks

10-4 Waccamaw.

All jokes aside.. I see your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Dexter GETS IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII
    :ACC: :ACC: :ACC:

i traded my old boat for a new one with a big motor and my old truck for a new one.....does that classify rubberhead???
    Originally Posted by VaTransplantDuckHunter
    If scducks were to give out Emmys you would get one Robbos!

Quote Originally Posted by robbbos1 View Post
    i traded my old boat for a new one with a big motor and my old truck for a new one.....does that classify rubberhead???
    Nahh, you're from Pamplico, that just makes you a redneck. j/k

I shouldn't lump all of the young guys together, I know some that are hunting the right way. I have a neighbor who used to get his mother to take him to the landing and drop him and the boat off in the morning because he wasn't old enough to drive. I think he has learned the right way to hunt (although I think he was a little young to be out there on his own).
    If you younger guys know any of the ones I am talking about, it is up to you to teach them the right way to hunt. They're not going to listen to me or any of the other "old" men out there.

Ceddy - sounds like you have taught yourself how to be a good duck hunter and not a rubberhead. I was fortunate enough to have a father that loved to duck hunt. I was hunting with him when all I was allowed to carry was a Daisy lever action BB gun. However, he wasn't a deer hunter and I had to teach myself, I killed my first deer on my own when I was thirteen.

Anyway, it's cold out here on the river. I am hoping those three boats will show up with some coffee soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Waccamaw View Post

how did i miss this interesting thread?

You and i and every other swinging dick out there can bitch about sky busting etc but it's never gonna change, best thing you can do is if you see a kid who is willing to listen teach him what you can, do what you want with the rest.

And whats wrong with getting on the river at 2am and running wide open? Hell, i do, with no lights on simply becuase i know every inch of it. Whats wrong with marking creeks with reflectors, i never considered it in my mind set to think "oh look, reflectors, someone must have been slaying ducks in that creek" some may but i don't see how.

My dad didn't hunt the river, so remember, everyone needs a teacher. I considered myself lucky in that area, I had a uncle who i think very highly of, especially when it comes to ducks, he would point me to a few spots to scout and advise me on who was shooting and when. He taught me alot and the most important thing i ever learned duck hunting; he was a plantation guide and i knew if he ever heard of me setting up against a dike or skybusting, my source of priceless information would come to a halt. Him keeping me away from that style of "hunting" that everyone else did, taught me more than i could ever imagine yet i was teaching myself.

I do understand your point of view, just my $0.02
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.