Thread: Hunting on the Ground

Default Hunting on the Ground

I have been trying to kill a deer this year strictly hunting on the ground without the aid of a commercial blind. I have been making makeshift blinds from limbs etc. I have to tell you this is by far the hardest type of hunting for me. Today I saw six deer and had the oppurnity to shoot once but she caught me moving. The doe that busted me was being chased by a buck. I was curious why she was moving so fast. After she turned around I saw the buck with his nose to the ground chasing her. I can get them inside 20 yards I just can't close the deal. Any tips from some more experienced hunters are apprieciated.
    Last edited by HUNTINDUCS; 11-26-2009 at 08:52 PM.
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

Your blind is probably fine, you just need to have enough opportunities, of which you've yet to have.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Your blind is probably fine, you just need to have enough opportunities, of which you've yet to have.
    Lab, I ain't sure you're the right man to be giving advice on how to 'kill' something.

With your record of late I'm thinking you couldn't kill a no-see-um with a stick of dynamite.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 11-26-2009 at 10:19 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

I like to try to make sure i've got really good cover as well as a big ass tree in front of me. not so close as to hinder your draw, but close enough and big enough to give you a good opportunity to get drawn when the deer walks behind it. I don't deer hunt much from the ground, but if it works for turkeys, it will work for deer. good luck.
    \"Go to Know\"

Make sure it is completely black in the blind and brush it in well. A blind by itself stands out like a sore thumb. I always wait for them to turn thier head the other way most of the time. Good luck.

i actually kilt a nice 7 point of the ground without a commercial blind on public land this year and let me tell you that shit aint easy...the only thing that saved my life was the Tinks that the buck stopped right on top of just long enough for me to draw

TakeEm', that almost worked for me yesterday. I am still trying.

Riggs, I am not using a blind other than natural cover.
    You can't argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat your ass.

Me and my girlfriend sat by a tree onetime and started messing around. bout time i I was up her shirt two does walked out about 30 yards from us ate some acorns and walked off. haha. there might be some real majic to this tactic.
    Last edited by conder29020; 11-27-2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: typo

I'll see what I can do, today is my 10 year anniversary with my wife. You think is might work for me?

I think theres potential.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Got to shoot a doe this weekend out of a commercial blind from the ground. Was very difficult for me....waited what seemed like forever for deer to get where there wasn't one behind the one I was shooting, or facing me. Finally one got by herself and turned away...Top of my bow hit top of ground blind...of course, sookie turns towards me at full draw...held for about a 60-90 seconds...she wouldn't move...couldn't let my draw down without getting busted...took a bad shot with her facing me ...made a good shot, ran 75 yards...I promised myself that I wouldn't take that shot again even though it ended up good...
    After I shot her, had 4 more does come in ....they all came as close as 45'....had two walk past me at 15'....then, nice 8 came in and ran everybody out of town. Cool hunt, I just felt terrible for taking a bad shot. Live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

What worked for me is i was between two very large trees, kinda in a hole. You dont want to be just by some bush thinking its gonna give you cover, you want a dark hole to hide in. Also, the bigger the trees the better, you can hide in the shadows, find you a "hole" to back into on the edge of a swamp, etc. Your shot window will be limited but it will work.

I like large trees in front of me. That way i have alot of blind spots for the deer and points to draw back.

I've killed both turkeys and bucks off the ground within 20 yards without a blind and the most important thing i look at is the area the animal is coming through.
    Big trees = blind spots = dead shit.

one more thing... light camo..none of that break-up shit, the lighter the better.
    what kinda camo you wearing?
    Last edited by buckpro; 11-30-2009 at 04:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.